PDA

View Full Version : Possible pink eye in a 2 yr old?

Dragonfly
12-10-2009, 09:02 PM
My 2 yr old daughter has white goopy stuff in her one eye ( I know I need to get to the doctor but hes away till monday) it isnt yellow or anything like that yet, but its constantly there. My cat about a week ago got over what we believed was pink eye. Is it transferable from cats to humans?? If so, what can I do for her? She has it once when she was really little and it went away on its own with warm water etc.I know doctor is always the best bet but I was just wondering if its doctor worthy. Will they even give her anything?? I have a 1 yr old son too, and both my boyfriend and I are in school, so they go to daycare. I dont want them spreading it..but I also dont want to miss school during my finals... so I want it gone FAST.. Suggestions??

Dragonfly
12-10-2009, 10:03 PM
anyone!?

Peety
12-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Dr is your best bet.. http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/eye/conjunctivitis.html

Dragonfly
12-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks :) Any ideas what I can do in the mean time to help the poor lil one out?

Peety
12-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks :) Any ideas what I can do in the mean time to help the poor lil one out?

Call the pharmacy... they tell you the best thing to use... If it was my child. I would keep eyes clean and in the morning wake up before them and clean thier eyes..
can you go in the am?
Little kids will rub thier eyes if they hurt or are itchy.. maybe if you catch it before it get spread around.. keep hands washed..

Dragonfly
12-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Im not sure..to my knowledge he is closed on Fridays but I am going to call just to make sure, I could be very wrong. Im trying to do that but like you said she keeps rubbing them so shes making it much harder. Ugh...lol

Peety
12-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Im not sure..to my knowledge he is closed on Fridays but I am going to call just to make sure, I could be very wrong. Im trying to do that but like you said she keeps rubbing them so shes making it much harder. Ugh...lol

Call the drug store.. shoppers is open ..walk in clinic?

Dragonfly
12-10-2009, 10:33 PM
I did call them, they didnt tell me much at all. I used polysporin eye drops in my cats eyes for her pink eye and it cleared it up..I ask the pharma. about it for her and they hymned and hawed about it and told me to give her less but didnt tell me how much less, so I gave her one drop until morning. As for the walk-in it's not bad enough yet. Its just a little bit of white in the corner that keeps reappearing very shortly after its wiped and if I let it go it begins to drip a bit, Im not taking a 2 yr old down there to sit for hours and hours like we did last time for a 105 fever. If they wont get us in for a toddler with a 105 fever..they wont get me in for something I "think" might turn into pink eye. If it definately is something needing attention by tomorrow and I cant get her in then yes definately. But shes happily sleeping so I dont need to worry too much for a bit. She COULD have just got something in her eye...I just wanted to see if anyone knew of anything besides warm water rinses

Luv to be on the GO
12-10-2009, 11:27 PM
I think you were wise to use the Polysporin in her eye,
I would have just put the one drop also ,
It does Not say on the bottle that it`s ( just) for pets
Hope you see a big change in the morning .

Giggle Squirt
12-11-2009, 12:02 AM
when i used it on my son the doc said 1 drop 4 times a day

Dragonfly
12-11-2009, 07:26 AM
I think you were wise to use the Polysporin in her eye,
I would have just put the one drop also ,
It does Not say on the bottle that it`s ( just) for pets
Hope you see a big change in the morning .

LOL it wouldnt say "just" for pets because its for humans but it works for animals too. I would never us something made for an animal in my children's eyes haha. But anyways this morning wasnt too bad, looked like sleep in her eye. I think she might be ok...

HDV
12-11-2009, 11:46 AM
I know you don't want to go to the walk in clinic, but why not take her to the market mall clinic, from what i hear it is a very very short wait.
the pharmacy i deal with is medicine shop on koarh road and second line, they are awesome there. Anytime we have a issue with our daughter Jon the pharmacist helps us out and his advice has always worked. Call hiim and ask for Jon and he will tell you what to do and how ,much to use. Hes great at diagnosing stuff too. When my daughter was little little she had thrush we knew that, she also had a bad rash tat woudl not go away, drs, said just keep using rash cream. i talked to him about it, he said it was a yeast infection, gave me this tube if anti fungal cream, and it went away in 2 days. He knew more then the dr did..lol
i know this is not the topic but to those who have young kids who get rashes often he makes his own cream, it cost 20 bucks but it works amazingly.

but anywhoo if nothign works and you cant get into see anyone id say give them a shout and tell Jon and he ll suggest something and let you know what is wrong. I ll send you the number if you want it.

Dragonfly
12-11-2009, 03:38 PM
No, shes ok now. i havent seen anything today. Thanks anyways everyone!

blueeyedgirl
12-13-2009, 09:13 AM
My son and I had pink eye last year and I spoke to the pharmicist in the market mall. They told me to use the eye drops that they sell over the counter and told me what to look for that means we need to see a dr. I did everything they said to do and it was gone within 72hrs.

Dragonfly
12-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Well its back again. Definately not bad...and definately not pink eye..so I don't know

Giggle Squirt
12-14-2009, 12:52 AM
a form of strep can also look like pink eye.

mags
12-14-2009, 08:02 AM
You have tried other remedies might be time to call your Dr or go to a walk in clinic.

Dragonfly
12-14-2009, 08:22 AM
a form of strep can also look like pink eye.

Well again today not a thing in there....but really??!! I didnt know that...she has a tiny bit of a cough too. Nothing crazy just the odd one. She doesnt complain about a sore throat. But I am going to call her doc. today now that hes back and see what I can do. Theres nothing in her eye for him to even see but maybe he can see something I dont regardless.

Peety
12-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Well again today not a thing in there....but really??!! I didnt know that...she has a tiny bit of a cough too. Nothing crazy just the odd one. She doesnt complain about a sore throat. But I am going to call her doc. today now that hes back and see what I can do. Theres nothing in her eye for him to even see but maybe he can see something I dont regardless.

The dr can do a swab..

Juggs
12-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Bring her to a doctor! what kind of mother asks advice on soonet and trusts it over a doctor. We have walk-in clinics for a reason.....just think of the wasted time on here yoy spent could have gotten you a real answer at the dr's. It really pisses me off when a child is sick and the parents are to dumb to get them real help!!!! With all the crap thats going around now do you really think its a wise decision for you to make saying it might be pink eye? COME ON use your head!!!!!!!!!

Dragonfly
12-14-2009, 05:48 PM
We did go today. He said that its nothing and that its normal. The eye is just flushing itself out. It was gone all weekend dummy it just came back last night or I would have. Maybe someguy like you should know facts before you say things. I also talked to telehealth who also said to wait until monday unless it worsens, as also said the pharmacy.

Juggs
12-14-2009, 06:02 PM
someone like me is a more responsable parent and I would have brought my child to get checked out if I did not know what it was. I would not have asked others to diagnose my child who have no medical experiance!

Dragonfly
12-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Ok w/e Ill bow down and your kiss toes now too. I was right. It was nothing.

Juggs
12-14-2009, 07:39 PM
sorry to come across as strong or rude but with all the crap going around we should not take chances. A lady I knew went to the walk in with a sore throat and a few days later she was dead! It turned out she had the same bug as flesh eating disease but in her lungs and throat.

Dragonfly
12-14-2009, 09:11 PM
I understand that and agree with you to an extent. It wasnt bad enough. I wouldnt have even considered it pink eye but (I know it sounds dumb) my cat had it. If had worsened or even persisted I would have brought her in over the weekend. But it didnt, it went away, but I DID make an appointment just to make sure and was told that it is fine.