PDA

View Full Version : I have an idea!!!

Giggle Squirt
01-05-2010, 05:04 PM
This dosn't happen often but I would like if we could have a wedding/event planning forum. I have a million questions about weddings and party planning and I don't want to litter the sandbox with my questions. I think it would also be nice to have a spot for all this information to altogether. Not just for weddings but also for planning birthday parties were members can exchange ideas and give an opinion. Any one else here with me?

Evil Monkey
01-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me!

Misschix
01-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Here's an idea.....DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Peety
01-05-2010, 05:07 PM
I think that is a great idea..

Chester Field
01-05-2010, 05:08 PM
I think that is a great idea..
Chixy's or Giggles?

Peety
01-05-2010, 05:10 PM
chixy's or giggles?

lol>.both

tasma
01-05-2010, 05:15 PM
My daughter is getting married this summer too and I, I mean we!, have a million more questions.
One question, my daughter originally wanted to get married outside at our camp but the logistics and room isn't really allowing it.
My dad is catholic and told her that she needs to be married first in a "house of god" prior to being married outside. My daughter isn't catholic neither is her fiance. If you get married outside, by a minister do you have to get married in a church prior too or does it matter? She is getting married at a United church now which probably won't be much better for my dad but you can't do much about that.

Giggle Squirt
01-05-2010, 05:32 PM
you can't be married "roman catholic" unless your married in a physical church. That is my understanding from when i was talking to my church about getting married to see if he would marry us outside. We are also getting married in a united church. The whole being in a church for it to be offical didn't make sense to me because a church in my understanding is a formally organized body of Christian believers worshiping together. And tat can take place anywhere. Heck I can have a church in my living room.

bouffant
01-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Seriously now, if you want a perfect wedding seek professional wedding party people, help from others is nice and all that but they aren't the ones getting married, and just because you successfully pulled off organising your own wedding doesn't make you a pro at it. I've been to tons of weddings where they thought it was all that but in reality it was a farce, oh the shame of squandered power.

A seperate section for weddings & parties? Sure, why not? There is one for everything else minus the stalkers.

Giggle Squirt
01-05-2010, 05:50 PM
I never said i wanted a perfect wedding. I want it to be fun not all stuff and stuff. And professional wedding planners are stiff.

bluekrissyspikes
01-05-2010, 05:51 PM
my best advice is to go small. only invite your closest people. don't bother wasting money on all the extras. just get a nice cake, make sure everyone looks nice and plan something fun but simple for afterwards. way too many people put too much money into getting married. if i could, i would have just done it myself without inviting anyone at all.

No Drama Please
01-05-2010, 06:01 PM
You do not have to be married in a church for it to be legal. Many people have legal weddings in locations other than a church. You can opt for a civil ceremony or a clergy member can officiate. There are are some who are ordained to perform marriage ceremonies that are spiritually based, but non denominational.

A forum for weddings is an excellent idea!

Upper Decker
01-05-2010, 06:26 PM
see that kind of forum would take the same direction as the others. every thread would start with a question for opening post, followed by 10 idiotic "google it" answers.

everywoman
01-05-2010, 07:10 PM
My daughter is getting married this summer too and I, I mean we!, have a million more questions.
One question, my daughter originally wanted to get married outside at our camp but the logistics and room isn't really allowing it.
My dad is catholic and told her that she needs to be married first in a "house of god" prior to being married outside. My daughter isn't catholic neither is her fiance. If you get married outside, by a minister do you have to get married in a church prior too or does it matter? She is getting married at a United church now which probably won't be much better for my dad but you can't do much about that.

Ugh...this situation makes the hairs on my neck stand up! It's not your Dad's wedding!! Why should it matter one iota where your daughter and her fiance get married? I didn't elope, but I can understand why some do. Too many people with too many opinions! Either way, I hope she has a happy wedding day!

No Drama Please
01-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Ugh...this situation makes the hairs on my neck stand up! It's not your Dad's wedding!! Why should it matter one iota where your daughter and her fiance get married? I didn't elope, but I can understand why some do. Too many people with too many opinions! Either way, I hope she has a happy wedding day!

I agree everywoman. The couple who are getting married deserve to do it their own way. It is their special day to share with others, not the other way around. As a future mother of the groom, I will give an opinion if asked, help if asked, but it is not for me to get involved in anything other than a support role.

NewCasa
01-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Awww...I just can't help it. Sorry...but I want to see you guys do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-94JhLEiN0

And this...I want to see RMK do this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT6InvLJUzA&feature=related

Luv to be on the GO
01-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Hi Giggle ...I have a wonderful site for you to go to....
the knot.com.....Check it out ...
Hope you enjoy it as much as my daughter did !!

No Drama Please
01-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Awww...I just can't help it. Sorry...but I want to see you guys do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-94JhLEiN0

And this...I want to see RMK do this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT6InvLJUzA&feature=related

Now they have something to live up to!

GoldDogs
01-05-2010, 09:04 PM
I think there should be a forum as well.

It is really hard to get the truth from businesses themselves - I mean obviously so and so catering is going to say their food is AMAZING and THE BEST and that they have THE BEST PRICES. Yea... okay.

It is hard to find your post when it gets drowned out by other posts in the soapbox and people who aren't interested probaby get annoyed by all the questions.

This thread wouldn't JUST be for brides-to-be either. Sisters, friends, brothers, grooms, husbands, fathers and mothers and everyone involved all have information they need.

It could be a place that people could give reviews on Wedding-related businesses in the Sault Ste Marie area, the pros and cons of them. Photos from their wedding. Their unique wedding ideas they don't mind sharing.

