PDA

View Full Version : What are your Favorite things to bake at christmas?

Ocean
12-20-2009, 05:49 PM
I actually have a couple of days free to bake this year, and I am looking for some ideas. So what are your favorites? It seems like its been forever since I baked,lol...So all your ideas are welcome. I am thinking of maybe cookies or squares etc., maybe one or two kinds.
I am going to dust off my cook books but would love input from tested recipes, thanks.

BrAt
12-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Mmmm... Almond Crescents!

Ocean
12-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Do you have the recipe Brat?

IMHO
12-20-2009, 11:54 PM
this is not baking but a side dish we like. Take equal amounts of turnip and fresh carrots...cook them and mash them together. Add some butter and brown sugar OR maple syrup and you have a dish they all love....and its simple.

Carolyn
12-21-2009, 07:35 AM
I found a new one on the kraft Canada website for Buckeye bars.....those are delicious...if you like chocolate and peanut butter those are definately a hit.

BrAt
12-21-2009, 09:02 AM
1/2 lb unsalted butter
2/3 sifted confectioners sugar (plus more for rolling)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 c finely chopped almonds
2 1/3 c sifted all purpous flour

Heat oven to 350 and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Cream together butter and 2/3 cup sugar until fluffy. Beat in extracts, then add almonds. Stir in flour and beat until well mixed.

Divide dough in half and roll each half into a log 1 inch in diameter. Cut each log into 3/4-inch pieces, and roll each piece into a cylinder 2 inches long. Place cylinders 1 to 2 inches apart on baking sheets, and form into crescents.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly golden. Let crescents cool, then roll in additional sugar.

This makes about 5 dozen cookies. :) YUM!!

HDV
12-21-2009, 10:32 AM
My wifes shortbread cookies are to die for, best I have ever had.
Her peaches are awesome, she makes peaches and pears. Gennettis (sp) and a heck of alot more for xmas, the house smells so good right now, shes been baking for a week.

goodasgold
12-21-2009, 10:40 AM
So far this month I have made: chocolate snowball cookies, white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies, tiger bars, banana brownies, and on Wednesday or Thursday I will be making fudge. I can't make it to far ahead if I want any left over for Christmas.

kitca
12-21-2009, 11:37 AM
christmas is not christmas without whipped shortbread cookies and meat pie.

HDV
12-21-2009, 11:46 AM
I love meat pie. Anyone know anyone who makes them and sells them? I want homemade not store made..and wife will not make them. :(

Ocean
12-21-2009, 11:58 AM
MMM... these all sound wonderful! I am going to try some of these, thanks to all you, Merry Christmas.

LadyLove
12-22-2009, 12:25 PM
I love meat pie. Anyone know anyone who makes them and sells them? I want homemade not store made..and wife will not make them. :(

I make a few meat pies during the Christmas season. If you would like I can make you one for Christmas. I would only charge what it would cost to make it. Pm me if interested.

Babzz
12-22-2009, 01:24 PM
this is not baking but a side dish we like. Take equal amounts of turnip and fresh carrots...cook them and mash them together. Add some butter and brown sugar OR maple syrup and you have a dish they all love....and its simple.

my mom made this every year.. yummy and old fashion :)

Babzz
12-22-2009, 01:25 PM
I made meat pies for gifts this year.. They were a hit

Carolyn
12-23-2009, 11:27 AM
christmas is not christmas without whipped shortbread cookies and meat pie.

Do you mind if I ask how you make whipped shortbread cookies?

kitca
12-23-2009, 05:14 PM
ladylove, what a nice thing to offer!

carolyn, they are so easy. there are so many different recipes out there too.

3 sticks butter (2/3 cup) softened and beaten. blend together these dry ingred.
1 c cornstarch
1 c icing sugar
2 c flour
we also add almond flavouring and 1/2 ground almonds

beat all together. drop by spoonful onto greased cookie sheet. bake 15-20 min at 300.

we like these ones because they just melt in your mouth, the texture is so fine.

Carolyn
12-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Mmmmm....definately going to have to try making these tomorrow....