PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

tippikitty
01-13-2010, 01:44 AM
Ok so I bought a new laptop tonight and I'm ready to pull out my hair.
When I was in the middle of trying to make the factory back up disc the power cord or something came lose and the computer shut down. When getting it all plugged in again I can't seem to figure out how to do the Factory back up disc.
The first time it just came up and I was following the directions. This time it didn't say anything.
Someone please help, it's making me crazy. I have to go to bed now, but hoping when I wake up someone will have the answer. :(

Blue Lotus Rising
01-13-2010, 03:26 AM
I think what you're looking for can be found here:

Start menu > All programs > Maintenance > Create a Recovery Disc

Of course, this must be done with a mouth full of Pop Rocks- I'm just sayin'!

icecapp
01-13-2010, 06:02 AM
I Know what u mean about hair pulling. my husband bought me a note book for school, nothing crazy expensive but im on the third one since the 9th of jan. I had one fry on me one screen kept turning black went back yesterday got something different from the first two. Between setting up three operating systems making it personalized for me and adding stuff i need for school im tired im hoping the thirds a charm. I will say the guys at future shop have been great.

tippikitty
01-13-2010, 09:19 AM
I think what you're looking for can be found here:

Start menu > All programs > Maintenance > Create a Recovery Disc

Of course, this must be done with a mouth full of Pop Rocks- I'm just sayin'!

You got any pop rocks I can use? I seem to be all out.

Would creating a recovery disc work for the "factory default" disc?

Upper Decker
01-13-2010, 09:36 AM
The recovery disk is nothing more then an windows OS disk with a whole wack of bloated crap throw into it. Best bet is to download a copy of windows yourself (you have a licence so downloading it is perfectly legal)
Factory default and recovery disk are the same thing.

tippikitty
01-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Ok how do I do that? Also it says I need a dvd to copy onto. Can I use a blank cd or does it have to be dvd?

Hans
01-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Has to be a DVD.

Hans
01-13-2010, 09:51 AM
I believe you can also order this disc, which might be easier it you have problems understanding how to proceed.

tippikitty
01-13-2010, 09:51 AM
I know this is a stupid question but.....which way does the cd go in; facing up or facing down?

tippikitty
01-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Has to be a DVD.

Thanks! That's probably why I can't get it to work.

Upper Decker
01-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Colored side goes down, label facing upwards.If youd like I could give you a copy of windows on a disk and save yourself from having an aneurysim lol.

tippikitty
01-13-2010, 10:03 AM
LOL Is it that noticeable that I'm a little stressed over it?

Hans
01-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Yes, but that copy will need to be installed and activated using the proper OEM certificate. Now that is going to drive her over the deep end for sure!

tippikitty
01-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Yep heading to the deep end. I'm going to buy some DVDs and see if that works. I was trying to use blank Cd's so that must have been why it didn't work.

tippikitty
01-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Ok so I went out and got the dvd+r and it's still not working. It says...

Error Code 0X207

Now what? I'm ready to toss the freaking thing.

Hans
01-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Order the rescue dvd from the manufacturer online?

tippikitty
01-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Why would I need a rescue disc already? I just bought the thing and took it out of the package? Shouldn't it be ready to go?

Hans
01-13-2010, 05:26 PM
The thing is to save money they don't include an Operating System disc. Instead they include a program that you can use 1 time to make a recovery DVD.

If you have problems making a recovery DVD you can order the DVD from the manufacturer, for a minimal fee.

You don't have to have one, but if you ever have to reinstall windows you will need the recovery DVD.

However, something they don't always make clear is that your laptop also has a recovery partition on your hd that you can use to restore your system back into it's original state.
You could use that one, but if anything happens to your partition table you will not be able to use it, in which case the recovery DVD will be your only restore option.

tippikitty
01-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Ok I Just don't get it. I tried to do a system repair disc and it won't even let me do that. I get an error that says I/O 0x80070450.
Is there some place I can bring it to get it done cause clearly I don't have a clue on what to do?

icecapp
01-18-2010, 06:03 AM
where did u buy it? I know when we bought our note books they offered us for 100 dollars to set up and make all discs at the futre shop, I did not feel a need for this as I have set up many computers, Like I said I ended up with two note books ( as we bought 2 one for me one for my husband) both gatways and my first one screen kept turning black, took it back two days later, they gave me another, and had that one 2 days and it litterly fried, hard drive would not boot up, MY husbands has been flawless, Now I ended up I took the second one back, and finally got an acer aspire, and Touch wood no troubles at all,

but Like i said furture shop wanted to charge us 100 dollars a note book for set up and to make discs... well the way I seen it is I would use my partition as My note book does not have a disk drive.. ( thats why its called a notebook or net book)