PDA

View Full Version : Solid-State Hard Drive Performance

scsint
12-22-2009, 01:00 PM
I've been interested in solid state hard drives for a while now so I took the plunge and got my hands on a Patriot Warp 64GB 2.5" drive (http://ssd-reviews.com/ssd/v.php?id=15).

My intent was to use it in an external USB case so if it was dropped, no big deal - there would be no head crash, no damaged platters ... After ordering one I realized this would be a waste of the drives performance abilities so I put it in my laptop instead and used the laptop drive in the portable case.

The USB 2.0 external case averages around 25MB/s transfer rate so it's definitely a bottle-neck.

The original Seagate drive, 250G SATA achieved transfer rates (read) of about 50MB/s continually. I think the RPM speed is the culprit in this case. The solid state drive, Patriot Warp 64G, in the same laptop with the same OS etc achieves rates (read) of about 135MB/s-140MB/s.

The write rates are a bit less but close to the read rates for the particular drive I tried out.

Haha - now to get my hands on an Intel X25-E ;-)

Anyone else have experience with these solid-state drives they'd like to share?

Upper Decker
12-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Make sure you get an SSD with the TRIM function and windows 7 .Otherwise your drive will be crippled later on.

scsint
12-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Ya, that TRIM feature seems to be a new hot deal. I'm running XP Pro SP3. My laptop came with Vista - as soon as I could get XP drivers for the hardware in my laptop, Vista was 'relieved of duty' LOL!

Hans
12-22-2009, 02:49 PM
I think solid state versus regular hd depends on your average computer habits.

I don't care to much about faster windows loading times, since I only have to start windows up once a day.

As for overall speeding up windows, I prefer to invest in more memory.

That's my take on it.

scsint
12-22-2009, 03:38 PM
All good points Hans. I wanted to try it in an external case more than anything. Mostly to survive the occasional drop. My curiosity got the best of me and I had to try it in my laptop. It's been there since lol. I notice multi-tasking is much quicker. Applications including Windows load much quicker too. Life could still go on as it was, but I enjoy having this drive just the same.

If I had to replace it with a regular 2.5" drive, I would likely go with Hitachi since I have used their 7200RPM models in the past with no major problems.

Upper Decker
12-22-2009, 05:52 PM
I would get more memory myself if your planning on sticking it out with win xp. Win 7 has been optimized to run SSD drives a lot better then most OS out there (with the exception of snow leopard).

filthy
12-23-2009, 02:55 AM
Ya I have to agree using those pricy SSD's is overkill for an external drive, unless the data on it was life altering.