PDA

View Full Version : Rip off

Iverson3k
12-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Anyone see someone trying to sell Super Mario Bros Wii for 250$??? That is just disgusting... I pray no one buys it so the d-bag has to keep it...

Upper Decker
12-19-2009, 04:53 PM
does it come with a free prostitute?

Strife
12-19-2009, 06:13 PM
does it come with a free prostitute?

haha I seen that when I posted my Wii. I actually thought of calling the number and setting up a fake meeting.

Evil Monkey
12-19-2009, 09:21 PM
haha I seen that when I posted my Wii. I actually thought of calling the number and setting up a fake meeting.

You obviously have nothing better to do than harass people by the looks of things.

Hardwoodhippie
12-19-2009, 09:28 PM
I payed alot less than that at a game store here in town. To freakin funny I cant beleave someone would try and get that much just for a game,are you sure it does not include the Wii console?

Strife
12-19-2009, 10:36 PM
I payed alot less than that at a game store here in town. To freakin funny I cant beleave someone would try and get that much just for a game,are you sure it does not include the Wii console?

This is a cut and paste of the article:

I have one copy of "New Super Mario Bros." for the Wii. This game is sold out everywhere (and very rare)! This is on the top of any Wii owners list this xmas.

$250.00 - OBO (Brand New Sealed)

call B.J. 254-6380

Strife
12-19-2009, 10:37 PM
You obviously have nothing better to do than harass people by the looks of things.

And by the looks of things, some people just like to make money off of others by selling rare items.

Evil Monkey
12-19-2009, 10:46 PM
And by the looks of things, some people just like to make money off of others by selling rare items.

Why is it any of your business? If you spent as much time as you do worrying about what others do in their life at looking for a job you would actually have one.

Strife
12-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Why is it any of your business? If you spent as much time as you do worrying about what others do in their life at looking for a job you would actually have one.

It is my business because it is illegal in some cases and it is my duty as a citizen to report such activity to the police.

Evil Monkey
12-19-2009, 11:06 PM
It is my business because it is illegal in some cases and it is my duty as a citizen to report such activity to the police.

Well for your information I refunded all the money that I sold the 4 Kiss tickets to the 2 people that bought them.
I am sure I also seen in a past thread that you have a modded gaming system which for your information is also illegal. Also for your information it is illegal to collect assistance and spending your days on the internet instead of out looking for a job which you are capable of performing.

Strife
12-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Well for your information I refunded all the money that I sold the 4 Kiss tickets to the 2 people that bought them.
I am sure I also seen in a past thread that you have a modded gaming system which for your information is also illegal. Also for your information it is illegal to collect assistance and spending your days on the internet instead of out looking for a job which you are capable of performing.

Show me the law where it says that selling a modded system is illegal. I also spend my time looking for jobs but there are only so many places that you can hand out resumes before you have to sit back and wait for someone to call or to call back. Job searching doesnt yield overnight results. I also invite you to report me to the OW office if you strongly believe that I am not looking for jobs. Chances are you wont

Evil Monkey
12-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Show me the law where it says that selling a modded system is illegal. I also spend my time looking for jobs but there are only so many places that you can hand out resumes before you have to sit back and wait for someone to call or to call back. Job searching doesnt yield overnight results. I also invite you to report me to the OW office if you strongly believe that I am not looking for jobs. Chances are you wont

A modded system is stealing games that you did not pay for. You are modifying a system so that you can use and play games that you have no legal right to use and you did not pay for so you are stealing. It is theft/fraud and against the law.
Fraud
Deceitful or deceptive conduct designed to manipulate another person to give something of value.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090804/1537125771.shtml

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/08/game-console-jailbreaking-arrest/

http://news.cnet.com/Canada-shutters-mod-chip-operation/2100-1040_3-945540.html

As for OW maybe I will make that call Monday morning.

Strife
12-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Modding systems to use pirated games is illegal but using modded systems to use backed up games that you own is not illegal. When selling such a unit, the purchaser has the choice of using it to play illegal games or not. As long as I am not advertising the unit to play illegal games, I can sell it any way I want at any price I want. As for OW, go right ahead.

Evil Monkey
12-19-2009, 11:20 PM
modding systems to use pirated games is illegal but using modded systems to use backed up games that you own is not illegal. When selling such a unit, the purchaser has the choice of using it to play illegal games or not. As long as i am not advertising the unit to play illegal games, i can sell it any way i want at any price i want. As for ow, go right ahead.

It is FRAUD

The system was modified to play backup games which are copyrighted and you have no right to copy them in the first place!

Strife
12-19-2009, 11:25 PM
It is FRAUD

The system was modified to play backup games which are copyrighted and you have no right to copy them in the first place!

Canadian law states that you can make digital back ups of any media that you own. If it was illegal, than how could I obtain a mod chip by an otherwise well known online retailer, and get it shipped to Canada?

Evil Monkey
12-19-2009, 11:27 PM
You need special software in order to "break into" your legal copy of that game to back it up. That game is also copy written by the manufacturer. You only have the legal right to use that one copy you purchased. You have no right to hack into that game and make a back up copy as it is illegal to hack the copy written games. Spin it however you want it is fraud and illegal.

Juggs
12-19-2009, 11:28 PM
because the chip itself is not illegal its what you do with it. give up 13 this isn't a fight you will win IMO

Evil Monkey
12-19-2009, 11:31 PM
In Canada, Modchips are legal to purchase and own as a mod chip. Installing it into your system then hacking the games or making copies of something which is not your intellectual property or copy written is against the law.

Strife
12-19-2009, 11:35 PM
because the chip itself is not illegal its what you do with it. give up 13 this isn't a fight you will win IMO

If the chip itself isnt illegal, also knowing what the purpose of that chip is, wouldnt the sale of said console be considered legal. If mod chips are used to play pirated games, than why arent they illegal? The reason is because the owner cannot guess what the purchaser is going to do with said chip or console. I cannot predict that the person that is going to buy my Wii is going to use it for illegal purposes.

Take guns for instance. You take a guy who wants to buy a gun. We all know guns have the potential to kill people. Knowing that, why is the sale of guns to private citizens not illegal? Its because the shop owner cant be sure whether the gun will be used to kill someone, or kill a deer legally.

Evil Monkey
12-19-2009, 11:42 PM
If the chip itself isnt illegal, also knowing what the purpose of that chip is, wouldnt the sale of said console be considered legal. If mod chips are used to play pirated games, than why arent they illegal? The reason is because the owner cannot guess what the purchaser is going to do with said chip or console. I cannot predict that the person that is going to buy my Wii is going to use it for illegal purposes.

Take guns for instance. You take a guy who wants to buy a gun. We all know guns have the potential to kill people. Knowing that, why is the sale of guns to private citizens not illegal? Its because the shop owner cant be sure whether the gun will be used to kill someone, or kill a deer legally.

If you are selling it is as modded then you are breaking the law cause you in fact know what that chip in the console is used for there by breaking the law. You installed a chip knowing full well that it is used for illegal activities for fraudulent reasons. You as the seller are in contravention of the law and are fully aware of the fraudulent activities the purchaser can commit as you installed the mod chip knowing it is capable of performing illegal activities by stealing copy written property.
Gun sales are regulated by the government. Not just anyone can go out and by a gun and the shop keeper is not responsible for what happens when that gun leaves. The government through licensing has allowed the shop owner to sell that gun only to those that posses said license. The government is now responsible as they issued the license for permission to buy the firearm. Two separate things and it is like comparing apples to oranges.
A citizen buys a gun legally with a license and you are selling a game system that you illegally modified to obtain copy written material fraudulently.

Also good to see that I am that much of an influence on you that you have the same avatar as I do. I feel so special now.

Strife
12-19-2009, 11:44 PM
If you are selling it is as modded then you are breaking the law cause you in fact know what that chip in the console is used for there by breaking the law. You installed a chip knowing full well that it is used for illegal activities for fraudulent reasons. You as the seller are in contravention of the law and are fully aware of the fraudulent activities the purchaser can commit as you installed the mod chip knowing it is capable of performing illegal activaties by stealing copy written property.
Gun sales are regulated by the government. Not just anyone can go out and by a gun and the shop keeper is not responsible for what happens when that gun leaves. The government through licensing has allowed the shop owner to sell that gun only to those that posses said license. The government is now responsible as they issued the license for permission to buy the firearm. Two separate things and it is like comparing apples to oranges.
A citizen buys a gun legally with a license and you are selling a game system that you illegally modified to obtain copy written material fraudulently.

