PDA

View Full Version : How does going to school here...

tasma
12-30-2009, 03:03 AM
for a year make you a former saultite?! he took a couple of semesters in native awareness He wasn't born here he only lived here for a short time. I don't understand. Why isn't he a Ottawatarian? He lived in Ottawa for a stint!

Quote "A graduate of Sault College's native addictions counsellor program is being held in connection with this morning's stabbing death of an Ottawa police officer.

National media reports indicate that Kevin Gregson, an RCMP officer on medical leave, is expected to be charged with murder.

Gregson also worked as a hospital orderly, Ottawa media are reporting.

In April, 2007, Gregson, then a 40-year-old RCMP officer, received a conditional discharge after he pleaded guilty in Saskatchewan to uttering a death threat against a Mormon bishop.

Evidence in that case indicated that Gregson approached the church official off-duty, pulling a knife when told he was not yet qualified to receive credentials to enter a Mormon temple as a non-member.

Gregson said afterward that he felt "messed up" in his head, and cysts were eventually found in his brain, for which he underwent surgery.

The Ottawa Citizen has identified the officer who died today as Constable Eric Czapnik, who had served three years with the Ottawa Police Service.

"Czapnik was sitting in his police cruiser outside the emergency department of the Ottawa Hospital's Civic Campus at about 4:30 a.m. when he was attacked and stabbed," the newspaper says.

For more on this breaking story, please go to your preferred online or broadcast source for national news."

Anyway, condolences to the family of the fallen officer!

Anapeg
12-30-2009, 06:28 AM
He apparently lived here for ten years, which would be roughly one quarter of his existence on our planet. Enough for at least honourable mention I would think. 'sides, they are trying to blame his behaviour on cysts on his brain. Where better to get them than Sault Ste. Marie, where you can blame it on the coke oven gas.

Super Gram
12-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Oh, balderdash:wink:

NewCasa
12-30-2009, 09:06 AM
If we don't claim this dude we can't claim Roberta Bondar ;)

bluekrissyspikes
12-30-2009, 09:27 AM
ten years is a long time. i've lived here for four years and i consider myself a saulbie now.

MaO3
12-30-2009, 09:42 AM
ten years is a long time. i've lived here for four years and i consider myself a saulbie now.

That line just proved you've not lived here long enough - LOL :)

Saultite not saulbie.....

Sorry you just hit on one of my pet peeves. LOL :)

No offense intended! I just think that expression is strange.

everywoman
12-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks to sootoday :(

NewCasa
12-30-2009, 10:04 AM
That line just proved you've not lived here long enough - LOL :)

Saultite not saulbie.....

Sorry you just hit on one of my pet peeves. LOL :)

No offense intended! I just think that expression is strange.

I remember being in a cab in Toronto once and when I told the driver where I was from he said in a very oriental way "Ahhhh!! A Sooner!"

At least they don't call us 'Maries'. I don't think I could deal with that. Well, other than violently.

dancingqueen
12-30-2009, 10:09 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sault_Ste._Marie,_Ontario

Residents of the city are called Saultites
now we just need to make saultites an actual word by making an article in wikipedia for it :omg:

Chester Field
12-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Better than being called a "Saulter"

IMHO
12-30-2009, 11:49 AM
To me a "person from the Soo" is one born here...not one showing up for a Soo College program. He is NOT from the Soo...he was born elsewhere. Let them take the credit? for this lunatic.

Anapeg
12-30-2009, 11:52 AM
To me a "person from the Soo" is one born here...not one showing up for a Soo College program. He is NOT from the Soo...he was born elsewhere. Let them take the credit? for this lunatic.

Tread gently, Grass hopper. You are dangerously close to advocating the Natives argument with that blanket statement.

Who's on first? ( Who was here first )

Giggle Squirt
12-30-2009, 11:53 AM
LOL @ anapeg.

Amaranth
12-30-2009, 11:58 AM

THAT attitude is what burns me about this city. I was not born here but have been here for 12 years and have one child who was born here. I went to college here as well. But because I wasn't born here, I am not "from" here, making me an outsider and "less than" everyone else. Pu-lease. Where I actually DO come from, we would never treat people like trash for being from another part of the country.

IMHO
12-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Many people would say they live in the Soo but are originally from...lets say...Blind River. What is so wrong about that? Be proud of where you were born.

bluekrissyspikes
12-30-2009, 12:08 PM
THAT attitude is what burns me about this city. I was not born here but have been here for 12 years and have one child who was born here. I went to college here as well. But because I wasn't born here, I am not "from" here, making me an outsider and "less than" everyone else. Pu-lease. Where I actually DO come from, we would never treat people like trash for being from another part of the country.

no kidding. but guess what? i'm from here now so who cares what other people think. saultites sounds like some kind of nasty infestation to me. two of my kids are born here and i'm not planning on leaving anytime soon. sure, people here tend to be snotty and there are a lot who see me and my irish/scottish heritage in some negative way but not everyone can be(or wants to be) italian right? lol. so if those that want to think that way and act better than everyone else want to be like that, let them. i keep to myself anyways and don't really want to bother with them.

Amaranth
12-30-2009, 12:12 PM
no kidding. but guess what? i'm from here now so who cares what other people think. saultites sounds like some kind of nasty infestation to me. two of my kids are born here and i'm not planning on leaving anytime soon. sure, people here tend to be snotty and there are a lot who see me and my irish/scottish heritage in some negative way but not everyone can be(or wants to be) italian right? lol. so if those that want to think that way and act better than everyone else want to be like that, let them. i keep to myself anyways and don't really want to bother with them.

Yeah, I actually have been made fun of for being Irish since moving here. People actually tried to make me feel ashamed! But I had my reasons for moving here and I am here now.

I AM proud of where I was born. I just shouldn't be called names or treated like trash because I am from Victoria. I am not a leper just because I talk differently and I am not from an Italian background.

GRUMPY
12-30-2009, 12:13 PM
I have to laugh whenever a chum used to state that the Soo is a very warm and friendly town, I'd just ask him where else has he lived besides the Soo and he would always answer nowhere else. The Soo can and is very cold to new comers who move here that don't already have friends or family here.

bluekrissyspikes
12-30-2009, 12:17 PM
I have to laugh whenever a chum used to state that the Soo is a very warm and friendly town, I'd just ask him where else has he lived besides the Soo and he would always answer nowhere else. The Soo can and is very cold to new comers who move here that don't already have friends or family here.

yes it is. the funny thing is i used to come here all the time when i was a kid. i had two uncles and 4 cousins here, and my grandmother. they all moved to sudbury though because they got tired of being here.

Upper Decker
12-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I actually have been made fun of for being Irish since moving here.

Who said you were allowed to stop peeling potatoes and spitting out babies to use the computer?

:slaugh:

bluekrissyspikes
12-30-2009, 12:48 PM
don't start or she's making haggis for dinner(ok, scottish not irish. close though)

b&aMom
12-30-2009, 03:29 PM
I sure would like to know who the two of you are spending time with that are making fun of Scot or Irish heritage. And I believe you both mentioned "not being Italian". Well, guess what. There's a whole lot more people in this city than just Italian. LOL Besides, it was the Italians that were made fun of for years and years. Get out and see the city. ; )

Macs II
12-30-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm proud that I'm not from the SOO :slaugh:

NewCasa
12-30-2009, 03:44 PM

So are we ;)

Peety
12-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Who said you were allowed to stop peeling potatoes and spitting out babies to use the computer?

:slaugh:

LOL.. Spit out a baby for me..

Peety
12-30-2009, 03:47 PM

Me either..

Anapeg
12-30-2009, 03:53 PM
so are we ;)

amen!

tippikitty
12-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Who cares!

Really people, is this all you have to talk about?

dancingqueen
12-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Who cares!

well, it is a Wednesday night...

Anapeg
12-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Who cares!

This is the Sault, after all. It's this or the weather. and the weather SUCKS!!!

bluekrissyspikes
12-30-2009, 05:56 PM
I sure would like to know who the two of you are spending time with that are making fun of Scot or Irish heritage. And I believe you both mentioned "not being Italian". Well, guess what. There's a whole lot more people in this city than just Italian. LOL Besides, it was the Italians that were made fun of for years and years. Get out and see the city. ; )

just random people. i don't have a set place that i've designated as my hangout. i just go with the flow.

12-30-2009, 05:57 PM
I was born here, I'm a Saultite. The whole native thing doesn't hold water in this case. My family came here many moons after the Natives sold the land. I was born in Canada, Ontario, Sault. It makes me from all three :)

Macs II
12-30-2009, 06:13 PM
I was born here, I'm a Saultite. The whole native thing doesn't hold water in this case. My family came here many moons after the Natives sold the land. I was born in Canada, Ontario, Sault. It makes me from all three :)

but I've been in the Sault longer than you have been alive .....so I win :)

tippikitty
12-30-2009, 06:33 PM
well, it is a Wednesday night...

Oh yeah silly me I should have known that.

12-30-2009, 07:14 PM
but I've been in the Sault longer than you have been alive .....so I win :)

You haven't been in the Sault 45 years.

Macs II
12-30-2009, 07:19 PM
You haven't been in the Sault 45 years.

and you're not 45 :smile:

12-30-2009, 07:43 PM
No, i'm 44. In order for you to be in the Sault longer than I've been alive, you need to be here 45+ years.

Macs II
12-30-2009, 07:53 PM
No, i'm 44. In order for you to be in the Sault longer than I've been alive, you need to be here 45+ years.

you're not 44 :teeth:

12-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Yes I am. Why don't you think so?

Peety
12-30-2009, 08:18 PM
and you're not 45 :smile:

You are way older than that.:omg:

Macs II
12-30-2009, 08:26 PM
You are way older than that.:omg:

who you calling old? :msntounge_smile:

Macs II