PDA

View Full Version : spagetti (sp?) squash

bluekrissyspikes
01-01-2010, 01:11 PM
any one know how to cook and serve this so it tastes good? my hubby bought one and i don't know what to do with it?

HDV
01-01-2010, 01:43 PM
you bake the squash in the oven for about 45 minutes or so and when it is done you take a fork and scrape it out long ways and it comes out like spaghetti. We did it a couple times and served it with sauce. it fool the kids. My friends son did not know the difference..:) very healthy for you as well.

Oh when you bake it cut it in half longways brush a little oil on it and let it bake on a baking sheet.

i dont know if you can scrape it out if it is not cooked, i never tried that. I always baked it in the oven first till it was soft.

HDV
01-01-2010, 01:44 PM
if you dont mean cooking it like spaghetti then maybe serve it like any other squash.

bluekrissyspikes
01-02-2010, 01:10 PM
i didn't mean anything in particular. we aren't big squash eaters but have been making an effort to add more variety to our diet and replace the junky foods(pizza, fried things, all my faves basically) with more healthier options. the only squash i know what to do with is a pumpkin...mmmm...pie. (: not quite healthy though. i will try baking it and serving it like pasta. thanks.

A*lil*Loopy
01-02-2010, 04:32 PM
OK, squash is a favourite part of our meals at home so I'll tell you how to do it so you and the kids will love it.

First, cut it in half lengthwise (you'll be cutting right through the stalk to the end)
Use a big sharp knife and don't be surprised if you need a folded towel or oven mitt for extra pushing cushion. A good squash can be a bugger to get through.

Scrape out the seeds with a tablespoon, clean out all the seeds and the "mushy gook". This is where you make sure that there aren't any brown spots inside, if there are, you may want to replace the squash.

Now that they are clean, you can do it the traditional cut side down method or this one:
place cut side up in oven safe dish like pyrex or a casserole dish. Glop a spoonful of butter or margarine in each side and sprinkle a little salt and pepper and a teaspoon of brown sugar.
Add a couple cups of water to the pan so that they will steam because you are going to cover them with tin foil and bake them at about 325 for about an hour.
Carefully remove from oven........remember the water!! and don't dump it on your feet, lol.

Scrape out the squash using a fork and a large spoon into a bowl, yes, it shreds somewhat like spaghetti. You don't want to eat the skin. NOTE** if it isn't soft, put it back in the oven for a while. You can serve it as is or you can add a bit more brown sugar. It is very watery but tastes great! And the kids don't have to know it's healthy.

You can do just about any squash this way. Try them all, but I prefer them fresh in the fall when they are ripe (sounds hollow when thumped) and I get them from the farmers market.

Good Luck!

bluekrissyspikes
01-02-2010, 08:36 PM
brown sugar....mmmm. now that sounds good. i think i will try that out with half, and try serving the other have with pasta sauce and see which one goes over best. thanks. (:

Wodahs
01-03-2010, 01:12 PM
I also poke holes in the top edges with a fork so the butter can seep down into it and the squash can steam. Along with the butter and brown sugar, you can sprinkle some cinnamon on it too. We also make a couple packages of stove top and once you've cleaned out the seeds and gook, put the prepared stuffing inside and put both parts of the squash back together, you can tie them with string or just use a long wooden skewer to hold them together, bake it the same way, in a pan with a bit of water and covered tight to help it cook faster.

bluekrissyspikes
01-05-2010, 05:48 PM
we did it up with brown sugar tonight. VERY YUMMY! i would like to try with cinnamon but we didn't have any. thanks.

bluekrissyspikes
01-06-2010, 10:36 PM
we tried it tonight with sauce. it was also really good. i used half a can of sphagetti sauce, added a small amount of ground beef, half an onion, a green pepper, a small can of mushrooms and a couple cloves of garlic. i baked the squash first and cooked the meat in a frying pan, then added the onions and everything else to soften them. stirred it all together then baked it with a mix of marble cheese and parmasian on top. it was even better than if i had used pasta, and i don't need to feel bad for eating a bit more than i should have. (:
thanks for the ideas everyone. i bought a butternut squash today so i'll be trying that out in a few days. both of those cooking ideas will definately be added to our regular menu now.

lynys
01-07-2010, 12:21 AM
I make it in a homemade alfredo sauce. Very tasty!

HDV
01-07-2010, 10:18 AM
the spaghetti squash is good, and a great replacement for pasta. Its neat how it looks just like spaghetti. My daughter loves it as well which is good because i want to teach her healthy eating and not junk and crap thats not good for her.
She is already a picky eater and not much int junk she hates cakes, sweets and stuff , shes all about veggies and fruit weird fro a kid her age I think..lol But great for me :)