For those who've had weddings 30 years ago to those who got married last month... everyone can share different ideas. It is always nice to get information and ideas from people who don't work in the industry.

Giggle Squirt
01-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Sorry nocassa but rmk is going to be doing something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXBDfHaryJE

No Drama Please
01-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Oh my. I am sure his mother will be proud.

NewCasa
01-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Sorry nocassa but rmk is going to be doing something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXBDfHaryJE

I just want to know if that photo you're using as an avatar is going to be re-enacted as part of the festivities....

lynys
01-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Here's an idea.....DON'T DO IT!!!!!

haha!

lynys
01-05-2010, 11:36 PM

I eloped! Best decision ever!

everywoman
01-05-2010, 11:45 PM
And you still had a beautiful day without all the added b.s!

lynys
01-06-2010, 12:49 AM
I sure did. A beautiful day, a beautiful setting, and my sexy groom. Back to Jamaica in ten months! :)

everywoman
01-06-2010, 01:17 AM
Anniversary trip?

tasma
01-06-2010, 03:23 AM
Quote "Ugh...this situation makes the hairs on my neck stand up! It's not your Dad's wedding!! Why should it matter one iota where your daughter and her fiance get married? I didn't elope, but I can understand why some do. Too many people with too many opinions! Either way, I hope she has a happy wedding day!"

It does matter to her Everywoman because my dad is dying from Hep "C" and she wants him to "walk" her down the "aisle". She doesn't get along well with her own dad and my husband has been in her life for 13yrs but my dad has been there for 21yrs. My dad didn't get the chance to walk my sister or myself down the aisle becasue we got married in the court house and in Niagara Falls. But I will be explaining to him on Friday that they are now getting married in the United church and to make sure he is still going to be a part of it because if he isn't then she will wait to get married another couple of years!

lynys
01-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Anniversary trip?

Absolutely.

everywoman
01-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Tasma...I wasn't saying it shouldn't matter to her....I was saying it shouldn't matter to him! It's not his wedding day. Your daughter sounds very sweet tho, to want to try and accomodate him and obviously, I can see why.

Giggle Squirt
01-06-2010, 12:06 PM
I will leave it up to his best man to keep him on a leash LOL. I am sure she will be good like that!

Giggle Squirt
01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
I firmly believe that if people put as much time into their marriage as the did the actual wedding then relationships would be much happier. Don't get me wrong I want a special day, but I don't need the whole 10 yards. I will be very happy with 5. And I also don't need to go into debt for a wedding. If we can't get it with cash then we don't get it. Mind you a lot of the wedding stuff has been bought and paid for already. We are designing our own invitations and programs and table seating name tags and i think they look better then the ones i looked at in the books and they cost a fraction of what they would of cost. Mind you it is more leg work on my end but I don't mind.

lynys
01-06-2010, 02:38 PM
I firmly believe that if people put as much time into their marriage as the did the actual wedding then relationships would be much happier. Don't get me wrong I want a special day, but I don't need the whole 10 yards. I will be very happy with 5. And I also don't need to go into debt for a wedding. If we can't get it with cash then we don't get it. Mind you a lot of the wedding stuff has been bought and paid for already. We are designing our own invitations and programs and table seating name tags and i think they look better then the ones i looked at in the books and they cost a fraction of what they would of cost. Mind you it is more leg work on my end but I don't mind.

My wedding/vacation cost about $6500, and it was paid in full before we left. Not a penny was left owing on it. I could never understand why people would spend in the ten's of thousand's, and not have the cash to pay for it all.

Had it been me, an we did the whole to-do in town, I would have cut every conceivable corner there was.

tasma
01-06-2010, 04:33 PM
we are trying to accomodate him, but its getting harder and harder. Now he told my husband that if my ex, my daughters bio dad is there he won't come at all. Obviously she has to invite him, and I don't have a problem with that but my dad does. I will be haveing a talk with him on Friday to see if I can make headway if not then there is no sense in going ahead with the plans. Thanks though

Giggle Squirt
01-06-2010, 04:39 PM
I would tell him to friggan bad it is my day not yours if you don't want to come because so and so is coming and you don't like were i want to get married then no problem. I don't need any negativity at all. I don't care if it is mother/father/sister/grandparent.

Barry Morris
01-06-2010, 04:53 PM
we are trying to accomodate him, but its getting harder and harder. Now he told my husband that if my ex, my daughters bio dad is there he won't come at all. Obviously she has to invite him, and I don't have a problem with that but my dad does. I will be haveing a talk with him on Friday to see if I can make headway if not then there is no sense in going ahead with the plans. Thanks though

Tell him you'll miss him, and he WILL regret not being there. And walk.

Giggle Squirt
01-06-2010, 04:59 PM
I would not put my wedding on hold because some one did not like were i was getting married or who was comming. Even if they were close to me. It would be difficult but i wouldn't put anything on hold.

Giggle Squirt
01-06-2010, 08:05 PM
so who do i have to bug to get this a forum and does anyone know if spice cake will hold up in a wedding cake?

GoldDogs
01-07-2010, 01:44 PM
If they can have a gardening and fishing forum they can have a wedding forum.

tasma
01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
bump up

Giggle Squirt
01-10-2010, 07:50 PM
anyone know of any fun ways to get the bride and groom to kiss? Banging of the glasses is not allowed and i was thinking of having a hula hoop up by the head table and if the guests want to make us kiss then they will have to hula hoop and if they don't want to hula hoop they can give a dollar to make us kiss. anyone else have any fun ideas? I am also planning on having a disposable camera on each table with like a scavanger hunt. get the guests to take pictures of differnt things.