PDA

View Full Version : Shaw HD/PVR Thingy question

Xzavia
12-27-2009, 09:34 PM
We have one of those Shaw boxes for the HD/PVR whatever...been working great for months now. Last week the cable channels started cutting out periodically, then they'd come back on, then it just stopped, now when the cable is hooked into the box we get no signal. Take the cable and hook it right to the tv and we get cable channels, limited ones at that.

Anyone have this issue before? I'm going to call Shaw tomorrow when I have the time and patience to sit on the phone for an unlimited amount of time if I can't retify this issue on my own.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
12-28-2009, 12:37 AM
If you call their support they will go through a few things with you to check out if they can get it working. Otherwise will have to schedule a visit and may have to replace the HD box.... Sometimes it is as simple as resetting it. (Unplugging it and waiting a minute or 2 and plugging it back in...

Xzavia
12-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks! I did try unplugging it for a few minutes and resetting the box but no such luck.

I called and now have a visit scheduled for tomorrow so they can check it out. I was hoping it'd be something simple that I could fix, save someone having to come out over the holidays.

BrAt
12-28-2009, 02:26 PM
If you're having problems getting channels even when the cable is connected directly to your television it's more than likely a signal issue... not one with the HDPVR.

mboy67
12-28-2009, 02:49 PM
I had a issue like that a few months back and it turned out that the splitter they installed 10 years back was no good. After the new splitter was installed all was good and the channels were clearer then before.

Xzavia
12-28-2009, 09:21 PM
If you're having problems getting channels even when the cable is connected directly to your television it's more than likely a signal issue... not one with the HDPVR.

We can get channels with the cable hooked right to the tv, just not as many as we would through the box. Not snowy or anything, nice and clear. Just
when we hook it to the PVR it says "No signal".

The guy on the phone said it sounded like a splitter issue, so here's hoping it's something simple.

HDV
01-10-2010, 11:39 AM
I had the same issue. I also had a issue where I would go to fast forward through commercials of shows i recorded and when i go to stop it brought me back to the beginning. I called them and they said that this was a known issue with these boxes and they were working on it. But he told me that the channels cutting in and out and skipping should not be happening. Someone came by Friday and replaced my box with a brand new one ( the one i had before was a refurbished one) and it works great. No problems at all.

HDV
01-10-2010, 11:42 AM
before I had mine replaced of i unplugged the box and let it reset it would fix the problem with the programs skipping and freezing. But would not fix the issue with the fast forwarding. But I have not had that problem since I had it replaced. Sucks I lost all my shows and movies I recorded and my daughters sesame streets..:( but that sow is on everyday so she will have her collection back soon

Juggs
01-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Shaw sucks big time I have been having problems with internet since July and they can't seem to fix the problem, The other night my phone did not work for approx 10hrs, they were suppose to come to my house yesterday between 2 and 4pm the guy showed up here at 12:30 I wasen't home and he told my daughter he could not come in as she was not 18yrs old. They said they would call me and never did. As much as I hate bell I will probably switch back!

Xzavia
01-11-2010, 06:48 AM
The guy came by and checked a few things out and in the end he ended up going and getting us a new cable box too. Changed them and now everything works great. We bought our box brand new only about a year ago.

luvthetwins...when I talked to them originally they said they had me scheduled for an afternoon visit which could be anywhere between 12-4pm, all depended on how the technician made out with his other calls he had to do too. Too bad you weren't home, at least you would've been lucky being one of the first visits in the pm.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
01-11-2010, 08:15 AM
The guy came by and checked a few things out and in the end he ended up going and getting us a new cable box too. Changed them and now everything works great. We bought our box brand new only about a year ago.

luvthetwins...when I talked to them originally they said they had me scheduled for an afternoon visit which could be anywhere between 12-4pm, all depended on how the technician made out with his other calls he had to do too. Too bad you weren't home, at least you would've been lucky being one of the first visits in the pm.

You made us wait for a week to find out how you it turned out for you!!

NewCasa
01-11-2010, 09:05 AM
You made us wait for a week to find out how you it turned out for you!!

No kidding. I was on the edge of my seat.

Xzavia
01-11-2010, 12:13 PM
So dreadfully sorry, I should have known better than to leave you guys hanging! Please accept my profound appologies on the matter and I shall willingly (maybe) accept any punishment you see fit to penalize me for not posting back here pronto instead of getting carried away with life. Shame on me!:omg:

:tongue: (snickers)

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
01-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Banned!!

Xzavia
01-14-2010, 02:34 PM
:tongue: In your dreams!!! :shade: