PDA

View Full Version : savoy cabbage

kitca
10-06-2009, 11:29 AM
any good ideas? recipes? thanks.

bluekrissyspikes
10-06-2009, 11:59 AM
i make cabbage casserole but i don't really have a recipe. i just go by memory and sometimes i add different stuff or leave stuff out

cut up half a cabbage or so into little peices
hamburger
onion
celery
tomato juice
spices of choice
rice
frozen corn
other random veggies i have around

so basically i just cook the hamburger meat and when it's almost done i throw in the onions so they soften up. follow the rice directions to know how much tomato juice to add. i usually add a bit more juice than the rice will need cause i like it with rice overcooked just a little for this recipe. mix everything in a casserole dish and bake it around 325 or on low until the cabbage is soft and there is no more liquid left in the bottom.

it pretty much tastes like cabbage rolls but without all the work of rolling them.

kitca
10-06-2009, 12:25 PM
mmmm, i think im going to make that for supper tonite. thanks.

kitca
10-06-2009, 06:36 PM
it turned out great, and real easy. to make it even easier i just kept it all on the stovetop and it cooked beautifully. needed more liquids i found. i used one of those 20 ou. bottles of vegitable cocktail and also a can of beef broth. oh, and now there is brown minute rice! so its even healthier. thanks again.

bluekrissyspikes
10-06-2009, 11:27 PM
glad you liked it. it is pretty easy. i never thought of cooking it on the stovetop, that's a good idea. it's one of the things my mom used to cook all the time when i was little.

kitca
10-07-2009, 10:49 AM
i gotta tell my mom. she makes lazy mans cabbage rolls, but hers are work intensive. she makes the rice seperate. cooks the cabbage seperate, then lays them all down in layers in the casserole dish and then bakes them together with the tomato juice poured over top. this way was very fast and easy!

HDV
10-07-2009, 12:30 PM
My wife made this once, her grandmother use to make it all the time when she was alive.
Hamburger, cooked
rice
tomato soup
onion
cabbage

cook hamburger in pot with onion and cabbage
add two cans of tomato soup with two cans of water and then 3 cans of rice ( she uses minute rice ) and let it all cook together in a pot. It is very yummy and filling.