PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Newbie

snobank
12-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Hi,
I'm reasonably computer literate. I have three computers networked in my house, all desktops and linked by cables to a router and all running XP. I'm giving my wife a laptop running Windows7, home pro edition for Christmas so she can sit in the living room and use google to prove me wrong.
Anyway, I've also bought a wireless router. I intend to just plug the cables in to the new router from my old computers as they're not going anywhere, but, I'm a complete newbie as to wireless and Windows 7. How do I link up my wife's computer to the network? How do I make it secure so that unauthorized users can't access it?

Any advice on how to do it, or, a link to some place that explains it step by step would be greatly appreciated.

H.E. Pennypacker
12-22-2009, 11:57 AM
what is the brand / model of the router?

Upper Decker
12-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Set your router up for WPA or WPA2 security(channel and everything left to auto unless you need to change them otherwise), wait for win 7 to detect your network hit connect and enter your password. Windows 7 has made wireless networking ridiculously simple now.

Im assuming since you have said you are reasonably computer literate accessing your router shouldnt be an issue to follow the instructions I laid out.

snobank
12-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Thank you Pennypacker and Fudd Rucker. The router is a Linksys Wireless-N Home Router Model WRT120N. Is following Fudd Rucker's instructions sufficient to keep out unauthorized users?

Upper Decker
12-22-2009, 05:15 PM
sure is, WPA and WPA2 security is bloody good.

snobank
12-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks guys, I'll be setting it up Christmas Day or Boxing Day. If I run in to any trouble I'll come here.
Merry Christmas!

kodak57
12-22-2009, 11:30 PM
i have the same router and i have 3 computers and a playstation,very simple just remember the security keys, i change mine to something easily remembered.

02-14-2010, 05:13 PM
so she can sit in the living room and use google to prove me wrong.
:slol: