PDA

View Full Version : Apples, Apples, and more Apples

A*lil*Loopy
10-07-2009, 01:44 PM
This is the season and I'm overloaded and needing ideas. Might be good for some of us to share our favourite way to use loads of apples. I prefer to have mine frozen or canned as canning gives me a toasty warm kitchen on these crappy days.

So far I've managed to do down Apple/peach jelly, apple sauce and apple butter. I will be making pickled (sweet) apples and apple rings but I'm running out of ideas. My apples are all smaller variety, some crabs and just plain tart off the tree in the yard types.

So? Anyone want to trade or share ideas and recipes?

Sweet Little Sister
10-07-2009, 02:05 PM
i just made Mao's Rhubarb cake this afternoon with apples instead of rhubarb. very good..i added a bit of cinnamon with the flour.
i've made that cake with blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and strawberries and chocolate chips.

here is Mao recipe:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 ett
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup of buttermilk (or sour milk)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup oil
2 cups of flour
2 cups chopped rhubarb
(cinnamon & white sugar for garnish)

Beat sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla together. Add baking soda to buttermilk and add to sugar mixture, alternating with dry ingredients. Add rhubarb. Pour batter into a 10 inch square pane. Sprikel with cinnamon and white sugar. Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes, then turn oven down to 350F for an additional 20 minutes