PDA

View Full Version : Internet Kicks me Off

H.E. Pennypacker
11-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Wondering if anyone knows why when I am downloading a torrent, my internet will kick me offline? It doesn't do it on just one single computer either. I am on Shaw, use Vuze as a tracker, Windows XP, wireless Router (Linksys). If i repair, or ipconfig/release and renew in prompt, it will fix itself for a bit, until it kicks off again.

any ideas? it only happens when i download a torrent for some reason..

Hans
11-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Problem is your router.
Torrent uses P2P protocol, which uses a large amount of connections at any given time to download files.
Your router can not handle the amount of simultaneous connections and drops the LAN connection, locks up, hangs up.

Best way to fix this issue is get another router that works properly, or use different firmware for your router.
As a last resort you can configure your client to limit the number of concurrent connections and the speed at which it tries to establish connections. However, this will cause the performance (speed) of your downloads to drop down.

What's the model number on the router?

Also, Vuze is a client, not a tracker.
I would switch to utorrent as it's a much better client in my opinion.

H.E. Pennypacker
11-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Problem is your router.
Torrent uses P2P protocol, which uses a large amount of connections at any given time to download files.
Your router can not handle the amount of simultaneous connections and drops the LAN connection, locks up, hangs up.

Best way to fix this issue is get another router that works properly, or use different firmware for your router.
As a last resort you can configure your client to limit the number of concurrent connections and the speed at which it tries to establish connections. However, this will cause the performance (speed) of your downloads to drop down.

What's the model number on the router?

Also, Vuze is a client, not a tracker.
I would switch to utorrent as it's a much better client in my opinion.

hans, i totally agree, i made the switch to utorrent, and i love it already.. it's just how azureus used to be. in fact, since i switched tonight, it hasn't hung up at all... i'm going to have to blame it on vuze, since i finished the torrents with no problem on utorrent, going simultaneously.
my router is the linksys WRT54G

Hans
11-10-2009, 09:57 PM
With that router I would install DDWRT firmware to really open it up.

H.E. Pennypacker
11-11-2009, 12:24 AM
With that router I would install DDWRT firmware to really open it up.

do you happen to have a link?

Shawn
11-11-2009, 02:01 AM
www.dd-wrt.com

I use vuze and have never had a problem with it. I like it because I can download something and then stream video to my xbox 360 or ps3.

I have also never had a problem with how much or how fast I download stuff... I was downloading stuff last week at 2.5Mbps and uploading at 100kbps without any issues.

But I do agree upgrading to dd-wrt is the way to go. WRT54G are a little harder than a WRT54GL router. The one problem is I don't believe you can go back to the linksys firmware on the G version but on the GL you can... You can't believe how handy the GL's can be when you screw up a firmware install...