Also good to see that I am that much of an influence on you that you have the same avatar as I do. I feel so special now.

Read that bolded statement. You just proved my point. Thanks!

Juggs
12-19-2009, 11:45 PM
mod chips are like fta receivers they are not illegal to sell but using them to steal free satilite is. When you sell a moded wii you are selling a product which was not ment to do what that mod chip allows it to do. So you are selling someone somthing that you have manipulated to do somthing illegal. Now when an fta is sold its purpose is to pick up free to air channels, the company is not loading programs on them to pick up lets say dish network programming. As for the gun thing you mentioned a gun is advertised and sold to do what it was made to do. It is not advertised as a weapon to kill people with.

Evil Monkey
12-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Read that bolded statement. You just proved my point. Thanks!

Your point is not proven as you obviously have comprehension problems. THE GOVERNMENT ISSUED A LICENSE TO THE PERSON WHO PURCHASES THE GUN FROM THE SHOP OWNER! The only reason the shop keeper is not responsible is cause the government told him who he can and who he can not sell those guns to.

Evil Monkey
12-19-2009, 11:48 PM
The government did not give you permission to steal copy written material or equipment cable of doing so and then told you who you could and could not sell it to. Face it, you are committing fraud and are not man enough to own up to it.

Strife
12-19-2009, 11:48 PM
mod chips are like fta receivers they are not illegal to sell but using them to steal free satilite is. When you sell a moded wii you are selling a product which was not ment to do what that mod chip allows it to do. So you are selling someone somthing that you have manipulated to do somthing illegal. Now when an fta is sold its purpose is to pick up free to air channels, the company is not loading programs on them to pick up lets say dish network programming. As for the gun thing you mentioned a gun is advertised and sold to do what it was made to do. It is not advertised as a weapon to kill people with.

Exactly! I am selling a product that was modified to play legal back ups. We all know that a mod chipped Wii can play illegal backups but I cant say for sure that the purchaser of my system will use it for good or for bad. The mod chip makers market the chip as having the ability to play legal back ups. By EM's logic, that advertising would also be illegal.

Evil Monkey
12-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Exactly! I am selling a product that was modified to play legal back ups. We all know that a mod chipped Wii can play illegal backups but I cant say for sure that the purchaser of my system will use it for good or for bad. The mod chip makers market the chip as having the ability to play legal back ups. By EM's logic, that advertising would also be illegal.

The back ups are not legal cause you had to hack into a copy written product in order to copy it which is illegal! Even if you don't have to crack into the game you are still breaking copy rights by copying it.

Juggs
12-19-2009, 11:50 PM

how can a game be a legal back up when they are copyrighted?

Strife
12-19-2009, 11:51 PM
The back ups are not legal cause you had to hack into a copy written product in order to copy it which is illegal!

Okay so the programs that I can find to copy DVD's that I purchased at Walmart are also illegal? After all they bypass DVD security so that it can be copied.

Evil Monkey
12-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Copyright is the exclusive right to make copies of a literary, electronic, musical, or artistic work. Unless you have written permission from the manufacturer of the intellectual property it is copyright infringement.
You obviously don't get it so I am done arguing with you.

Strife
12-19-2009, 11:53 PM
how can a game be a legal back up when they are copyrighted?

The whole purpose of a copyright is to protect the rights of the owner of the digital medium from others making money off of them. If I was making copy of games and selling them, than I would be committing fraud. However making legal back ups of games and DVD's to play for your own purposes, is not illegal because you are not making money off the intellectual property of others.

filthy
12-20-2009, 02:38 AM
holy crap, I don't think you should be discussing personal matters (someones' job status ect) on this site, that's just low..

Although selling a game at such a huge markup is wrong, unfortunately some people will pay any price for something on their kids' xmas wish list.

Sadly half the people in the Soo try to sell used items for full, or near full retail price like its a good deal lol.

V Code
12-20-2009, 08:30 AM
mod chips are like fta receivers they are not illegal to sell but using them to steal free satellite is. When you sell a moded wii you are selling a product which was not meant to do what that mod chip allows it to do. So you are selling someone somthing that you have manipulated to do something illegal. Now when an fta is sold its purpose is to pick up free to air channels, the company is not loading programs on them to pick up lets say dish network programming. As for the gun thing you mentioned a gun is advertised and sold to do what it was made to do. It is not advertised as a weapon to kill people with.

its a little more than that too. a fta is fine to buy and sell. but you better not sell on that already has the software in it to steal satellite. just flash it to normal and your OK. so it would be similar for a modded console, take the chip out, sell it with the chip and then your fine, the new owner would have to make the choice to combine and break the law.

and the whole gun thing. don't sell the gun loaded.. same difference a gun does not kill people, bullets do. would anyone sell a loaded gun? or would you sell the two items together and let the new owner make the choice?

