PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Stevia?

MaO3
10-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Looking for a bit of help with using Stevia? My BIL is diabetic and I make this sidedish that contains a LOT of sugar, and he absolutely loves it.
I'm going to attempt it with Stevia for thanksgiving this year for him.

I'm wondering if anyone has used the liquid version and what they thought of it?

NewCasa
10-06-2009, 12:57 PM
I've used the powdered version and the liquid version and found it excellent. Use it with quite a bit of moderation. It doesn't taste exactly like sugar, but in many things it tastes enough like sugar that you don't mind the difference. It is MUCH sweeter than sugar, however. At one point, they even had the plants at New North. The leaves were extremely sweet with no refinement at all. It is probably the best sugar substitute, since it is actually good for you - I'm told it is an antioxident.

MaO3
10-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks Nocasa, the dish I'm making cooks for a long period of time and when I make the regular version I'm always tweeking it, so playing with the amounts won't be a problem. I'm just hoping it tastes close enough.

Anapeg
10-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Being diabetic myself and VERY hard to convince my wife has had me eating stevia for a while now. I JUST found this bit of information out. I read your post and said there was no way in hell I would try THAT crap, hehehe, guess what?

MaO3
10-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm hoping it tastes close enough. I can't stand the aftertaste of the chemical sweetners, like equal or spenda. I'm really hoping that this doesnt' have that.

Of course the combo of flavours will probably drown out the taste of whatever I use to sweeten it.

Do you find it as sweet as people say?

yoda
10-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Ma03 where do you buy Stevia, at the Bulk Store or a health food store?

Anapeg
10-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Do you find it as sweet as people say?

I just tried it. Holy frig! Go light girl. A teaspoon of that in your coffee and you won't finish that cuppa.

Luv'inLife
10-06-2009, 03:50 PM
I use "KRISDA" brand, I get it at Romes and it is about $10. for 100 paquets, but it is the only one I have found that has zero aftertaste...a bit pricey for cooking or baking but its awsome too throw a couple packets in my purse for when I'm out.

MaO3
10-06-2009, 04:29 PM
I bought a bottle at the Vitamin / health store in the Station mall. Its called Now, and its a liquid extract, I paid $11.00 for a 60 mill bottle.

I read that with the liquid two drops is equal to two teaspoons?

NewCasa
10-06-2009, 04:33 PM
That's about right. It just looks expensive, but by the time you get around the price and start looking at how little you use to sweeten something it really isn't so bad at all. If you put a single drop in your mouth it'll taste so sweet it tastes bitter at first.

MaO3
10-06-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm going to try it in my coffee in the morning. I'm opposed to the artifical sweeteners, I'm really hoping that this ok.
I could certainly cut out sugar myself if it tastes good.

yoda
10-06-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm going to try it in my coffee in the morning. I'm opposed to the artifical sweeteners, I'm really hoping that this ok.
I could certainly cut out sugar myself if it tastes good.

My thoughts exactly, I think I'll try the powdered since I use 1/2 tsp of sugar now in my coffee or tea. The pwd will probably be easier to measure. Thanks for the info.

NewCasa
10-06-2009, 09:05 PM
About half of one of those packets of Stevia seems to do it in tea, if that helps.

Jackie B
10-06-2009, 11:34 PM
I've been using Stevia for years. I haven't had much success baking with it, but I may have been using too much. I have tried many kinds and I prefer the kind in the orange box at the Country Way. The least aftertaste of any kind, and in fact, they even have it in a "no aftertaste" version now, in the orange box. I forget what the name brand is.

MaO3
10-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Well just a quick update. I tried it in my 'sidedish' oh my god, ITS AWFUL. Thank goodness I only used a small amount of my base vegetable. Its totally ineatable.

So much for that. I guess its back to the drawing board for that idea. :(

kitty&mimi
10-28-2009, 08:28 AM
i find stevia to have an after-taste
i don't like it
i would use splenda, dont know if you mentioned you didnt want to use it since i didnt read all the responses on here...
dr oz had on his show blue agave as a sweetener, i want to try that....it's in the health section at rome's (i wont say A&P since the construction is making that place a mess, im sure it's there though)

another sweetener u can try is xylitol, just google it to find info, i found it at garden of eden on trunk rd

MaO3
10-28-2009, 09:08 AM
I ended up making it with Spenda Brown, it was a little sweeter then it ususally is but it worked out, and my brother in law was thrilled.