PDA

View Full Version : Have you heard any of the entries for the open for KISS contest?

TheManInBlack
11-27-2009, 09:44 AM
I havent seen anything yet

Koss
11-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Yes - I've heard a couple of them and actually own a couple of their albums. Monday should be interesting if your going to the Canadian to listen to the entries. The genres of music will be all over the map.

TheManInBlack
11-27-2009, 10:16 AM
WHo are the entries can you list them? the only one I know and have heard today is the gsis murpgy one and I wasn't a big fan of that song it sounded like 80's loverboy

Koss
11-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Huckster (a new local band) and Fogol's Chair is also on the list. Fogol is heavy - real heavy.

Scoff
11-27-2009, 11:00 AM
WHo are the entries can you list them? the only one I know and have heard today is the gsis murpgy one and I wasn't a big fan of that song it sounded like 80's loverboy

haha, I never realized they started writing and when I heard they did I asked if it sounded like the "Slippery when Wet" album at all.

I was thinking 80's too ... I'd like to check it out though, they're probably the "old-school" tribe out of the bunch.

I vote for the Billy Bast@rds though. Good energy & tunes.

TheManInBlack
11-27-2009, 11:19 AM
haha, I never realized they started writing and when I heard they did I asked if it sounded like the "Slippery when Wet" album at all.

I was thinking 80's too ... I'd like to check it out though, they're probably the "old-school" tribe out of the bunch.

I vote for the Billy Bast@rds though. Good energy & tunes.

its one facebook on their page search gsis on facebook
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?react=1259339048%3Ab08c616410c8021711a929 5fc212b020#/video/video.php?v=187494116509&oid=220169009174

Scoff
11-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks MiB

TheManInBlack
11-27-2009, 11:31 AM
np, just not a fan of their original stuff. Seems a little bland. Maybe they need someone to produce it a little better

Scoff
11-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Shh, don't say that too loud ... I believe Keith & Tony do their own. ;)

Keith had the studio in his basement last I heard. I'll have to give it a listen at home, can't view much at work.

verotik66
11-27-2009, 01:27 PM
so monday and tuesday night at the canadian 4 bucks cover, should be a decent showing of local bands. Gsis murphy at the bottom of my list, they should leave the loverboy inspiration in the closet.

Xzavia
11-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Pretty sure I read on Facebook that "Flat Stanley" was trying out for it as well.

Xzavia
11-27-2009, 04:01 PM
According to a thread in MC, Wishbone and Stiffler's Mom have thrown their names into the hat too.

Sunshine19
11-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Please also keep in mind that the winner of this contest dont have a quarantee to open for KISS .. KISS must approve the band as well. After that joke of a band that opened for KISS in Soo MI, that looked like clowns, they put it in their contract that they must approve all bands that open for them.

Lion Heart has the best shot at opening. if I was to put money on it. They will get the opening slot. The Billy B@stards are a great band, I know the guys in the band, so I hope they get a good shot at it.

RobFRules
11-28-2009, 01:41 AM
Huckster (a new local band) and Fogol's Chair is also on the list. Fogol is heavy - real heavy.

Papa Fogals Chair, huh? Great band, though what's your source on them being in the battle?

I know 18 of the 20 bands for the battle, click http://saultmetalscene.blogspot.com for full details and sources for how I found out. Monday, there's Blues Harvest, Dirty Virgin, Flat Stanley, Garden of Bedlam, Huckster, Nebraska Arms, Stiffler's Mom, Sykotyk Rampage, and two bands to be announced. Tuesday, there is The Billy Bästards, Bring The Fallen, Gsis Murphy, Inside Spiral, Lion Ride, Middle of Nowhere, Nixxon Dixxon (they're from Soo Michigan!), Sense of Truth, Stillbroke, and Wishbone.

Caveman Morrison and The Fury were announced by varying sources, though no days have been released, if they're even still on. MBM have dropped out, while Dustin Jones and The Rising Tide have conflicting tour dates, so I assume they're dropped too.

