PDA

View Full Version : Try outs to open for kiss

OU812
11-24-2009, 07:32 AM
can't believe no one has posted this yet. Next week at the canadian there will be a competition with the winners opening for kiss. origonal tunes a must from what i hear. good luck to all!!

Babzz
11-24-2009, 07:34 AM
wow!!

Fingerbang
11-24-2009, 10:08 AM
can't believe no one has posted this yet. Next week at the canadian there will be a competition with the winners opening for kiss. origonal tunes a must from what i hear. good luck to all!!

Here is the line up as of this morning posted on the Sault Metal Scene site and Freq's Music Planet site.

Dustin Jones & The Rising Tide, Stillbroke, Middle of Nowhere, Dirty Virgin, Flat Stanley, Lion Ride, Garden of Bedlam, Caveman Morrison, Bring the Fallen, The Fury, Gsis Murphy, Stifflers Mom and Wishbone. I apologize if I've missed any. There are still spots available as I believe Sootoday posted 20 spots total were available.

OU812
11-24-2009, 02:27 PM
all great acts . that one will be tough to judge. do we have an exact time and date?

Babzz
11-24-2009, 05:30 PM
can anyone go and watch the try outs?

Greenman
11-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Now's your chance Wishbone...... Giver :pclap:

OU812
11-25-2009, 07:30 AM
not sure of the details. i know spectating is open to public but i'm going to call canadian to get details.

RobFRules
11-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Hey, it's Rob from The Sault Metal Scene, thanks for the plug! It's definitely open to the public, $4 cover, though it isn't all ages. Each night's sets start at 9:00 PM Monday thru Wednesday, full details (Well, as much as I know, there's nothing official announced) at http://saultmetalscene.blogspot.com!

Oh, and the lineup? Add Nebraska Arms, Sykotyk Rampage, Huckster, Sense of Truth, Inside Spiral, The Billy Bästards, Blues Harvest, and Nixxon Dixxon. That amounts to 21 bands, so one band must have dropped off. Don't quote me on this, but I think one is Dustin Jones & The Rising Tide, cause they have conflicting dates in Southern Ontario next week. Miguel Gauthier's band MBM had confirmed too, but they dropped off cause their drummer is unavailable.

Lineups with sources to date are at the site (17 bands have confirmed days), I'm going by what people are telling me and what I've found. The Canadian and Rock 101 have made no official statements, so I'm working with what I have. Hope this is some help!

X-Man
11-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Doesnt anyone kinda think this is a farce? A great opportunity yes but think about it. Here's a bunch bands in SSM "Competing" in a battle of the bands for a possible opportunity for the opening slot should KISS decide that the band that WINS is a good fit.

So why have a battle if the winner might be ousted anyways, because they got more friends in the bar? Just send the CD's to KISS and let them decide.

Besides look at all the BS in the city already. To some of the threads in here to some other "dysphunctional disturbed individuals" on other far worse trashy websites I wont mention. This event wont accurately present to KISS who "SHOULD" have the gig based on "The best fit". I can just imagine all the backstabbing and BS thats gonna happen with this one.

I've seen just about every original act the city and each & all are great bands in thier own way & on may levels but who's gonna be the best fit? I'm not sure a "battle" is gonna give KISS the best outcome for this one.

There's 2 for sure that will fit and maybey 2-3 that should have a chance in my oppinion.

This should be "interesting"

fenderbass
11-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Doesnt anyone kinda think this is a farce? A great opportunity yes but think about it. Here's a bunch bands in SSM "Competing" in a battle of the bands for a possible opportunity for the opening slot should KISS decide that the band that WINS is a good fit.

So why have a battle if the winner might be ousted anyways, because they got more friends in the bar? Just send the CD's to KISS and let them decide.

Besides look at all the BS in the city already. To some of the threads in here to some other "dysphunctional disturbed individuals" on other far worse trashy websites I wont mention. This event wont accurately present to KISS who "SHOULD" have the gig based on "The best fit". I can just imagine all the backstabbing and BS thats gonna happen with this one.

I've seen just about every original act the city and each & all are great bands in thier own way & on may levels but who's gonna be the best fit? I'm not sure a "battle" is gonna give KISS the best outcome for this one.

There's 2 for sure that will fit and maybey 2-3 that should have a chance in my oppinion.

..Nicely said,,,I think there will be only three that will make a good fit..I bet your thinking about the same three I am...

fenderbass
11-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Also Caveman Morrison is a late added band...They will be there tonight...

RobFRules
11-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Same for Tiny Trebuchet, a band that I know nothing about, but thanks to an e-mail with Alli J from Rock 101, I can confirm they're playing tonight! Also scratch The Fury, they definitely aren't playing anymore. Should be a good one, hope you guys make it out!

X-Man
11-30-2009, 06:53 PM
..Nicely said,,,I think there will be only three that will make a good fit..I bet your thinking about the same three I am...

most likely i am.

Sunshine19
11-30-2009, 09:58 PM

I mentioned in another thread .. KISS has final say .. so I am sure that they will want either audio and or video to see as well. KISS has done this contest in several canadian cities during the summer .. doesnt really matter who wins the popular vote .. if KISS dont like them .. and prefers someone else to play .. that is who will play.

