PDA

View Full Version : Study habits?

Dragonfly
01-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Basically, I am tired of studying...but I am not going to be able to stop anytime soon. I more or less just read and read and read my notes to the point my eyes cross then I do it again. I find this method works to keep the information in my mind for a short time. Does anyone have any past or present study habits that has worked for them to keep it in the long term? I would really like to not forget information once a test is over, but I find I lose quite a bit of it. I think for me it is that I have just lost interest because the way I do is it monotinous (SP?) and reading 50+ pages multiplied by 6 courses, over and over again seems like a waste to me because how much of it am I really paying attention to? I also have a hard time pulling out what is really inportant because I over-analyze everything and I am afraid to miss importnant things and I over-study. I have heard of putting the words into rhyme or song but I dont find I can do that either? I do word associate from time to time, anything else?

Sweet Little Sister
01-12-2010, 10:01 PM
teaching it to someone else will help you retain it.
educate your spouse and kids. :)
or teach yourself in the mirror..

Dragonfly
01-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Well I try and talk to my boyfriend but he pretends to listen lol my kids are young but I never thought of the mirror! Thats a good idea! Thanks!

Sweet Little Sister
01-12-2010, 10:06 PM
make notes and have the bf quiz you

Dragonfly
01-12-2010, 10:08 PM
yeah we do that too, but I insist on knowing 98% of it before I get him to. I'm self conscious about my smarts :) lol

Amaranth
01-12-2010, 10:14 PM
I would read my notes and the chapters to my kids, my cats or even just out loud in my room to myself. Also, I re-write notes because writing things over and over again tends to help me remember it better.

I crammed a lot too. Last year I sat in my friend's car cramming literally 20 minutes before finals and we both aced our exams hah. I hadn't studied a thing until the last minute at all! Thankfully some of my classes didn't have exams and were based soley on writing papers because I do suck at reading boring text books.

bluekrissyspikes
01-12-2010, 10:24 PM
i found most of the important material was covered in class. it really helped that i could convince myself that everything the teacher said was fascinating. that way your brain automatically stores the information in your long term memory and you won't lose it the next day. sitting up front helps with this. it also makes the teacher like you which is always a bonus. as for reading over notes, ect. if you can learn to 'speed read' you'll be much better off. i hated having to remember the names of people from a hundred years ago and all the dates of their particular accomplishments.

Dragonfly
01-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Well last semester when I was in pre-health (am now in CYW) it was a lot of covering little things in class and reading most of it on your own, so I don't know how it works with this course. I can speed read but I find reading the same thing over again drives me nuts. Cramming doesnt work for me because I am waaaay to hard on myself for that. I only got a 3.31 GPA last semester and damned near had a nervous breakdown. I think that is half my problem.

Tansy
01-13-2010, 12:46 AM
In high school we actually used a portion of a semester learning how to study. If you think about it, nobody teaches you how to study; it's just assumed you'll know how.
Taking notes: Most people write everything they can down frantically. This causes confusion later when studying them, as you were paying more attention to your frantic emotional state and writing down what was said moreso than the information being taught.
There are three reasons to take notes in class:
- Brand new information (jotting down a few things pertaining to the subject will jot your memory of it and what was said later)
- The subject bores you (your brain doesn't want to pay attention so write a few things down to help remember what was said for later)
- The teacher says "Write this down/Take notes on this" (this usually indicates something you will for sure be asked about later in a test)
Other than these three things, do not take notes. Just listen and absorb what is being said. Notes are to jot your memory, they are not meant to *be* your memory.
If your on a subject that escapes you completely then try mnemonic devices! Silly rhymes, stupid songs, draw a bizzare picture of it, associate the information with something you find fun. You'll remember it years later much to your chagrin. ;)
I still have dumb songs stuck in my head about chemistry...

ArcticBlue
01-13-2010, 01:04 AM
I often found that, because I have a visual memory, re-writing and colour coding everything helped me to retain it when I would read it over. On the same note, I found that putting written material into picture format was of assistance. This definitely won't work though if you don't have a visual memory.

I can still remember some of the pictures I created in my grade 13 biology class that helped me to study. This is quite amazing too, since I can barely remember yesterday! :wink:

Dragonfly
01-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Those are all really good ideas! Thanks!

Tansy
01-13-2010, 01:47 PM
I often found that, because I have a visual memory, re-writing and colour coding everything helped me to retain it when I would read it over. On the same note, I found that putting written material into picture format was of assistance. This definitely won't work though if you don't have a visual memory.

I can still remember some of the pictures I created in my grade 13 biology class that helped me to study. This is quite amazing too, since I can barely remember yesterday! :wink:

Good point. There are different types of 'learners'.
Visual: Draw pictures, graphs, pictorial representations to learn.
Audial: Close your eyes and listen when the teacher is speaking/lecturing, get your hands on audio tapes of the subject, read things aloud to yourself.
Kinesthetic: Learning by doing. Make playdough models of the subject, find ways to apply subject in everyday life. (This one is me. One way I remember is to simply write the thing down. I can easily remember the info later because I've gone through the process of putting it into my own words.)

Tutones
01-13-2010, 08:11 PM
When I was in University, I recorded all my classes and did not take notes in class unless it was a particular diagram or something that I couldn't get from the text. - just listened. Later, I would go over the recordings and make notes on the important information and also just listen to the lecture over on headphones while working out or traveling on the bus etc... I am a very auditory learner so this worked very well for me.

I also made sure that I read the assigned textbook material BEFORE the lecture rather than after.

theShadow
01-13-2010, 08:22 PM
I learn through osmosis, often just by having the textbook on my chest as I slept on the couch.

The secret was just going to my exams tired and hung over so I was in the same state of mind that I was when we covered the material.

Shawn
01-13-2010, 09:07 PM
One thing I used to do was only study the parts I could not remember, or was not sure I knew. I remember tests in high school where I used to just come to class open the book for 10 minutes before class to look over the stuff I didn't know and walk out with like 80% on the test. I never used to really open the book at home other than to do homework.

Probably also does not help I learned by memorizing everything when I was young, but damn teachers drummed it out of you that you had to actually learn stuff not just memorize it... Probably explains why I was good at math and sucked at English.

Dragonfly
01-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Again more excellent ideas..minus the osmosis part lol. But as for the recordings I LOVE idea because in my Psych. class we had Cd-Roms to go with it that would read the text to you, had little quizzes etc. and I found that helped alot. But most of my lectures are 2-3 hours long and I have kids at home..no way do I have time for that unfortunately :( and you need special permissions everytime you enter the class with it, in writing yadd yadda. But I wish!

bluekrissyspikes
01-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Again more excellent ideas..minus the osmosis part lol. But as for the recordings I LOVE idea because in my Psych. class we had Cd-Roms to go with it that would read the text to you, had little quizzes etc. and I found that helped alot. But most of my lectures are 2-3 hours long and I have kids at home..no way do I have time for that unfortunately :( and you need special permissions everytime you enter the class with it, in writing yadd yadda. But I wish!

record it on a cell phone and make your kids listen with you. they will wonder when they are 25, where all this info came from..lol:wink:

Dragonfly
01-14-2010, 08:41 AM
I can get charged for that