PDA

View Full Version : ATI vs Nvidia

Oscar_Leroy
12-08-2009, 11:18 PM
I was thinking of getting a new video card. I currently have an Nvidia Geforce 9400GT 512MB, and want to move to a 1GB. I don't want the card for gaming or anything. The fan on my card died, and I am actually on my 3rd warranty replacement. Is this common with Nvidia, or did I just buy a terrible card?

Thoughts?

Upper Decker
12-08-2009, 11:46 PM
ATI vs Nvidia is like asking the coke vs pepsi question lol.
ATI currently is the most up to date with DX11 parts, while nvidia has been rebranding the same hardware for a couple of years now and still dont have any DX11 parts coming anyitme soon.(you can cry wait for fermi, but that istn going to be out anytime soon)so if you want yesterdays technology then by all means go with nvidia lol.

As for those G92 cores or those that are close relatives to it were pretty common for dying due to the extreme heat output and substandard cooling especially with the cheaper cards like the one you have.(8800 GT and newer 8800 GTS cores and later, but I think they fixed that problem with the GTX and GTS series video cards)

At the moment ATI has the best bang for the buck out there. If your not gaming and want the best card for warranty from ati would be this card

http://img.ncix.com/images/44933_l.jpg

XFX radeon 5750 - double lifetime warranty, this is a totally decent card and for 150 plus shipping and tax you cant go wrong and if gaming is in your future with the right board you can crossfire 2 of them and get some really good performance out of the 2.

Killswitch
12-08-2009, 11:49 PM
If the fan quit on the cooler and killed the card..... and if you're getting it replaced through warranty, you may just want to look for a good aftermarket cooler to put on it.

Upper Decker
12-08-2009, 11:52 PM
But doing that could void the warranty on the card. I personally wont buy any VGA card unless its EVGA,XFX,or BFG due to lifetime warranty and allowing the end user to modify the card for better cooling or performance.

Killswitch
12-09-2009, 12:25 AM
But doing that could void the warranty on the card.

That's true. But it's a far cheaper alternative to buying a new card when the one he has is doing the job for him. Besides, if he chooses the right cooler and has it installed properly the 9400 should last for as long as he'll ever need it without any more issues. If case cooling is sufficient maybe a good passive cooler will do the trick? No fans to worry about failing and no long-term dust build up in the video cards heatsink.

Killswitch
12-09-2009, 12:32 AM
I was thinking of getting a new video card. I currently have an Nvidia Geforce 9400GT 512MB, and want to move to a 1GB. I don't want the card for gaming or anything. The fan on my card died, and I am actually on my 3rd warranty replacement. Is this common with Nvidia, or did I just buy a terrible card?

Thoughts?

Oscar_Leroy..... I have a few questions for you.

First, does the 9400GT you have in your possession right now work? You said the fan died but you didn't say anything about the card itself. Also you mention that you're on the 3rd warranty replacement, so do you mean that you have the replacement now or are you waiting on it?

Second, why do you want to get a 1GB card? If you don't game or do anything graphic intensive involving photos etc, then in my opinion you don't need a card with 1GB of memory.

Upper Decker
12-09-2009, 12:37 AM
That's true. But it's a far cheaper alternative to buying a new card when the one he has is doing the job for him. Besides, if he chooses the right cooler and has it installed properly the 9400 should last for as long as he'll ever need it without any more issues. If case cooling is sufficient maybe a good passive cooler will do the trick? No fans to worry about failing and no long-term dust build up in the video cards heatsink.

I would kill to get a passive VGA setup , the noise of VGA coolers is brutal lol.

Killswitch
12-09-2009, 12:44 AM
I would kill to get a passive VGA setup , the noise of VGA coolers is brutal lol.

...... and THAT'S why I game with headphones! lol

Upper Decker
12-09-2009, 12:58 AM
The new referance coolers are brutal, you can hear the fans in the next room if you set it to manual and anything over 45% fan speed. As soon as I can get my hands on a set of waterblocks for this card they are getting that treatment.(thanks for getting me hooked KS by the way lol.)

Oscar_Leroy
12-09-2009, 01:22 AM
Oscar_Leroy..... I have a few questions for you.

