PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin pie ??

heintzman
11-06-2009, 09:47 PM
does anyone have a tried and true recipe for making your own pumpkin pie filling,,, I have a few pumpkins and i want to try it out !! thank you in advance!

A*lil*Loopy
11-07-2009, 07:28 PM
We tried it too this year and my recipe is from an old DoubleDay cookbook. You may have to add 1/2 tsp each of ground cloves, allspice and cinnamon and I believe evaporated milk. That's the most I can remember without my old cookbook in front of me. I can copy it for you but it would have to wait til next week.

We did it this year and it was great, not to mention that I've got tonnes of pumpkin in the freezer now.............with no additives.
I get to use it for pumpkin pie, pumpkin loaf, etc.

Just cut your pumpkin and take the seeds out. Place it cut side down (if it's huge do it in chunks) and bake it covered for about an hour or hour and a half until it's fork tender.
Cut the skin off with a thin knife. Put it through a press or you can just mash it.
Place 2 cups to a freezer bag and voila!! Set for a long time for cheap.

It doesn't matter what kind of pumpkin it is, it tastes the same but the big ones are cheaper.

SEEDS::::: wash them, rinse them and soak them for a half hour in brine. (1/4 cup salt to 2 cups hot water) Drain them, DO NOT rinse. Arrange in a layer on a pan (or cover pan with tinfoil) and bake at 200 for about an hour. Don't trust my time judgement, I had to keep checking. They were awesome with just enough salt to taste good without being too much.

kitca
11-08-2009, 11:35 AM
im sorry, this isnt a pie recipe, but i wanted to share my cake recipe. take a spice cake mix or a yellow cake mix, add one can of pumpkin or pumpkin pie mix and one egg. mixture will be thick. use an oblong cake pan andbake as you would for a cake, 350 for 30-4- min. its moist and light.

heintzman
11-08-2009, 01:28 PM
thanks ladies!!