PDA

View Full Version : Another noob question

Saultgirl
11-20-2009, 09:28 AM
I am shopping for a new tv. I'll probably buy one at Sears this weekend.

Question: I currently have just standard shaw cable with my old tv. Do I need to upgrade my tv service?

NewCasa
11-20-2009, 09:54 AM
What you've got from Shaw right now should work just fine with the new TV.

Evil Monkey
11-20-2009, 10:44 AM
If you are going to an HD tv I would upgrade the shaw to an HD one with pvr. Check out this TV as I think it is a pretty good deal
http://www.sears.ca/product/lg-plasma-720p-42-hdtv-42pq30/57139030?ptag=1

NewCasa
11-20-2009, 10:51 AM
If you are going to an HD tv I would upgrade the shaw to an HD one with pvr. Check out this TV as I think it is a pretty good deal
http://www.sears.ca/product/lg-plasma-720p-42-hdtv-42pq30/57139030?ptag=1

Not trying to undermine your post EM, but you don't NEED to do the upgrade. It's just a nice to have.

Evil Monkey
11-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Not trying to undermine your post EM, but you don't NEED to do the upgrade. It's just a nice to have.

I never said she needed to just that this is what I would do. If you are spending the money on a TV that has HD capabilities then why not use it to it full potential. Go big or go home!

Upper Decker
11-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Id get just a basic HD shaw box and build a pvr myself.You get way more use out of homebuilt media center over those crummy overpriced shaw boxes. Standard digital cable is also very disappointing on higher end HDTVs.(which is why almost all of my tv shows are on bluray to playing from my media center so I can enjoy high def all the time)

HDV
11-20-2009, 11:59 AM
We have a hd/pvr box from shaw and to tell you the truth, you only get a couple free hd channels and the ones you pay for are ones that are free on other channels. So i think the hd from shaw is a rip of personally. Just because your tv is hd does not mean every channel you watch is in hd.

Upper Decker
11-20-2009, 12:07 PM
We have a hd/pvr box from shaw and to tell you the truth, you only get a couple free hd channels and the ones you pay for are ones that are free on other channels. So i think the hd from shaw is a rip of personally. Just because your tv is hd does not mean every channel you watch is in hd.

You nailed it right on, thats why I havent even considered an HD box yet. That and to pay an arm and a leg premium to watch the same rerun crap overbloated with advertisments is ludacris. (That rant is at the TV provider)