PDA

View Full Version : mastitise

Giggle Squirt
12-07-2009, 11:50 PM
last week it was on the left side went to see the doc, now this week it is on the other side and he gave me some stronger antibiotics. Now becasue of the pain i was pumping and that caused my milk to go down a ton so he gave me pills to help keep my production up and keep everything going. Basically what can I do to get rid of the pain and is there any way to keep it from transfering from side to side? I would rather swallow glass right now.

Peety
12-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Giggle use a water bottle and every now use a warm facecloths..
sounds painful...

mags
12-08-2009, 05:14 AM
Giggle these should help, mastitis is painful. I hope that you are soon feeling much better.
Before nursing your baby put a warm wet cloth on the sore breast for 10-15 mins, 15 mins is better. Do this 3X a day. Express some milk from the sore breast first makes it easier for you and the baby. Start with the other breast then move to the sore breast is sometimes easier. The sore breast must be emptied. It is best if both are emptied.
A warm water bottle, warm cloths, massaging your breasts can help.

Giggle Squirt
12-08-2009, 11:06 PM
i have been doing the hot cloth thing for a few days now and it is not really helping. This all started last week and i went to the walk in thinking it might be thrush and just the fact that the baby was not eating like she was and the pain was horriable. The doc just told me that milk blisters were normal and to just keep feeding her. Well feeding he was extreamly painfull so i started pumping and had a follow up with my nurse the next day so i talked to her and she said gave me some pills to keep my milk up while i was pumping because i noticed it had dropped off a bit. Then the other day the pain was so bad and my boobs looked like they had a rash on them and even after they were emptied they still had hard lumps in them. I couldn't put on my seat belt or put my arms down by my side. I am on a strong antibiotic now thanks to my doctor and feeding her feels like i have razor blades comming out i am just about ready to give up. the pain is so bad that it makes me want to vomit.

Amaranth
12-09-2009, 12:06 AM
That sucks. :( I had it really bad when I nursed my first baby and I was just about to quit nursing her when I woke up the next morning and I was suddenly better.

When did you start the antibiotics? And the only time I had a rash while breastfeeding was from the disposable nursing pads so I dunno about that part... I had to switch to cloth ones but otherwise I did not have any bumps while nursing and I breastfed all four of my babies. I found that if I wore cloth nursing pads then I changed them more often and this stopped me from getting a rash.

Hopefully the antibiotics start working soon. I can still remember how painful it was for me and my oldest daughter is 19 now. I think she was about six weeks old when I had mastitis and when I woke up cured (it musta been a miracle lol) I wound up continuing to nurse her and I did until she was almost a year old.

Giggle Squirt
12-09-2009, 01:06 AM
I do use cloth and disposable nursing pads. I hope I wake up and it is cured.

Amaranth
12-09-2009, 01:12 AM
I hope so for your sake. I used something on my breasts... I can't remember the name but I will ask my sister what it was called. It was something natural that the doctor gave me and it helped with the pain. It is terrible to endure that razor blade kind of pain and I commend you for still trying to nurse your baby!

mags
12-09-2009, 09:33 AM
When did you start the antibiotics? I hope they start to work soon.
I remember the pain with mastitis it is nasty. You are to be commend for continuing to nurse your baby. I hope for your sake this over very soon.

Puppy Lover
12-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Have you tried cabbage leaves. When I worked in public health, we used to recommend cabbage leaves all the time for moms with mastitis. Here is a little information......

Raw cabbage leaves are a great mastitis treatment. They can be placed directly on the infected area of the breast, also to help draw out the heat and infection.

The cabbage leaves will become warm and wilted and should then be changed out. This cure is especially effective just after a duct is clogged and before the infection sets in.

If my breasts start to feel sore or I notice any redness I immediately slip a cabbage leaf in my bra, and change it out several times during the day.

This amazingly simple mastitis treatment unclogs the duct quickly and doesn’t allow the infection to set in.

mags
12-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Worth a try, I've heard of cabbage leaves being used for other infections.

Evil Monkey
12-10-2009, 06:30 PM
When I first read the title all I saw was mass titties so I came in for a read...LOL

Amaranth
12-10-2009, 08:57 PM
When I first read the title all I saw was mass titties so I came in for a read...LOL

I spit out my pop on my laptop. Thanks. lol

Evil Monkey
12-10-2009, 08:59 PM
I spit out my pop on my laptop. Thanks. lol

Glad I could help...LOL

Dragonfly
12-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Have you tried cabbage leaves. When I worked in public health, we used to recommend cabbage leaves all the time for moms with mastitis. Here is a little information......

Raw cabbage leaves are a great mastitis treatment. They can be placed directly on the infected area of the breast, also to help draw out the heat and infection.

The cabbage leaves will become warm and wilted and should then be changed out. This cure is especially effective just after a duct is clogged and before the infection sets in.

If my breasts start to feel sore or I notice any redness I immediately slip a cabbage leaf in my bra, and change it out several times during the day.

This amazingly simple mastitis treatment unclogs the duct quickly and doesn’t allow the infection to set in.

Not saying its wrong but the cabbage also helps to dry you up so I wouldnt use it too much, for both my babies that is what I was recommended to stop the production.

mags
12-11-2009, 12:36 AM
How are you doing Giggle?

Puppy Lover
12-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Not saying its wrong but the cabbage also helps to dry you up so I wouldnt use it too much, for both my babies that is what I was recommended to stop the production.

The cabbage leaves will NOT stop the production of milk. It will relieve the engorgement associated with stopping breastfeeding, but the only things that will stop the milk production is medication and/or stopping breastfeeding. Breast milk works on supply and demand. If there is no demand, there is no production, that simple. The cabbage leaves were likely recommended to you to help drain the breasts and relieve the engorgement. As long as she continues to breastfeed and/or pump her breasts in spite of the mastitis, she will continue to produce milk. The cabbage leaves will simply reduce the inflammation in the breasts and make breastfeeding more comfortable.