First, does the 9400GT you have in your possession right now work? You said the fan died but you didn't say anything about the card itself. Also you mention that you're on the 3rd warranty replacement, so do you mean that you have the replacement now or are you waiting on it?

Second, why do you want to get a 1GB card? If you don't game or do anything graphic intensive involving photos etc, then in my opinion you don't need a card with 1GB of memory.

I am actually waiting on my 3rd replacement. The whole card was junk. I don't really game, but I bought my card for about $100 a little less than a year ago. I figure with cards at local stores costing around the $100 range it would only make sense to get a better card from NCIX for a bit more money.

XFX radeon 5750 - double lifetime warranty, this is a totally decent card and for 150 plus shipping and tax you cant go wrong and if gaming is in your future with the right board you can crossfire 2 of them and get some really good performance out of the 2.

This might be going on my christmas list now lol.

Upper Decker
12-09-2009, 01:27 AM
then id say that xfx 5750 or 5770 is your best bet and they are solidy built too. Ive got 2 x 5770s and damn these are fine performers for midrange cards.

filthy
12-09-2009, 02:28 AM
It's funny that your pumping ATI cards Fudd when you have one, a little biased no? As for Nvidias' old technology, how many games were Dx 10.1?? Barely any so it wasn't an advantage to have a Dx 10.1 ATI card....and as for Dx11, there is one game, released just over a week ago, Dirt 2.

He said he's not gaming, so then you think he should spend $150 plus on a new card? It is a sweet card but ATI 5xxx series are so hard to find, no stock as they have shortages on components and the few that are out there are getting gobbled up so I dont think he wants to order and pay for a card and wait 4-6 for stock.

Both Nvidia and ATI make good cards, they both make duds too...

I think you should get a used ATI or Nvidia. If buying new you have a ton of options at various prices.

I think the best option is KILLSWITCHES' to get a new cooler for your current card. It will take care of the problem for minimal cash.

If you can afford the 5750 or something, that'd be sweet and I bet you'll get back into gaming...lol.

Hans
12-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Just be ware of the connector and power requirements of cards like a 5750. You might pop your PSU or cause system instability.

mboy67
12-09-2009, 09:37 AM
well to me either makes good cards and there are many that can be had cheap for non gaming use. I own both makes so I'm no fan boy. My favorite for gaming is my ATI cards but if you count up the cards I own I own more Nvidia cards then ATI go figure. I will say this in all the years I have never had a ATI card die on me but Half of my Nvidia cards had to be RMAed.

Upper Decker
12-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Just be ware of the connector and power requirements of cards like a 5750. You might pop your PSU or cause system instability.
Have you seen how low the power is on these cards? Even a 5870 can be powered with a moderate 450w power supply. ATI really took the cake with the new gen cards and low power requirements.

filthy
12-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Yes ATI has done well with their power saving feature since the 3xxx series.

Nvidia has less power hungry cards then ATI though, always have.

Hans
12-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Well yes. But I was just pointing out to be prepared to have enough power available and to have the required plugs.
He might have a 350 Watt PSU, or a no name brand 550 Watt.

Oscar_Leroy
12-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Well yes. But I was just pointing out to be prepared to have enough power available and to have the required plugs.
He might have a 3050Watt PSU, or a no name brand 550 Watt.

It's just a small computer for school really. I have a 350w in it. I wouldn't mind upgrading that as well, but at the same time, I think I would be better off buying a new computer at that point. This one isnt worth too much, but gets the job done for now.

Upper Decker
12-09-2009, 07:04 PM
thats how it starts, my recent system started with a new monitor. And with a new monitor i needed a better video card to play at the monitors native rresolution(i find not playing @ native resolution to look like garbage especially on LCDs) and so forth.

Hans
12-09-2009, 07:30 PM
The 350 W will limit your video card options and upgrade options all together.
If you are willing to go second hand you could pick up something better for 150$.

Oscar_Leroy
01-21-2010, 01:01 PM
So I got a new power supply a 580w for pretty cheap. I did get a new card too. Kind of a funny story. I was waiting until I got my warranty replacement from Nvidia and when I did get my warranty replacement I noticed it was a 1GB 9500gt instead of my 512mb 9400gt. I like those kinds of surprises. I know its not the best card out there but still better than what I had.