PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Pox vaccinations.

HDV
10-17-2009, 12:18 PM
we just brought out daughter for her vaccinations last week and 1 of them was suppose to nbe for the Chicken pox. the doctor said it was up to sus if we wanted her to get it and that it is not required. We held off and said we would have a decision when we bring her back for her 18 month shots. So...people with children that are young, did you get this shot for you child or not? Do you think it is good to get it or let them have the chicken pox? Also the doctor said that 50 percent of children who received it still got the C.P and had bad cases of it. So we are kinda iffy on if we are going to get it for her or not.

EyelashExtensions
10-18-2009, 05:33 PM
My daughter had the vaccine and still got chicken pox, BUT it was a very mild case. I would rather her have a mild case than full blown case. I'm glad now that I got it for her. I doubt there are very many people who haven't had it. Might as well minimize it as much as possible.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/immun/varicella.html

10-18-2009, 05:54 PM
My cousins little girl had the vaccine and got them BAD, her little boy had the vaccine and got a mild case.

10-18-2009, 05:55 PM
They are given in two stages, and are expensive. Unless OHIP covers it now.

chase_me
10-18-2009, 06:01 PM
OHIP covers them and it is one shot now t-pot My daughter got it at her 18 mth appt on the recommendation of our doctor.

10-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Sweet. My cousin was pissed, she was told to get them for her kids and they costed around $400. She didn't really have the money but she had the chicken pox bad and didn't want her kids to go through the same thing she did.

Well her daughter got them bad, but her sad had a mild case.

dancingqueen
10-18-2009, 06:13 PM
interesting how a medication that is not required is covered, yet there are so many required forms of health care that are not...

10-18-2009, 06:16 PM
In all fairness, Chicken Pox are contagious, diabetes is not.

I do see your point though.

bluekrissyspikes
10-18-2009, 06:28 PM
i didn't get it for any of my kids. i don't think it's necessary and i try to avoid sticking them with needles if i don't have to.

chase_me
10-18-2009, 07:59 PM
i didn't get it for any of my kids. i don't think it's necessary and i try to avoid sticking them with needles if i don't have to.

for us it is all part of 18 mth vacs they get 2 needles either way

bluekrissyspikes
10-18-2009, 11:22 PM
really? then i may consider it. it wasn't when my 3yo got his 18 month needles.

HDV
10-19-2009, 11:48 AM
I just brought her for her 15 month needles and she was suppose to get it then, but the nurse told us that we could think about it and do it on her 18 month. She said there is alot of controversy about it and it is not 100 percent effective and she said that most kids who got it that did get CP had bad cases of it. She said it is a live bacteria they inject and kids can get sick from it or can not react to it at all. All i know if that every single time my daughter has her needles she gets these high fevers of 102-104. for 2 days and is very uncomfortable and has a hard time sleeping.
So we are still debating it and will know when we go back in January for her next needles. We are still debating as well about her getting the flu shot and H1n1 shot. We have been lucky with her, she is 16 months and has never been sick with the flu, has had one cold in her life and it was very mild and lasted 2 days with just a stuffy nose. The doctors and our pharmacist were impressed..they said that by 16 months she should of been sick at least 5 times..lol.

Giggle Squirt
10-19-2009, 12:14 PM
I had to pay for my 6 year old to get the chicken pox vaccination when he was a baby. He still got the chicken pox but their was about 40 spots on his whole body and he wasn't very ill. My second son had it at his 18th month and I didn't need to pay for it. It is not necessary but as a parent I felt it was a good idea with my son becuase he has been in daycare/school since he was 16 months old.

verotik66
10-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Duration of immunity

Some vaccinated children have been found to lose their protective antibody in as little as five to eight years.[16] However, according to the World Health Organization: "After observation of study populations for periods of up to 20 years in Japan and 10 years in the United States, more than 90% of immunocompetent persons who were vaccinated as children were still protected from varicella."[1] As time goes on, boosters may be determined to be necessary, and introduced. Some persons exposed to the virus after vaccine can experience milder cases of chicken pox.[17]

Catching "wild" chickenpox as a child has been thought to commonly result in lifelong immunity. Indeed, parents have deliberately ensured this in the past with "pox parties" (see below). Historically, exposure of adults to contagious children has boosted their immunity, reducing the risk of shingles.[14] Second episodes of chickenpox have been rare, but occur and probably more frequently in the UK latterly[citation needed] and definitely more frequently in the vaccine group.

icecapp
10-19-2009, 08:12 PM
none of my kids fell under the coverage from ohip, we are covered through my husbands work,

But the way I see it is, they have not had them yet, either have I, I was never immunized and neither was my husband, if they get them once then I dont have to worry, if you immunize them they can still get them, so in my eyes, our parents had to deal with it, why cant we,,

Dr's are making bubbles around our children.. immunize immunize immunize, and you might just aswell wrap them in bubble wrap... JMO.

goodasgold
10-19-2009, 08:38 PM
All three of my kids have had the shot. My two boys got the needle when their sister was 18 months old. It was covered by OHIP so I didn't have not pay for any of them. My oldest is now 12 and no one has had chicken pox, though it has been in their classrooms.

Tutones
10-20-2009, 09:03 AM
really? then i may consider it. it wasn't when my 3yo got his 18 month needles.

It was covered for both my 5 year old (will be 6 in November) and 4 year old at their 18 month vaccination. They both received the CP vaccination, have both been exposed to CP since and neither has gotten CP. The main reason I had my kids vaccinated was because I have never had Chicken Pox and really don't want to get them as an adult either.

b&aMom
10-27-2009, 12:10 PM
My kids are older now, but I was hoping to get the vax for them, even if I had to pay for it. Then I found out it does not necessarily provide as long an immunity as actually getting chicken pox. We let nature take it's course, and they got it at the same time, ages 2 and 5, over Christmas holidays. Lots of itching, but they got through it just fine, and have not had it again. My husband was one of those kids who got it two or three times. He did not get it again when the kids had it, so I guess he finally built up a good immunity to it.