PDA

View Full Version : snow tires

_daynzy
11-25-2009, 08:40 AM
ive been looking at snow tires online

is it really bad to put only 2 snow tires on? every website seems to say that you have to do all 4

anyone only do 2?

_daynzy
11-25-2009, 08:50 AM
answered my own question i guess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdtAm7RsTmE&feature=related

Barry Morris
11-25-2009, 10:56 AM
I drove for many years without snow tires. Is it harder?? Sure, but it can be done.

Pushing snow tires is good for the economy, and allows the city to go easier on plowing.

In other words, a scam.

The video shows one thing very clearly, that they don't mention. Slow down, and you won't have a problem.

Anapeg
11-25-2009, 03:29 PM
ive been looking at snow tires online

is it really bad to put only 2 snow tires on? every website seems to say that you have to do all 4

anyone only do 2?

I use Blizzaks in sets of four. GREAT! Even my two wheel drives are incredible regardless of road surface and we do a lot twixt here and Timmins, year round. Take 'em off in spring or they will scrub themselves to death in no time though. Cars, half tons and four wheel drives, all do better and you needn't compensate for conditions near as much.

Barry Morris
11-25-2009, 03:52 PM
.....you needn't compensate for conditions near as much.

Too bad that means "you can continue to drive like an idiot, " in the Sault.

Ya know why Toronto drivers are better?? Because they have major highways to kill off the turkeys!!!!

Anapeg
11-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Too bad that means "you can continue to drive like an idiot, " in the Sault.

Ya know why Toronto drivers are better?? Because they have major highways to kill off the turkeys!!!!

You are so right. I do enjoy the driving experience more with the Blizzaks just the same. Kind of puts the fun back into it by compensating for poor suspensions.

_daynzy
11-26-2009, 08:44 AM
I drove for many years without snow tires. Is it harder?? Sure, but it can be done.

Pushing snow tires is good for the economy, and allows the city to go easier on plowing.

In other words, a scam.

The video shows one thing very clearly, that they don't mention. Slow down, and you won't have a problem.

True.

I drive without snow tires on my 2wd truck too. I'm looking for more of a peice of mind knowing that if she needs to stop quick, she'll be able to.

Plus shes a woman driver, they never slow down or compensate. :D :D :D :D

Barry Morris
11-26-2009, 10:29 AM
...Plus shes a woman driver, they never slow down or compensate. :D :D :D :D

Ah.

My wife has a heavy foot, too.

DM46
11-27-2009, 06:56 PM
If it is a 2wd car, put them on all 4 corners. If you dont, its essentially turn the car into a drift machine. The 2wd pickup you could get away with putting 2 on the back.

Jack Butler
11-28-2009, 02:26 PM

In other words, a scam.

Your definition of scam is different than mine.
The difference in traction is there at all speeds, making it safer.
I don't see the difference if you drive the speed limit, faster or slower...added traction is added traction.
To say slow down and you won't have a problem is not good advise.
Setting your driving skills aside, most people could use some help, so.....
The difference is enormous....I'll be glad when it's mandatory

Barry Morris
11-28-2009, 03:44 PM
My "slow down" refererence was to the video. I'm sure any of us could negotiate those corners by merely slowing down a bit.

It will become mandatory when the insurance companies want it to be. Like motorcycle helmets.

Jack Butler
11-28-2009, 04:15 PM
My "slow down" refererence was to the video. I'm sure any of us could negotiate those corners by merely slowing down a bit.

It will become mandatory when the insurance companies want it to be. Like motorcycle helmets.

Not quite sure where you are going with that one?
You say it like it shouldn't have happen?
.....another conspiracy?

_daynzy
12-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Ended up getting some hercules wanli winter challengers... seem like great tires, and for under $350 installed for 4 they were a great deal

General Lee
12-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Add where did u pick them up

_daynzy
12-05-2009, 01:27 PM
total tire

General Lee
12-05-2009, 03:58 PM
thats a good price what size were they?

wildswing
12-13-2009, 09:37 PM
I don't post much here, but thought I'd toss in my 2 cents since I just installed the winter tires on my wife's Honda CR-V. I admit to being one of those that never used winter tires. The CR-V has AWD so we've driven it for 6 winters with all season tires. I've driven for 25 years without winter tires. I only bought the winter tires because I couldn't pass up the deal. I must admit that the difference between the all season tires and winter tires is amazing. This is our 2nd season with the winter rubber.

I bought them on close out special from http://www.tirerack.com in the fall of '08. Five Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 tires, mounted and balanced on steel rims for $85 USD each (rims $46, tires $39). I had them shipped to Weir's. Shipping was $150 USD, but that order included 5 Yokahama Avid TRZ all season tires as well (10 tires).

euro
12-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Do not use 2 snow tires--it's downright dangerous. In fact do not use snow tires, be sure to get the "ice" tire. Do stores still sell the old style snow tires? Ice tires have a mountain and snowflake symbol on them. Regular tires marked mud and snow (M+S) are pretty useless on ice. I learned a lesson with them on Old Garden River Road but that's another story. I also learned a lesson about 2 snow tires vs. 4 coming down McNabb hill--also another story.

Blizzaks are awesome, Nokians are good too but I don't know who sells them locally. I tried Toyo ice tires, they were alright, but not as good as Blizzaks IMO.

Everyone talks about how the ice tires help them go but where I found they really shine is when you want to stop. All season tires just don't cut it.

YMMV