PDA

View Full Version : Meatloaf

ssmarie
10-16-2009, 06:38 PM
I am looking for a recipe (that someone has actually made) for meatloaf that has stove top stuffing mix in it? Has anyone made this as I hear it is delicious?

Genny
10-16-2009, 07:01 PM
I make this all the time. My fussy eater does not know there is stuffing in it!

1 large onion, chopped.
3/4 cup ketchup, divided
1 1/2 lbs ground beef (lean)
1 pkg (120g) stove top stuffing mix for chicken
3/4 cup water
2 egg whites
1/2 cup shredded old cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 375 ...
mix meat, onion, 1/4 cup ketchup, stuffing mix, water and egg whites. Shape into 10 X 5 inch oval loaf in 13 x 9 inch baking dish, cover with remaining ketchup. Bake 55 min. to 1 hour or until cooked through. Sprinkle with cheese, bake 2 min. or until melted.

ssmarie
10-17-2009, 07:25 PM
ty..made this tonight and it was delicious - I will be adding it to my favourites.

Genny
10-18-2009, 08:10 AM
your welcome, glad everyone enjoyed it :)

really?
10-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Never heard of it? Trying tonite as I have all ingredients on hand. Sounds interesting...thanks!

bluekrissyspikes
10-18-2009, 05:30 PM
I make this all the time. My fussy eater does not know there is stuffing in it!

1 large onion, chopped.
3/4 cup ketchup, divided
1 1/2 lbs ground beef (lean)
1 pkg (120g) stove top stuffing mix for chicken
3/4 cup water
2 egg whites
1/2 cup shredded old cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 375 ...
mix meat, onion, 1/4 cup ketchup, stuffing mix, water and egg whites. Shape into 10 X 5 inch oval loaf in 13 x 9 inch baking dish, cover with remaining ketchup. Bake 55 min. to 1 hour or until cooked through. Sprinkle with cheese, bake 2 min. or until melted.

that's pretty much how i make mine too but i use italian bread crumbs instead of stovetop and dianna sauce instead of ketchup.... i'll have to try this variation out next time. thanks for the idea.

Giggle Squirt
10-20-2009, 09:49 PM
I have never made or ate meatloaf but this kind of sounds good minus the ketchup.

Fyre
10-21-2009, 05:47 AM
Meatloaf is good, giggle!
Makes for a great leftover as sandwiches the next day.

Jackie B
10-22-2009, 08:19 AM
I had 5lb of hamburger I had to prepare last night so I mixed this recipe up but threw the raw mix in the freezer. I'll let you know how I liked it next week. I usually have a german meatloaf recipe I use that has a pinch of cloves, some sour cream and other stuff, and then bacon across the top. It is to die for.

Jackie B
11-09-2009, 06:16 PM
We finally had the meatloaf the other day. Everyone in my family loved it except for the 5 year old. She has a texture issue though. My husband thought it was awesome, and said it's definitely a keeper.

ssmarie
11-11-2009, 12:38 PM
I tried this again and used condensed tomato soup instead of ketchup

kitca
11-11-2009, 04:02 PM
i have found the best meatloaf recipe. its in an old betty crocker book and its called fluffy meat loaf.

2 lbs ground beef (lean)
can mix in gd. pork if you want to
1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup oatmeal
2 cups milk
2 beaten eggs
salt, sage, dry mustard, pepper.
1 minced onion

soak the crumbs and oatmeal with the milk, add in the beaten eggs, add meat, onion & spices and mix up well.

delicious topping: mix ketchup and brown sugar together, like about a cup or so of ketchup and 1/3 c of br. sugar. and spread over raw loaf. we like the topping so much that i make extra and about 20 minutes before the loaf is done i put it in the oven in an ovepfroof dish because it needs to bake for awhile to get that good flavour.

bake for about an hour at 350.

SWRKR 01
11-11-2009, 04:30 PM
And here I thought you were going to sing Bat out of Hell, or Paradise by the Dash Board Lights!

I am totally disappointed!

nightingale
11-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Genny, I made your stuffing meatloaf for a crowd of people and it was a HUGE hit!!

I did just a couple of things different. I used the whole eggs instead of the egg whites.

For the topping a used a combination of ketchup, brown sugar and balsamic vinegar and mixed together. I didn't add it to the meatloaf until about 10 minutes before it was done and I didn't bother with the cheese and it wasn't missed.

I received HUGE compliments from everyone and requests for the recipe. I quadrupled the recipe and it made 4 very large loaves.

Genny
11-17-2009, 07:25 AM
nightingale, I am glad the meatloaf was a success! Your topping sounds delish. Going to have to try it next time - fancy it up a bit. :)