PDA

View Full Version : I need a new tv...

Saultgirl
11-18-2009, 06:47 PM
What's better, plasma or lcd? Anyone know of any really good deals going on right now? I'm thinking in the 42-46" range.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
11-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Go See Rich @ Sears and he will tell you the pros and cons for each. Even if you dont end up buying it there he will give you the best advice. Sears will match the competition however...

8th
11-18-2009, 06:52 PM
mind your own business 6th I was thinking of asking her to shack up!

official soonet pu$$ycat
11-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Im not sure on rules about crossing the border and such or if its worth it but on Black Friday, walmart will have 42 inch LCD's for 448 bucks.

BrAt
11-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Is that even good? I mean.. we paid $600 for our 42" at Future Shop. I'm not sure what the exchange/duty fees are but it might be about the same to get one here.

official soonet pu$$ycat
11-18-2009, 07:03 PM
If you can get one here for that price then that would be better. I thought they were close to a thousand bucks.

Evil Monkey
11-18-2009, 07:05 PM
http://www2.visions.ca/Catalogue/Category/Default.aspx?categoryId=2

Check this website. They have awesome deals and future shop will match their prices.

official soonet pu$$ycat
11-18-2009, 07:07 PM
If you buy from future shop and the tv goes on sale in a 1-3 month period do they refund the difference.

Evil Monkey
11-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Usually refund it within 15ish days.

official soonet pu$$ycat
11-18-2009, 07:09 PM
I was wondering just in case they go on some sort of boxing week sale. That would be my luck.

Evil Monkey
11-18-2009, 07:11 PM
I was wondering just in case they go on some sort of boxing week sale. That would be my luck.

Even if they did you would probably have to camp out to get one and not worth it in my mind.

official soonet pu$$ycat
11-18-2009, 07:14 PM
No I mean buy it before christmas and just go in for a refund if it does go on sale. I avoid stores near boxing day. Unless you meant Id have to wait in line for the refund in which case youre right its not worth it. Like when people are willing to stand in line for 6 hours at no frills pushing through tons of people to get pizza pockets for a buck. Not for me.

Evil Monkey
11-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Most stores have those policies where boxing day or one day sales can not be redeemed on previously purchased merchandise.

official soonet pu$$ycat
11-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Oh well then. Ya sometimes its just not worth it.

A*lil*Loopy
11-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Sony Bravia LCD in that size is ranking tops in Consumers Reports right now. Price is high but quality is great!
I've been shopping too but I need more important things first.

IMHO
11-18-2009, 08:01 PM
feb 09..bought plasma..love it...price 1299..Leons

NOW same set...I see advertised for as low as 899

I should have waited.

Plasma is great if you have a need to watch from an angle.

answerman
11-18-2009, 08:37 PM
plasma good for dark room, truer blacks, lcd for well lite rooms, lcd can't make black, plasma=power hog compared to lcd-comes down to where it's placed and what you are doing. if you are a gamer do not get plasma, images may burn in cheaper models. plasma is cheaper in the big range 50+inches

GRUMPY
11-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Go See Rich @ Sears and he will tell you the pros and cons for each. Even if you dont end up buying it there he will give you the best advice. Sears will match the competition however...

If you do go to Sears it might be best to phone ahead that way you might get service.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
11-18-2009, 09:11 PM
The electronics area is a small department and he has always been there when I have gone. As for other areas, I agree...

HDV
11-19-2009, 12:46 PM
What's better, plasma or lcd? Anyone know of any really good deals going on right now? I'm thinking in the 42-46" range.

I have a 42 inch lcd and i love it. When the wife and i bought ours from the brick they saleman told us that with the plasma tvs you have to get them charged every few yrs and it costs over 100 to have that done. So we went with lcd. Save some hassles down the road.

Upper Decker
11-19-2009, 01:03 PM
I have a 42 inch lcd and i love it. When the wife and i bought ours from the brick they saleman told us that with the plasma tvs you have to get them charged every few yrs and it costs over 100 to have that done. So we went with lcd. Save some hassles down the road.

Biggest load of BS ive ever heard. Even straight from LG's mouths themselves that isnt true.As I spent a pretty penny on my 46" LG plasma I wanted to get the ins and outs of my tv i bought last year. I had inquired about because if burn in or having to "charge" my tv was going to be an issue, I wanted a service plan from LG directly rather then get raped on the Futureshop service plan. I never got the service plan as the burn in isnt really an issue, it doesnt require "charging" , and LG said providing my foot doesnt go through it or any other physical damage done to it personally they would repair or replace my tv up to 7 years from purchase date.

Saultgirl
11-19-2009, 01:31 PM
ok, next question: Should I buy any "service plan" and/or warranty that they try to sell with it?

Evil Monkey
11-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Muntz has some awesome deals right now on Panasonic. They have a 46inch for $899 and it looks awesome.

Hans
11-19-2009, 03:41 PM
In my opinion no, since they drop in price so fast it's not worth having it repaired a couple of years from now.
And if it required repairs within the next couple of years it's more then likely a crappy tv anyways.

GRUMPY
11-19-2009, 03:50 PM

the Brick is famous for the lowlife characters they have as salesmen in this village, but luckily the worst ones have moved on.

Evil Monkey
11-19-2009, 04:08 PM
the Brick is famous for the lowlife characters they have as salesmen in this village, but luckily the worst ones have moved on.

hahahahahahaha

HDV
11-20-2009, 11:58 AM

True I guess. I did not think that they had to be charged but I was quoting what the guy at the brick told us. I read up about it and they do not need to be charged. I would still go with LCD before plasma anyways.
I wanted to shop around for a tv but my wife was shopping for a new sectional and we were at the brick and she saw a 42 inch lcd for 450, it was a great sale so she wanted it and we got it....lol.
We had to pay a tv tax too when we bought it. I asked the salesguy ( bald dude) if it was true about charging plasmas because i never read up about it and he said it was true and they had to be charged every 6 yrs or so and the cost was just over 100 bucks. I think that they need to educate this dude before he sells anymore tv's.

Hans
11-23-2009, 12:29 PM
I got the 52 inch Sharp from Leon's (LC52E77U) and the Sony Amplifier (STRDH800) from Future Shop.
With my Cerwin Vega 5.1 speakers I am all set for a good home theater experience.

403_forbidden
02-22-2010, 03:11 PM

They need to take that sales man out of the electronics department at the brick!!! I can't believe someone even thinks that you need to "charge a plasma set with gas" I wonder who he is as I want to go in and ask him where in town I charge my plasma set LOLOLOLO....man I hate when I hear about mis guided information from sales people....I am surprised he doesn't tell you you need new crystals in your LCD TV every year....LOLOLOLOO

Bill Nash
02-23-2010, 02:48 AM
I have a chance to get a Samsung 42" plasma for $579.00. Is that a good deal?

NewCasa
02-23-2010, 11:59 AM
They need to take that sales man out of the electronics department at the brick!!! I can't believe someone even thinks that you need to "charge a plasma set with gas" I wonder who he is as I want to go in and ask him where in town I charge my plasma set LOLOLOLO....man I hate when I hear about mis guided information from sales people....I am surprised he doesn't tell you you need new crystals in your LCD TV every year....LOLOLOLOO

You mean you don't need to change the crystals? So what am I supposed to do with all these extra crystals I bought????

GRUMPY
02-24-2010, 11:58 AM
throw them at Brick salesmen.

Barry Morris
02-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Sorry I'm late.

How about a 65 inch touch screen??

Only 25 big ones.

TheManInBlack
02-25-2010, 11:51 AM

Your too much LOL can't get past that I wouln't spend 40 minutes on boxing day talking about a 30 dollar dvd player eh

when I was at the brick I sold hundreds of tv's and never had a complaint. I've sold to ALOT of members on this forum as well. The sony wega lcd projo's were awesome tv, I still have mine after 5 years and it looks sharp as the day I bought it.

Don't listen to Grumpy what he knows about t.v's wouldnt cover the head of a pin. And by pin I mean his head.

LCD and Plasma are both great. Refresh and contrast ratio is what is important now.

A*lil*Loopy
02-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Sorry to say but that Sony 50" Wega lcd rear projection that you sold me is no longer looking so good. The blue is gone and I've already changed the bulb as it warned me it needed..........turns out I'm in need of a colour chip.
So, for the price of it which is around $1000, I'm most likely going to be buying something different. No more projections, and certainly no more Sony Wegas. It was a problem for them years ago and it was apparently solved, but I guess I got the lucky set.............oh yay for me.
I'm going lcd but not sure yet which brand, but it has to be thin and hang on a wall.

I don't like plasma as it seems to shadow and isn't as quick as I'd like. I like detail that isn't floaty.

Upper Decker
02-25-2010, 07:26 PM
I adore my plasma, when I get a proper HD signal going through it the picture quality is perfect in my opinion. Bluray movies make it feel like im watching the movie live in a theatre (ie: its a live action play).

TheManInBlack
02-28-2010, 12:16 AM
Sorry to say but that Sony 50" Wega lcd rear projection that you sold me is no longer looking so good. The blue is gone and I've already changed the bulb as it warned me it needed..........turns out I'm in need of a colour chip.
So, for the price of it which is around $1000, I'm most likely going to be buying something different. No more projections, and certainly no more Sony Wegas. It was a problem for them years ago and it was apparently solved, but I guess I got the lucky set.............oh yay for me.
I'm going lcd but not sure yet which brand, but it has to be thin and hang on a wall.

I don't like plasma as it seems to shadow and isn't as quick as I'd like. I like detail that isn't floaty.

Sorry to hear you had those issues. I havent had to change the bulb in mine yet. But for the 139 bucks it will cost I'll be doing that instead of buying another.
I read on the internet that some have issues. Seeing that a plasma and lcd were around the 4000-5000 mark when you bought your tv 5 years ago those werent really an option.
I had another customer with a colour chip problem after 3 years with their hitachi dlp. They had an extended warranty and it was fixed for free. Some people think the extended warranty's are a rip off. that 300 buck investment saved him 1500 bucks.

We sold about 300 of those tv's over 3 years they were the best on the market. Your the first one in town I've heard had a problem. Now as mine they are not available for purchase the flat screens are here and selling for 700 bucks

Ultra54
02-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Whats the deal with the refresh rate on Plasmas? I believe my 52 Panasonic Plasma is claimed to be 500 or something yet the only option when my computer is hooked to it is 60 hz.

TheManInBlack
03-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Whats the deal with the refresh rate on Plasmas? I believe my 52 Panasonic Plasma is claimed to be 500 or something yet the only option when my computer is hooked to it is 60 hz.

Does it look ok?? I've never seen a tv that size hooked up to a computer. Could make WOW really fun

Ultra54
03-01-2010, 08:01 PM
It looks and works terrific. I use a dvi - hdmi adapter also.

Legendguy
08-22-2010, 09:24 PM
A couple things and inaccuracies on here: As everyone else has said Plasma's do not need to be charged. I highly doubt the salesman actually believes this and if I think I know who said that it would not surprise me them lying to get a sale on a more expensive LCD. As for gaming the new plasma's are fine as they all have whitewash built into them that eliminates the ghosting you get from static images. Mine is an older model that doesn't have that feature and it can be resolved by leaving it on a snow channel for an hour or so.

I would buy a plasma for picture they are simply amazing and the new ones have about the same lifespan as an lcd. For watching movies they are incredible especially blueray as the theatre quality the other poster spoke of is not far off. I watched Dark Knight on mine and incredible is all i can say and as I say and my plasma is a few years old. Futureshop has a great tv right now a 42 inch plasma for 599, LG i believe. If you are looking for a good price and a warranty then Leons cant be beat. Their warranty includes inhome service through soo video. I payed a lot for mine but it was well worth it.

Anyway that is all

Good Luck