PDA

View Full Version : BUY Need Parking Brake cables for 03 Sonata.

Kesler84
11-25-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm looking for both parking brake cables to fit a 2003 Hyundai Sonata, 2.4L, Drum brakes. If you have parts or know where they are please let me know asap.

Barry Morris
11-27-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm looking for both parking brake cables to fit a 2003 Hyundai Sonata, 2.4L, Drum brakes. If you have parts or know where they are please let me know asap.

Some parts ya just can't get used. Buy new.

Are they REALLY seized up?? If you can get them out, you might be able to free them on the bench.

Kesler84
11-27-2009, 10:20 PM
ummm... I dunno. Guy at the mechanics said I need new ones for certification. I will order them from the dealer, i was just hoping to get them sooner then next thursday.

Browster
11-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Did you try any part stores in town?

Anapeg
11-28-2009, 05:40 AM
ummm... I dunno. Guy at the mechanics said I need new ones for certification. I will order them from the dealer, i was just hoping to get them sooner then next thursday.

Get the old ones and work on them on the bench. Like Sound Bear says, its messy but quick. You will need a vise, a pair of vise grips, lots of penetrating fluid, perhaps some heat and another pair of hands isn't to be sneezed at. Being an '03 they can't be that bad. Save some cash and time.

Barry Morris
11-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Get the old ones and work on them on the bench. Like Sound Bear says, its messy but quick. You will need a vise, a pair of vise grips, lots of penetrating fluid, perhaps some heat and another pair of hands isn't to be sneezed at. Being an '03 they can't be that bad. Save some cash and time.

Hey, you describe exactly what I do!!

I HAVE substituted a bungie cord for another pair of hands on occasion.

BTW, check with the mechanic to make sure he will accept freed up cables.

One thing just crossed my mind. He MIGHT demand new cables to cover himself, because he does NOT want to test them in the shop and have them seize on, leaving him a jackpot.
Something to consider.

Tell him to give you the old ones back if he changes them.

Anapeg
11-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Hey, you describe exactly what I do!!

I HAVE substituted a bungie cord for another pair of hands on occasion.

BTW, check with the mechanic to make sure he will accept freed up cables.

One thing just crossed my mind. He MIGHT demand new cables to cover himself, because he does NOT want to test them in the shop and have them seize on, leaving him a jackpot.
Something to consider.

Tell him to give you the old ones back if he changes them.

A bloody bungee! I would never have thought. Perfect! All you need is that tension to cause the cable to slip. Clever duck!