PDA

View Full Version : Question about resizing digital photos

gouligann
10-21-2009, 07:11 AM
I bought a photo booklet that takes 3x5 photo prints.

How do I downsize my digital photos to print them out at that size, or will they come out fuzzy if I downsize them to that size??
I guess what I need to know is the width and height in pixels if it can be done.

Hope you can help me.
Thanks!

NewCasa
10-21-2009, 07:44 AM
You pick either the width or the height and make sure you've selected the option 'maintain aspect ratio'. That way the software will automatically figure out the other measurement, based on keeping it a 3 to 5 ratio. Downsizing shouldn't make a photo blurry, but upsizing most often will lose some sharpness and lots of upsizing will result in more and more distortion.

kitca
10-21-2009, 04:40 PM
also, your photo editor may have a template option with lots of ready made templates. you can find the one that is 3x5 and drag and drop your photos into it.

gouligann
10-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks to both of you for helping. Hopefully I'll figure it out now.

Kitca, my photo editor doesn't have that particular size... go figure! lol

I wrote to Walmart photo lab and even they don't print pictures at that size. You'd think they would provide you with choices of most normal sizes.

NewCasa
10-22-2009, 01:49 PM
If the photo must be exactly 3 x 5 what you do is first size the photo to either the 3 or 5 dimension, maintaining the aspect ratio as I said, then you use the 'crop' tool to crop out just enough of the photo to make the other dimension exactly right. If the photo is very close and you don't want to crop, you can resize it once again, but unclick 'maintain aspect ratio'. The effect will stretch or compress the photo in the direction of the dimension you did not choose, but if it's only a little bit the distortion won't really be noticeable.

gouligann
12-02-2009, 06:47 AM
NoCasa, this digital stuff confuses me sometimes, but you did a good job explaining it. Thanks!