Juggs
12-20-2009, 11:30 AM
its a little more than that too. a fta is fine to buy and sell. but you better not sell on that already has the software in it to steal satellite. just flash it to normal and your OK. so it would be similar for a modded console, take the chip out, sell it with the chip and then your fine, the new owner would have to make the choice to combine and break the law.

and the whole gun thing. don't sell the gun loaded.. same difference a gun does not kill people, bullets do. would anyone sell a loaded gun? or would you sell the two items together and let the new owner make the choice?

thank you that is the point I was trying to make. You explained it better.

Iverson3k
12-21-2009, 01:25 AM
Thanks for jacking the thread guys... :D

Ultra54
12-21-2009, 09:50 AM
I don't think there is anyone stupid enough to pay for that price for the game anyway, is there? If there is then they deserve to be ripped off. If there is someone who would than it would be money better spent than on their meth addiction.

Strife
12-21-2009, 10:04 AM
I don't think there is anyone stupid enough to pay for that price for the game anyway, is there? If there is then they deserve to be ripped off. If there is someone who would than it would be money better spent than on their meth addiction.

Why assume that if someone is stupid enough to pay $250 for a game would they be addicted to meth?

Ultra54
12-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Why not? There are parallels in that you would have to be stupid enough to partake in buying a $250 15 year old video as you would be in playing with meth. Not to mention your mind would have to be cooked as bad as a meth head to justify paying that price for any game.

Strife
12-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Why not? There are parallels in that you would have to be stupid enough to partake in buying a $250 15 year old video as you would be in playing with meth. Not to mention your mind would have to be cooked as bad as a meth head to justify paying that price for any game.

Paying $250 for a 15 year old video game? Unless you have been living under a rock, the game just came out. To assume someone who would pay such a ridiculous price for a game is on meth is asinine. Maybe their kid really wants the game for Christmas, which is what the seller is really banking on.

Hans
12-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Someone will buy it. It's sold out at both sides of the border.
This is no different than those who sold PS3 units at ridiculous high prices when they were very hard to get.

Upper Decker
12-21-2009, 06:56 PM
If you think thats bad, you dont want to know what extremes some will go through to get a 58xx and 59xx series video card due to shortages. Needless to say I was made a ridiculous offer on my old one I couldnt refuse.

V Code
12-21-2009, 07:00 PM
and to add. the game is fricken awesome..... no i did not pay the $250. my loving GF called around everyday for a week to be able to get it for me for my b-day!!!!!

Strife
12-21-2009, 08:32 PM
I have played it a few times and I love it!

Ultra54
12-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Ya, I know the game just came out and I wasn't born under a rock, and I know if Nintendo makes it, it will be good. So they have reinvented the wheel by allowing coop on a game that is 15 years old and I say bravo, I'm sure it's fun. Point is, if anyone is stupid enough to pay for it you have no business saying anything about it.I'm also sorry you feel the need to grapple onto my meth comparison like I was serious or something but it does remind me that you really need to calm down.

Xzavia
12-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Someone will buy it. It's sold out at both sides of the border.
This is no different than those who sold PS3 units at ridiculous high prices when they were very hard to get.

Our Walmart had two of this game in the store about 2 hours ago when we were in there. My son pointed it out as I had told him about them being hard to get and here they had 2 of them.

12-26-2009, 10:16 AM

It is FRAUD

In Canada, Modchips are legal to purchase and own as a mod chip. Installing it into your system then hacking the games or making copies of something which is not your intellectual property or copy written is against the law.

Copyright is the exclusive right to make copies of a literary, electronic, musical, or artistic work. Unless you have written permission from the manufacturer of the intellectual property it is copyright infringement.
You obviously don't get it so I am done arguing with you.

You should take your advise, leave it to his own business.

Strife
12-28-2009, 09:14 PM
You should take your advise, leave it to his own business.

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: