PDA

View Full Version : anyone have some knowledge of solar water heaters?

Saultitis
07-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Does anyone have, or know of someone who has a solar heater for an above ground pool? I've heard 2 differing opinions: that they extend the swimming season, and that they don't extend the swimming season but only provide warmer water during the summer. I'm hoping to be able to be as environmentally friendly as I can but not if it doesn't work to extend the season since our summers are so short anyway. I was hoping someone has some first hand knowledge of this.
And if you do find a solar heater works, could you tell me the brand and where it was purchased and how much it costed?

thanks

Saultitis
07-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Ok, I guess there's not a lot of this type of stuff in here. Anyway, for those of you who are interested, I've been told today that if you connect a simple black garden hose to the pool pump, it provides good heat to a pool! who knew?

403_forbidden
07-23-2007, 02:54 PM
I have a Fafco solar panel ( http://www.fafco.com/ ) installed on my garage roof that has a southwest sun exposure. It is a 4 x 20 foot panel and you can add more if needed. My neighbour has a pool without any kind of heater and my pool is usually 5 to 10 degrees warmer. It all depends on the amount of sun, wind, temperature etc. The size of your pool will dictate the amount of solar panel area you need. During heat waves, I need to bypass the solar panel otherwise I will end up with pool water in the mid to upper 90s (Fahrenheit)......Also, make sure you use your solar cover duing the night .....a lot of heat gained during the day can escape during the cooler temperatures at night.....I am not sure if it extends my swimming season....if the days are cooler than you really don't feel like swimming. (I was hardly in my pool in the first part of July when the days were cooler...the pool water was warmer than the air and ranged between 78 to 83 degrees fahrenheit..but the days were too cool for my tastes)...Although kids sometimes don't care what the temperature is........Let me know if you need anymore info….

Saultitis
07-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks so much for your input. I've ordered 2 solar heaters which will get sun all day. Hopefully this will help. I know what you mean when the air is too cool - it just doesn't encourage one to want to swim, however this will be, and yes I say 'will be' a new pool - the stinkin' thing isn't coming in until end of the week! Anyway, being new, I'm sure I'll brave some cold temps just because I can! lol I'll probably get 2 weeks of swimming before the leaves start falling in it!

403_forbidden
07-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Congratulations on the new pool....with 2 panels you should capture some good heat....I installed my above ground pool last year around this time; we sometimes get a heat wave in the first part of September, so you should get some good use out of it...hopefully, August has better weather than July.....