I think it is the fun of competition that will make all these bands bring out the best in themselves that will make it worth it.

this is a chance in a lifetime .... and just to think .. that every band has a 1/20 chance of opening for one of the greatest rock band ever.

Adamantium Productions
11-30-2009, 11:35 PM
had a great time tonight!! alot of good bands wow i really liked the band with al watson it was rad and different .. and the sax band was kinda cool to good groove to them .. all in all it was a great time .. we were number 5 on the list to play so we'll see how it plays out i guess :D

Thanks to all who came tho

X-Man
12-01-2009, 09:04 AM
I was also thinking that instead of having only 1 winner, why not have a top 3. Send all top 3 band demo's for the ultimate prize. That way there's more selection for KISS to pick from and increases the chances for 1 of 3 SOO bands instead of one 50/50 chance of 1 band based on a "GREAT FITTING" opening slot. Lets face it, who knows who's gonna get the one & only shot & how they got it, so it may totally be a band thats not really fitting to open for KISS. Me personnally i dont want to see anything less than a KIK A$$ rock band opening up. How would you guys feel about having tickets for Miley Cyrus opening up for Megadeath? ...You get the picture.

If you have only 1 band win an opportunity, then you decrease the chance's of having anyone from the soo get the gig. It would be nice to see at least someone get it and it would be a shame to have only 1 battle winner get tossed. So I say increase KISS'S options for the opening slot and its a win - win situation to get an opening band period, because as i know it, there's no one other than KISS playing on the bill, so to me its a no brainer.

OU812
12-02-2009, 09:01 AM
went last night. totally blew my mind. can't believe the amount of talent in this town. first time hearing lion ride and i gotta tell you never have i seen so much energy. solid solid solid. billy ******** solid. out of 10 bands last night i would have picked 8. i guess that doesn't make me a good judge.
x-man, you are right. except they should send a video of 20 bands , one song each. let them decide. there's no way i could have decided if i was judging. when you look at how the bands perform within the genre that they play, the choice gets even harder.
great show ! amazing talent!

X-Man
12-02-2009, 09:05 AM
went last night. totally blew my mind. can't believe the amount of talent in this town. first time hearing lion ride and i gotta tell you never have i seen so much energy. solid solid solid. billy ******** solid. out of 10 bands last night i would have picked 8. i guess that doesn't make me a good judge.
x-man, you are right. except they should send a video of 20 bands , one song each. let them decide. there's no way i could have decided if i was judging. when you look at how the bands perform within the genre that they play, the choice gets even harder.
great show ! amazing talent!

I agree 100%

italiandomino
12-02-2009, 09:25 PM
i still put my money on Lion Ride !!!!

HBomb
12-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Gsis Murphy for sure!

Haaaa just kidding.

Jack Butler
12-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Congrats to Buzz and the Boys, great job!

Metal rockers Garden of Bedlam were selected early Thursday to open for KISS at the hottest band in the world's December 15 Essar Centre gig.

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/full_story.asp?StoryNumber=43213

OU812
12-03-2009, 10:35 AM
i went last night . WOW! had a fantastic time and everyone that performed brought their A game. i figured garden or lion based more on presence because i thought everyone played great. awesome night. we've got to get a venue together that showcases these origonal acts. i was completely blown away by how much diverse talent is in this town that i have never seen before. if lion ride puts that much energy into an entire nights performance then they've got a new fan.....me. garden's song writing, tightness and overall energy was amazing. everyone that competed should be proud. congrats!!!

Jack Butler
12-03-2009, 12:35 PM
WTF?
Last night, the DJs said that Kiss, has left it in their hands, to decide a winner.
Which is it.....why have a winner......?
Where did the Sootoday get their information?
.....brutal!

Organizers will send a videotape of the event to the band, which will have final say. Although San Angelo et al will forward recommendations, "If you know Gene Simmons, he takes control of everything.

http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2204497

OU812
12-03-2009, 01:23 PM
i see what you mean. wtf just about describes it. that's gotta be adding stress to the situation. anyone from rock 101 want to comment? my perception of the contest was that the winner is the winner.

X-Man
12-03-2009, 02:06 PM
like i was saying before, if the Kiss has the final say, why not send both bands demo's so at least KISS has a choice. Both Bands Lit it up as far as i'm concerned. It was a tight battle thats for sure, but instead of having a "Winner", have "Top Prospects" or "Top sugesstions" for the gig. Let KISS decide. But w/e...thats just my oppinion. Its would kinda add to the suspense if KISS got to decide with more than one band making it to the end.

Great show though, everyone played thier A$$es off.

I had a great time.

Jack Butler
12-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Agreed....give them the top 5.
LOTS of talent...lots of really good bands.
The Canadian lucked out, big time...awesome show!

Jack Butler
12-03-2009, 06:22 PM
The radio this afternoon repeated that GOB will be the opening act.
Maybe the Sault Star will do a correction tomorrow...ha, ha, ha!

italiandomino
12-03-2009, 09:14 PM
great way for Gene to preview some local talent for his own record company

Jack Butler
12-04-2009, 12:25 AM
He, He...that's why, it's already been decided, that GOB is opening.
What don't you get?

italiandomino
12-04-2009, 05:14 PM
He, He...that's why, it's already been decided, that GOB is opening.
What don't you get?

i am not sure that you even get it lol

Jack Butler
12-04-2009, 07:28 PM
i am not sure that you even get it lol

.......Riiight!