PDA

View Full Version : Networking Printers

jgales
12-10-2009, 08:31 AM
I am having a problem seeing my printer or any shared folder on my network. My printer is plugged in to my laptop that is on the wireless connection. I am trying to print from my desktop that is plugged directly in to the router. Things use to print fine from it until I got a new laptop now I can't get my new laptop to show up on the network. My new laptop is running Vista 64 bit. My desktop is running XP pro. I can see my desktop on the network from my laptop but I can not see my laptop from my desktop. I also can view shared folders on my desktop from the laptop, but not the files in the folders. Any suggestions?

Bluesky
12-10-2009, 08:38 AM
It's a real pain when things don't work the way they are supposed to. I have a setuup exactly the opposite of yours. My printer is attached to my desktop. And I need to print from my laptop.. so I made sure that the printer was shared, as well as the C drive on my desktop and certain folders on my desktop were shared.. and voila, everything showed up..

However, MY laptop is running Win 7, my desktop is running XP.

Upper Decker
12-10-2009, 09:12 AM
common denomintaor with your problems - windows xp

Your expecting modern software to work seamlessly with almost a decade year old software