PDA

View Full Version : Video Cards

NewCasa
01-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Ok so after getting the Radeon 4870 installed, thanks to Fudd Rucker I realize now that it is extremely loud. Also, I would like a couple of features that this one doesn't have. So, two questions.

First, what would the Radeon 4870 be worth used?

Second, to replace it, I would like the following features:

- Quiet / silent running
- TV / HDMI input, output and tuner capability
- A remote control for the tuner - preferably one that works with a Logitec Harmony One

I am willing to compromise on the following:

- If absolutely required, I could replace the cooling on the card, but would rather stay stock
- I don't need really high end gaming potential. I play Diablo II a little, maybe some Call of Duty, Battlefield - stuff like that, but nothing really crazy high end and if it's THAT high end I don't need it.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

Hans
01-05-2010, 11:50 AM
The fan should only speed up when you use the 3D part.
I got the exact same card and you can't hear the fan unless I play 3d games, and even then it's decently quiet.

It has HDMI output.

For control you can run XBMC, which supports many type of remotes.

NewCasa
01-05-2010, 11:53 AM
The fan should only speed up when you use the 3D part.
I got the exact same card and you can't hear the fan unless I play 3d games, and even then it's decently quiet.

It has HDMI output.

For control you can run XBMC, which supports many type of remotes.

You have the Gigabyte version of the card? Just cranking up it sounded like a jet taking off and it never got much quieter. I've also read in the forums that it's extremely loud so I know it's not just me. I recall one particular post that complained it was loud even when the guy was working in MS Word.

The card has tuner capability? I checked documentation and the website and couldn't figure that one out.

Upper Decker
01-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Your card has the newer egg cooler no? (Hans)The one he has uses that stupid refererance blower type cooler that sounds like a jet engine taking off when the fan goes up past 40%.

Hate to say it, but any cards you get now are going to be just as loud lol. An artic silencer on that 4870 would sure quiet the card down considerably. If you think thats bad listen to my 5870 when i turn the fan up to 30%
And yes taht card is high end enough to pump out every game I own @ 1680 x 1050 and maintain a fantastic framerate.

That being said, a radeon 5770 V2 <<<----- cannot stress the importance of the V2 model as its whisper quiet and still just as fast as your current card with 1/10th the noise.
The 4870 has AVIVO which isnt quite a tuner, but more of a relay to input video to display on the monitor.