PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Tidbit of Info - Vista / Win 7

NewCasa
11-16-2009, 01:09 PM
I was on a call with a level 2 tech from Xplorenet for quite a while last night trying to straighten some things out. One of the things that came up was that we're running out of numbers to use for IP addresses so Microsoft has decided to expand the address length. Where before it was 4 groups of numbers, they've expanded it to 6 now. If you look in your network properties you'll see that there's a 'version 4' and a 'version 6'.

The tech said that for the next couple of years you might as well shut off version 6 since the IP's haven't expanded to 6 parts just yet, but will in a couple of years. He said that keeping version 6 running now will just bog down performance.

Not sure if I've got the whole story right, but I know I'm pretty close.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Hans
11-16-2009, 02:14 PM
IP6 versus IP4. It has been around for a while now. IP6 is also available under XP.

It will take a very long time to switch to IP6, as every router on the internet will have to be IP6 compatible. Since there are millions of those scattered all across the globe, it will be a hectic undertaking.

I foresee IP4 to be around for a long time.

NewCasa
11-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Interesting, the tech I spoke to told me he'd been part of the development team for Win 7 at one point. He said that basically when Version 6 goes in XP will be dead since it did not have the capability. Easy enough to find out for sure if you've got an XP machine hanging around, which I don't unfortunately.

Hans
11-16-2009, 02:26 PM
I would say your tech did not know his "tech".

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727021.aspx

NewCasa
11-16-2009, 02:30 PM
I would say your tech did not know his "tech".

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727021.aspx

Point taken. Now I'll know for next time I'm talking with him, which I hope doesn't come.

For anyone interested in Xplorenet - it's a pain.