PDA

View Full Version : computer not responding to SD card

alecat10
12-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Hope someone can advise me. When I put my SD card in my computer drive, nothing happens! Usually, the pictures open up on my desktop. It just stopped working. I tried several different cards and it is still not working. Any suggesitons?

Hans
12-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Open windows explorer and see if you can see the card.

Upper Decker
12-08-2009, 10:31 PM
check and see if any gunk has built up on the electrical leads in the reader itself.Also one of the pins inside might have broken or not making proper contact. Does the reader have USB ports on it as well? If so test the USB ports as well to see if there is a problem with the card reader as a whole, or if its the slot in particular. May also be the usb connectors on the board that card reader is connected too.

alecat10
12-09-2009, 04:07 AM
My computer showed a message that said my USB port had malfunctioned, so I am assuming this is part of the problem. I am thinking I may have to bring it in somewhere. My skills are limited!

SSMP
12-10-2009, 10:06 AM
I am assuming you are using XP.
Left Click Start
Right click on My Computer
Left click on Properties
Left Click on the Hardware tab
Left Click on Device Manager
Scroll down until you see Universal Serial Bus Controllers
Find the one with the '?' beside it
right click on it
Read the message in the Device Status window
You might want to write this down for future reference.
Left Click on the troubleshoot Button
Follow the trouble shooting procedure.

Good Luck

italiandomino
12-11-2009, 06:32 PM
my SD reader on my computer wont read SD high capacity cards ... maybe that is what your issue is .. but will read non high capacity cards

alecat10
12-11-2009, 07:45 PM
thanks SSMP- I am running Vista. I did what you said and there was no ? mark beside any of them! I have been using the same SD card without a problem and the cards suddenly stopped working! hmm.... thanks everyone will keep trying....

Andre
12-11-2009, 10:11 PM
just for shiats and giggles try using the usb port on the back of your computer

SSMP
12-11-2009, 10:19 PM
I think that they are using an internal card reader, it may have just broken.
You can find cheap card readers almost anywhere, try buying one and plugging it into your usb. It sucks that the internal one doesn't work but hey these things happen. If electronics didn't break I wouldn't have a job.

alecat10
12-13-2009, 05:03 AM
Problem solved! Bought a card reader for $13.00! Works like a charm! Wow , that was easy! Thanks SSMP, and everyone for your help! This board is great! :)

SSMP
12-13-2009, 01:50 PM
You're welcome, glad I could be of some help.