PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to Windows 7

Insanity
11-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Okay here is the deal. I am thinking about upgrading to Windows 7. When I bought my computer it came with Windows Vista. As it stands, I am fairly satisfied with Windows Vista. Contrary to public opinion, Windows Vista has been very good to me. It has only messed up on me once and it was my fault. Other than that it has been very reliable. I dont really need all the bells and whistles although it wouldnt hurt. My question is, is the upgrade from what seems to be a reliable system to a new operating system that might be buggy worth the money Microsoft wants?

8th
11-14-2009, 06:59 PM
I was in the same boat,but bought the upgrade for 130 bucks and love it,it transfered all my files and pics over and is running flawless-- download and run this to check for issues http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

Shawn
11-14-2009, 08:25 PM
For the most part I would stay with windows home premium or windows professional. Ultimate really does not have anything extra except for more languages, bit locker and 1 other thing which most people don't care about anyways. Pro would give you probably the best bang for your buck if you need stuff like remote access... If you just want to be able to do normal day in day out stuff then home premium is probably the best to stick with.

Another thing too is if you are running home premium vista you can't just upgrade to pro 7. You have to do a fresh install... but if you do home premium to home premium then you don't have to do anything it will just upgrade for you...

Insanity
11-15-2009, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the info. I hate upgrade discs only because if I have to format and reinstall, I have to first install Vista, than install Windows 7 which takes a long time. I think if I am gonna upgrade, it will be a full retail copy.

KDawg
11-15-2009, 08:26 AM
Pro would give you probably the best bang for your buck if you need stuff like remote access... If you just want to be able to do normal day in day out stuff then home premium is probably the best to stick with.

Shawn, are you referring to "Domain Join?" How is this different from connecting to another computer or network using Remote desktop in Vista or XP? RD allows you to log into any computer in any network, as long as you have the proper privileges.

Win7 Home Premium still has remote desktop, doesn't it?

I'm so confused!

8th
11-15-2009, 09:05 AM
home premium does have remote access

Hans
11-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Home Premium does not allow incoming remote desktop connections.

That being said, you can use http://www.tightvnc.com/ and save yourself the trouble of upgrading to the Pro version if you want to have that feature. I have not tested it under Windows 7, but I know it works perfect under XP and is better than the remote desktop from Microsoft.

8th
11-15-2009, 09:27 PM
thanks I'll bookmark that in case I need it sometime

Bluesky
11-15-2009, 09:48 PM
So I got a new laptop today. And it comes with Windows 7. So far, it looks very much like Vista. What does Win 7 do that wasn't there before?

8th
11-15-2009, 09:58 PM
split screen webpages and or documents for one

DeleteAccout
12-06-2009, 12:42 PM
I just installed Windows 7 the other night. Im running with Home premium. Seems to be almost the same wwith a few upgrades. There was no drastic performance increase or decrease however.

All in all, it's just ..... "new". I fail to see the big deal about it.

Scoff
12-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I hate upgrade discs only because if I have to format and reinstall, I have to first install Vista, than install Windows 7 which takes a long time. I think if I am gonna upgrade, it will be a full retail copy.

I know years back you used to be able to have a clean disk and try to do a fresh install using an upgrade disc but the system would end up asking for another operating system. When it didn't find the primary OS it would then ask you to insert the disc of the "full OS"; only to verify that you do indeed have it. Then it would say "Please insert upgrade disc" about 2 mins after and voila ... clean install "upgrade" version. I would assume they still do that, I'd lose my mind if I had to deal with that.

Scoff
12-17-2009, 02:49 PM
I just installed Windows 7 the other night. Im running with Home premium. Seems to be almost the same wwith a few upgrades. There was no drastic performance increase or decrease however.

All in all, it's just ..... "new". I fail to see the big deal about it.

I said it before ... Windows 7 = "Windows Mojave"