PDA

View Full Version : H1N1 Vaccination for young children, your thoughts.

HDV
10-28-2009, 11:58 AM
I have a 16 month old daughter and we are torn about whether or not we should have her vaccinated or not? Do you think it is safe for a child this young? Has anyone had their children done and how old are they if you did? Did they have any reactions to it?
I personally think they are making a big deal about this flu, but im not a doctor. I heard more people die from a flu then this virus. Watching the news they say it is extremely rare to die from it unless you have underlined health issues already. My daughter is healthy has no health issues, never has she had the flu or been sick, besides a stuffy nose once that lasted a couple day. I dont know what to do. I want to do what is best for her but I do not want anything happening to her. My wife refuses to take her shopping and out in the public until this swine flu is under control. But we can not isolate her.
So if anyone has any insight or has had their infants or children under 2 yrs old done let me know. Thanks :)

pickles for sale
10-28-2009, 02:57 PM
http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/frequently_asked_questions/what/en/index.html

Read this from the World Health Organization..
Educate yourself on the shot. It does contain thermisol, which has been removed from all other childhood vaccines excluding the regular flu shot.

verotik66
10-28-2009, 11:59 PM
your child will receive 2 half doses i think they are 2 weeks apart, read up about squalene before you make your decision, it is the adjuvant in the canadian vaccine.

If you can go to the states, you can get single dose injections of the vaccine without the adjuvant adn without the thimersol

verotik66
10-29-2009, 12:00 AM
the rate of death from the H1N1 seems to be double that of the regular flu season, so if they had 50 kids die last year, they would expect 100 kids die this year, it hits some kids hard.

HDV
10-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Well i got my wife to make the appointment for all of us to go in on monday and have ti done. She talked to my daughters doctor who said she recommends it but it has not been tested on children under 3 yrs old, but has been tested ion 40,000 adults. She also said my daughter will more then likely have flu like symptoms after she receives this shot. Well that sucks i think. i dont want her sick, this is the reason of getting the shot. So now we are back to square one of yes or no, or maybe just having us get the shot and not her? I dunno. She has 2 appointments one monday and the the other on the 23rd.
Has anyone had their child of know of a child under 2 who has had this shot yet? and if so how were they after?

animal lover
10-29-2009, 02:51 PM
It's realy a tough decision.
You hear so many contradictory stories.

My daughter made an appointment for herself, hubby and my granddaughter who is 22 months old.
She debated about it, but thinks in the end that it's the right thing to do.

When people heard about that 13 year old boy who died just a day or so after feeling ill, I think it scared a lot of people.
They say young children are at a high risk.
I guess it just boils down to what you believe.

Ive been debating getting the shot myself because I have a very compromised immune system.

decisions, decisions...

LettuceLady
10-29-2009, 11:05 PM
I have been back and forth and back and forth with this. I work in the schools as an EA so I am at high risk. I decided that me and my children are going to get the vaccine.
H1N1 is in Fort McMurray and area and has had ovr 60 confirmed cases. My children need me and I need them. I would hate to not get the vaccine and god forbid something happen to my children and I have to live wth the guilt.

lk_wicked
10-31-2009, 08:35 PM
7 year old today at emerg was diagnosed with H1N1. saw it today. mine are all getting vaccinated asap. when questioned by my relatives who are still sitting on the fence, I said, how many people have already died with H1N1? Who are the most targetted high risk groups? Can you really choose to not vaccinate for fear of long term effects, or is the higher short term risk of death more acceptable.?

Sure, I am scared to vaccinate, but I am more afraid of not getting the vaccination. My children have additional high risk factors in addition to their age, like history of bronchitis, pneumonia, crohn's and asthma. So, I can live with the idea that by vaccinating them, I gave them every chance to fight this H1N1 and survive.
I can live with that, as opposed to losing them, and wondering every day for the rest of my life, If I had vaccinated them, would they still be here.

And for the record, we don't get the regular flu shots, but we did get the H1N1 vaccine.

just a thought to share with others who are still sitting on the fence. You dammed if you do, and dammed if you don't. so the question at the end of the day is, what can you live with?

before i got them vaccinated, since i did it on friday, i called my own family doctor for his advise and opinion. each child is different. the vaccines are not a live vaccine, and it is good to understand the differences between live vaccines and not live vaccines.

HDV
11-01-2009, 10:44 AM
We are all getting our shot tomorrow evening at the Cambrian mall. My wife has agreed to it after thinking long and hard. My child does not have any health issues but I do not want her to get sick with the H1N1. My wife thought it was alive vaccine. So i guess a live vaccine is worse the a dead done right? But we are doing it. If she does get sick from it i dont think it will be as bad as if she had the H1N1 virus.
you are right though, your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

lk_wicked
11-01-2009, 04:39 PM
[QUOTE=hundred_dolla_villian;509938]We are all getting our shot tomorrow evening at the Cambrian mall. My wife has agreed to it after thinking long and hard. My child does not have any health issues but I do not want her to get sick with the H1N1. My wife thought it was alive vaccine. So i guess a live vaccine is worse the a dead done right? But we are doing it. If she does get sick from it i dont think it will be as bad as if she had the H1N1 virus.
you are right though, your damned if you do and damned if you don't.[/QUOTE

if you are immunosupressed or immune compromised then a live vaccine can certainly do you great harm. My doctor has not allowed my son to have any live vaccines since he was 11 years old. so yes a live vaccine does pose more risks then a dead one.

lk_wicked
11-01-2009, 04:43 PM
we got our vaccines done on friday morning. our arms were sore about an hour later, felt achy with a headache for a night and a day. and we are all back to normal today.

so far so good. and considering the group health is vaccinating over 1300 people a day, pretty sure if the risks were so high, we would have more and more reported cases of the seriousness of the sideeffects of the vaccine, then is being heard right now.
there are always going to be a percentage of the population that have serious side effects for any drug, vaccine, or medical procedure.

HDV
11-03-2009, 10:17 AM
We got our shots last night. So far so good. Only issue we have had so far is that my wife and I both have very sore arms where the injection was. Feels like someone punched us very hard in the arm. Can lift it all the way up and is very tender and a little swollen. Other then that we are all ok and the baby seems to be fine so far, no fever yet. Her arm does not seem sore yet.
My wife is glad we did it now. She was hesitant but now she feels like it was the right thing to do. The baby goes back on the 23rd for the 2nd dose.

I feel a little run down this morning, sorta have a headache and achy feeling but it is either from the shot or that i went to bed at 4 am and was up at 8..lol.