PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Chrome

Hans
09-22-2009, 11:46 AM
What's a good product to clean chrome rims and chrome bumpers? So many choices at Canadian Tire...

Giggle Squirt
09-22-2009, 07:23 PM
mr clean magic eraser!!! the extroa strong ones! wash the area first then wet the sponge and rub it with the eraser. Worked for me!!!!

Hans
09-22-2009, 08:26 PM
I am not sure if it has a coating on it or something? I don't want to take a chance and clean away the coating...
Maybe I try on my other car first, see what it does.

Giggle Squirt
09-22-2009, 08:55 PM
I have used it on chrome rims and bumpers. Just try it on a spot that is not right out in front. I have never had a problem. I use the erasers on everything from my car to appliances to bathroom faucets and have never had a problem. My sister is in the army and they use them to shine their belts. But they work better then all the expensive chrome polishes i have tried.

Jack Butler
09-23-2009, 09:15 AM
What's a good product to clean chrome rims and chrome bumpers? So many choices at Canadian Tire...

I am not sure if it has a coating on it or something? I don't want to take a chance and clean away the coating...
Maybe I try on my other car first, see what it does.

The coating is on the rims?
If it is, it is clear coated aluminum and needs something different than the bumpers.
Rim cleaner will be a spray on, using a soft brush to clean and rinse product as abrasives and/or chemicals used to clean chrome will damage the clear coat on the rims.
DO NOT USE SOS pad to clean the bumpers....any of the Mothers or Meguires products work great for chrome.
The Power Ball is a neat tool...really speeds things up, but can be messy.
Too quick or too much on the Power Ball, it will throw polish everywhere, so...
Kind of like a cake mixer.
Although getting a feel for it is easy with a cordless variable speed drill.

Hans
09-23-2009, 10:23 AM
I don't know if there's coating on the rims or not.
The rims are 20x8-inch Chrome-clad aluminum wheels.

I used Meguires spray-on rim cleaner, but I found it to be drying really fast. They say you have to spray them and clean the foam off after 15 seconds. Problem is I can't spray that fast and the foam is already dried up on one half of the wheel by the time I am done with the rest of the wheel.

Jack Butler
09-23-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't know if there's coating on the rims or not.
The rims are 20x8-inch Chrome-clad aluminum wheels.

I used Meguires spray-on rim cleaner, but I found it to be drying really fast. They say you have to spray them and clean the foam off after 15 seconds. Problem is I can't spray that fast and the foam is already dried up on one half of the wheel by the time I am done with the rest of the wheel.

If they are chromed aluminum than there is no coating.
Buy the power ball and some Mothers, if you like clean and shiny, you won't regret it.
This will also work on your bumpers.
The power ball saves a lot of rubbing....there is a mini power ball or a cone as well.
The amount of detail in your rim will determine what one you need.
For the spray cleaners, pre-wet the rim with water, spray on cleaner, brush it evenly as you can, getting in all the nooks and crannies.
There are many different soft long bristle brushes meant for this purpose.
The spray is good maintenance in between polishes.
If you can, remove the rim and clean the back as well.
You will be surprised by the difference....on the fronts especially!

Hans
09-23-2009, 11:47 AM
They are technically speaking Chrome on plastic on an aluminum wheel.

Jack Butler
09-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Ok....what?
Where does the plastic come in?
Aluminum rim with chrome plating....the chrome goes on the aluminum, no plastic.
Are you talking about a plastic centre cap or cover?

Hans
09-23-2009, 04:21 PM
http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/Chrome_Clad_Wheels.html

That's how they make chrome clad aluminum wheels these days.

Jack Butler
09-23-2009, 07:10 PM
OK.....I get it.
Something to make the chrome stick to the aluminum.
It's chrome...that's all that is important.
.....the rest is up to you!

Hans
09-27-2009, 09:19 PM
I just used Turtle wax ice wheel cleaner, and it worked great. Much better than the Meguires foam I used last week.

Jack Butler
09-28-2009, 09:13 AM
So....did you polish them?

http://www.motherspowerball.com/

DM46
01-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Ok....what?
Where does the plastic come in?
Aluminum rim with chrome plating....the chrome goes on the aluminum, no plastic.
Are you talking about a plastic centre cap or cover?

Alot of vehicles these days, specifically ford and dodge, come with aluminum rims that have a fancy plastic chrome that is physically attatched to the face of the rim and cant be removed.