PDA

View Full Version : Another UBUNTU question

Bluesky
11-29-2009, 04:59 PM
OK, it's been awhile. I have Windows Vista and 7 Laptops in the house. I have a desktop running UBUNTU. It is hooked up to my printer and to my router. What software do I need to install to use this desktop as my print server, so I do not have to physically hook my laptops up every time I want to print something? I have installed Samba.. What else do I need to do? stilll can't see the printer on the network.
(No, my printer is not a network printer. I went cheap).

Upper Decker
11-30-2009, 08:31 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetwarePrintingFromUbuntu

That might help, or at least get you in the right direction.

Hans
11-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Since you have 7 laptops, I would recommend to purchase a printer with networking capabilities, or purchase a printer network interface.
This way you can print from any of those locations with the default software installed for that OS and without requiring your desktop to be powered up whenever you want to print.

Bluesky
11-30-2009, 12:30 PM
ha ha.. no I don't have 7 laptops. I have 2. One is vista, the other is windows 7.

Since you have 7 laptops, I would recommend to purchase a printer with networking capabilities, or purchase a printer network interface.
This way you can print from any of those locations with the default software installed for that OS and without requiring your desktop to be powered up whenever you want to print.

Bluesky
12-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Well, I am still stuck. I don't understand those howtos. Ubuntu has come a long way, but the help files are still written for Linux heads and not the average users who are not deep into the techical side of things.

Upper Decker
12-02-2009, 03:33 PM
copy and paste my friend and some basic editing skills to tailor to your situation. Surely if your using linux as a primary OS you must have enough knowledge to do that much no?

NewCasa
12-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Well, I am still stuck. I don't understand those howtos. Ubuntu has come a long way, but the help files are still written for Linux heads and not the average users who are not deep into the techical side of things.

Is there some particular reason you need to run Ubuntu? I mean, seems to me the simplest approach would be to reformat the machine to Win 7 or Vista.

Bluesky
12-02-2009, 06:47 PM
I don't have a license for Win7 or Vista. I might have an old Win2000 OS.. that OS was pretty stable from what I remember.

Hans
12-03-2009, 08:29 PM
I switched to WHS from Debian. While Debian is good and stable, there's no comparison to WHS and the plug and play setup of everything.

Bluesky
12-05-2009, 11:39 AM
I switched to WHS from Debian. While Debian is good and stable, there's no comparison to WHS and the plug and play setup of everything.

Where do I purchase a copy of that? WHen I do a search, all I find are servers with that OS on it.. OEM style..

Hans
12-05-2009, 04:21 PM
It's OEM only.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=35651

Now, since you seem to be into tinkering and testing, you should maybe consider a MS Technet Account.

Bluesky
12-07-2009, 08:26 PM
I had an extra XP licence at work, so I finally gave up on Ubuntu, installed XP, and now I can network to my heart's content.