PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 firmware mod?

tired-n-cranky
09-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Ok, I just scored an Xbox 360 Pro yesterday. As the case with my Wii, I am afraid of my original games getting killed by my 3 kids.

Anyone have experience doing the firmware mod on a 360?

filthy
10-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Ya I did my Elite, quite some time ago but just downloaded the new software bundle yesterday. It can be easy depending on which model/drive you have. Let me know if you need help...

Upper Decker
10-05-2009, 12:57 AM
think you could help me out with mine? ive got a 2008 20gb model with a liteon drive. i wanted to attempt it myself but it seems that the liteon firmwre mod for those drives is quite complicated. And my god i would love nothing more then be able to play backups of my $80 disks .

filthy
10-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Well once you backup your original BIN file, its not as scary. You must also know you shouldnt ever allow your console online anymore. I will have some time this mid week if you like.

B.David
10-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Well once you backup your original BIN file, its not as scary. You must also know you shouldnt ever allow your console online anymore. I will have some time this mid week if you like.

You shouldn't allow your console online anymore? What do you mean by that?

Strife
10-05-2009, 07:18 PM
You shouldn't allow your console online anymore? What do you mean by that?

It means you shouldnt allow your console to go online...

B.David
10-05-2009, 08:57 PM
No, you shouldn't avoid online, since that would be pointless. By modding the console, you risk having that specific console permanently banned from Xbox Live. Avoiding Live all-together just does what they are threatening to do anyway.

I've been running iXtreme 1.4 - 1.6 for over a year now, and I play most games early, except for Microsoft-published titles, and I play on Live quite often, with a burned copy of HALO 3 ODST, the HALO 3 Map Disc, and all other games. Never had a problem either. It's hit or miss on whether they'll catch you.

Strife
10-06-2009, 01:27 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but isnt a firmware flash reversible? If so, if you go online, MS bans your console, and now you are screwed. If you flash your console, play your backed up games, flash back and go online with legit games, doesnt that solve everything?

B.David
10-06-2009, 01:57 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but isnt a firmware flash reversible? If so, if you go online, MS bans your console, and now you are screwed. If you flash your console, play your backed up games, flash back and go online with legit games, doesnt that solve everything?

You can restore old firmware, yes. But, the system holds all data so it's still a possibility to get banned, even if you play while not connected to Live, and then re-connecting at a later time. Many people played a bad rip of Turok prior to its actual release, ethernet unplugged, and when they went on Live again they were instantly banned.

Hans
10-06-2009, 04:14 PM
I need some more information on this myself, as my son wants one from Santa.
Since he likes to throw his WII discs all over the place I am going to go with an xbox 360 that can play backups of the originals.
I have been looking of buying pre-modified, but the prices seem rather high.

B.David
10-06-2009, 11:45 PM
I paid $40 to have mine flashed, and the guy that does mine guarantees a replacement if he screws it up. So, I have over 50 legit games, and another 40-50 burned discs.. which equals lots of money saved.