I'm not connected with the battle in any way, I've just been trying to update everyone as best I can in the absence of official information!

r_0_x_y
11-28-2009, 10:13 AM
GARDEN OF BEDLAM!
http://www.myspace.com/gardenofbedlam
They will be playing Monday night and will have my full support. Amazingly talented young men.

ByrdDawg
11-28-2009, 12:12 PM
You can find a lot of these bands by googling them on sites like Myspace and hear some samples of their music.

There were a couple of them that impressed me.

I tried to search for Stifler's Mom and all I could find was a Toronto band. Is that them or are there two bands with the same name ?

RobFRules
11-28-2009, 12:15 PM
I tried to search for Stifler's Mom and all I could find was a Toronto band. Is that them or are there two bands with the same name ?

Different bands, the Stiffler's Mom from here no longer have an internet page, to my knowledge. However, Sin Stereo (http://www.garageband.com/artist/sinstereo) are an old metal band that Greg, Michael, and Jon from Stiffler's Mom were in back in the day, closest thing I've been able to find!

ByrdDawg
11-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Different bands, the Stiffler's Mom from here no longer have an internet page, to my knowledge. However, Sin Stereo (http://www.garageband.com/artist/sinstereo) are an old metal band that Greg, Michael, and Jon from Stiffler's Mom were in back in the day, closest thing I've been able to find!

They also impress me.

RobFRules
11-28-2009, 01:34 PM
They also impress me.

Agreed, though I can't see em playing these songs on Monday. I can dream though!

This is too stacked to pick favourites for, myself. Of course, being a metal fan, I'd be more inclined to pick a metal band, but it's too packed with quality to even consider picking the most likely or impressive to win! I just wish The Canadian or Rock 101 would release official band info already, it'd be nice to know definite details.

\m/ Rich \m/
11-28-2009, 06:25 PM
i know at least one person from most of the bands in the battle, so its hard to throw my affiliation one way or another without hurting someone else's feelings.

i just hope things are drawn fairly (doubtful) - and that the best band wins. and to everyone competing: good luck, and make sure you bring your "A" game!

fenderbass
11-30-2009, 03:05 PM
For all that didn't know...Cavman Morrison has been added to tonights show at the Canadian..I have just been informed...Good luck to Tim and the boys.

RobFRules
11-30-2009, 06:48 PM
So were a band called "Tiny Trebuchet", they were on a lineup sheet that Alli J from Rock 101 sent me. No idea who they are, I guess we'll get our first glimpse tonight! So we have Blues Harvest, Caveman Morrison, Dirty Virgin, Flat Stanley, Garden of Bedlam, Huckster, Nebraska Arms, Stiffler's Mom, Sykotyk Rampage, and Tiny Trebuchet playing tonight, best of luck to all bands!

OU812
12-01-2009, 07:55 AM
wow sounds like i missed a good show! i can get out tonight. can't wait to see this. was there a big crowd?

Retsevets
12-01-2009, 08:09 AM
It was a really good crowd. Good response to the bands. I was actually thinking they should have showcases like this more often. I really enjoyed it. I will be there again tonight for sure.

OU812
12-01-2009, 08:41 AM
you said it . a lot of bands that play origonals have a difficult time getting steady gigs. it would be nice to be able to get out and see them more often.

X-Man
12-01-2009, 09:07 AM
you said it . a lot of bands that play origonals have a difficult time getting steady gigs. it would be nice to be able to get out and see them more often.

...X2

RobFRules
12-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Huge crowd, great show! I fully agree that we need more shows like this! The Soo has loads of talent, it needs to be showcased!

By the way, the bands advancing to Wednesday are Blues Harvest, Flat Stanley, Garden of Bedlam, Nebraska Arms, and Stiffler's Mom. Tonight, The Billy Bästards, Bring The Fallen, Gsis Murphy, Inside Spiral, Lion Ride, Middle of Nowhere, Nixxon Dixxon, Sense of Truth, Stillbroke, and Wishbone will take the stage! Hope you guys can make it out, I'll be there!