PDA

View Full Version : metatonin

kitca
11-08-2009, 12:03 PM
does anyone here take melatonin? i have been taking it for the last couple of years. ive done a few google searches about it and its effects. i believe it has wonderful properties that are good for us, and it is said to help with SAD too.

but, i have the itching side effect. last nite confirmed it. i couldnt put 2 + 2 together. some nights the soles of my feel are so itchy, but not other nites. (melatonin only works as a sleep aid for me if i take it intermittently).

i did a search this morning and find that itchiness is a definite side effect. now i feel better knowing that i dont have something wrong with me.

does anyone else have any effects from taking it?

Fyre
11-08-2009, 05:17 PM
I take LunaSom PM somtimes when I can't get to sleep. I've never noticed any side effects, and I don't take it on a regular basis. Are you taking just Melatonin, or is it a mixture of other ingredients?

bluekrissyspikes
11-08-2009, 07:50 PM
my step-son takes it and he needs to take days off when it starts to get ineffective. as far as i can tell he has no side effects, but he's only 4 and doesn't talk much.

kitca
11-08-2009, 08:28 PM
no, just plain old melatonin.

Fyre
11-10-2009, 02:02 PM
I was thinking maybe you'd have less side effects if you used what I use. It has Willow Bark, Valerian and Chamomile in in also. I've also used just Valerian to get myself to calm.

http://www.lunasom.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=1

kitty&mimi
11-10-2009, 06:01 PM
is melatonin safe to take? overall, i mean
i thought there was a big controversy about it

kitca
11-10-2009, 06:06 PM
what is the controversy? i havent heard anything. everything i see tells me that it is so good for you and also helps with sleep.

fyre, i will look up your link, thanks. all of those other ingredients are known for their calming effects, i bet that combination would work well. i have valerian, but have never used it. the vet told me to get it for my dog ages ago in the liquid form. he used to freak out at the groomers.

bluekrissyspikes
11-10-2009, 06:16 PM
melatonin is supposed to be completely safe. it's a chemical your body makes naturally when you start to fall asleep and it's also an antioxidant and helps kids with autism or fetal alcohol syndrom. i was assured by the doctor and the health nurse that it was not something that could hurt you or become addictive.

pattycakes13
11-10-2009, 09:17 PM
i have taken melatonin since my son was born 2.5 years ago as i had huge anxiety at night and nightmares, it helped me hugely to sleep calmly and comfortably. I recently stopped taking it as i am trying to have another baby and was told by my doctor that it is unsafe to take during pregnancy. I had three HORRIBLE sleepless nights as my body was trying to adjust to not having the melatonin in my system anymore, it was hell, but i feel fine now and am still sleeping well at night. Anyone who says your body can't become dependent on it is lying.

Amaranth
11-10-2009, 10:49 PM
I was thinking maybe you'd have less side effects if you used what I use. It has Willow Bark, Valerian and Chamomile in in also. I've also used just Valerian to get myself to calm.

http://www.lunasom.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=1

Valerian works well for me to ease minor anxiety or help me stay asleep once in a while. But WOW, does it ever smell bad lol.

yoda
11-10-2009, 10:52 PM
my husband tried 3 mg of melatonin at bedtime and the next morning he kept dozing off on the drive to work. He said he may try a 1/2 tablet next time.

kitca
11-11-2009, 12:05 AM
pattycakes, from everything that i have read your body starts loosing its abilty to produce it as you age. if you are of childbearing age you are still probably prodcing enough, but as you get older you produce less and less.

i have also been reading that it is an important part of our makeup and is good to take as it decreases.

Fyre
11-11-2009, 02:52 AM
Valerian works well for me to ease minor anxiety or help me stay asleep once in a while. But WOW, does it ever smell bad lol.

Lmao like dirty feets!

Fyre
11-11-2009, 02:53 AM
fyre, i will look up your link, thanks. all of those other ingredients are known for their calming effects, i bet that combination would work well. i have valerian, but have never used it. the vet told me to get it for my dog ages ago in the liquid form. he used to freak out at the groomers.

You're welcome. If you can find the Valerian capsules, that's what I take.

kitty&mimi
11-11-2009, 08:38 AM
what is the controversy? i havent heard anything. everything i see tells me that it is so good for you and also helps with sleep.

years ago, im talking YEARS!
i would love to try some as i am having trouble with sleep
what is the smallest dosage available
i was reading up on it and .03 is effective, can u get that small amount?

yoda
11-11-2009, 09:14 AM
the lowest dose that I saw was 3mg, but I didn't look at the health food stores.

kitca
11-11-2009, 11:06 AM
i have only seen it sold in the 3mg. they also say that in the case of melatonin less is better. dont try and use more, stick with the least amount. i think this is the recommended dosage. i have seen them in capsules and timed release tablets.

ill have to google a controversy sometime when ihave a minute and see if anything comes up. everything ive read recetnly praises the stuff.

bluekrissyspikes
11-11-2009, 03:59 PM
they come in chocolate flavoured melty strips too. i'm not sure how strong each one is. you can rip them into smaller peices. they are less than $10 for 30

bluekrissyspikes
11-11-2009, 04:02 PM
http://well.ca/green/products/jamieson-melatonin-3-strips_10797.html