PDA

View Full Version : Oil Stove

NewCasa
01-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Hi

Considering putting in an oil stove. Right now just investigating options. Does anyone know who would locally provide and install one?

Thanks!

MaO3
01-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Hey NoCasa,
We had an oil stove, ours came from Ultramar - which is no longer in business, however we had issues with it and the best service we received was from Wardlaw.
Thier technicians had training "specifically" dealing with the carb's and the other issues that we had. We had McDougals come out as well, but found the Wardlaw guy much better trained and qualified.
So, I'd say Wardlaw.

NewCasa
01-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks MA03. Actually, I will check all three of them out and I will certainly take into account your comments on service. I've always found Wardlaw service to be good too, but was hoping to find someone a bit less expensive.

verotik66
01-13-2010, 07:43 PM
we have oil in our house, we are in the planning stage on building a new house, the oil company says " we can help you out with your new furnace for you new house"

I laughed in their face, "OIL is not going anywhere near my new house"

NewCasa
01-13-2010, 07:47 PM
we have oil in our house, we are in the planning stage on building a new house, the oil company says " we can help you out with your new furnace for you new house"

I laughed in their face, "OIL is not going anywhere near my new house"

Yeah so I'll have them run a gas line out to Goulais. Good plan.

yoda
01-13-2010, 08:17 PM
we had Wardlaw install our oil furnace and ductwork, at the time they were comparable in price to other companies and their installation crew were very experienced. We maintained our electric system as well. Last winter I think electric would have been cheaper than the oil furnace. Nothing compares to a good old wood stove!

01-15-2010, 06:44 PM
but was hoping to find someone a bit less expensive.

Most of the time, you get what you pay for.

NewCasa
01-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Most of the time, you get what you pay for.

So....you drive a Rolls Royce?

Anapeg
01-20-2010, 07:40 AM
So....you drive a Rolls Royce?

I drive a Rolls and Hardly. It rolls down hill and hardly makes it up. You looking for a complete system or just and oil stove. If it is an oil stove you and I, we, us can install it. If it is a forced air system then you need the "big boys". A strategically placed oil stove with circulation vents and low RPM fans could be for you though.

NewCasa
01-20-2010, 09:48 AM
I drive a Rolls and Hardly. It rolls down hill and hardly makes it up. You looking for a complete system or just and oil stove. If it is an oil stove you and I, we, us can install it. If it is a forced air system then you need the "big boys". A strategically placed oil stove with circulation vents and low RPM fans could be for you though.

Just the stove is all I want - well that, the tank and the exhaust.

My comment about the Rolls was back to the dude who said 'you get what you pay for' like some schoolyard kid. And I've got another thing to toss back at him - 'value and cost often have little to do with each other'.

Ok - I'm happy now ;)

Anapeg
01-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Just the stove is all I want - well that, the tank and the exhaust.

My comment about the Rolls was back to the dude who said 'you get what you pay for' like some schoolyard kid. And I've got another thing to toss back at him - 'value and cost often have little to do with each other'.

OK - I'm happy now ;)

The tank has standards that must be met so new is likely your better bet. Stove pipe comes in a ton of different configurations from plain thin wall seamed pipe to fully insulated stainless steel and all points inbetween. The feed line is quick and easy 'cause it is simply copper tube, tube not pipe. Tube is flexible pipe is ridged. A few assorted fittings and BOB'S YOUR UNCLE! Some where in one of my storage areas I have two, count them two stoves, and surprisingly enough they both work. By ther way stoves burn stove oil not furnace or off road diesel. Lower flash point, less waxing. I will explain over some libation on Thursday, now known as THIRST day.

verotik66
01-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Yeah so I'll have them run a gas line out to Goulais. Good plan.

there are many other options besides gas, geothermal heating is what is going in my new home, you can get a wood fired boiler, corn fed boiler, etc why be a slave to a comodity like oil and gas?

NewCasa
02-02-2010, 03:18 PM
there are many other options besides gas, geothermal heating is what is going in my new home, you can get a wood fired boiler, corn fed boiler, etc why be a slave to a comodity like oil and gas?

Oh I'm well aware of the other options. Trouble is that the majority of them have an incredibly long payback period, especially for a smaller house. Most of the boiler types are going to be close to as picky as the pellet stove and take as much effort to keep going. Geothermal is an expensive install - about double standard systems. I honestly am just sick of fighting against my heating system.

At any rate, I had a guy out to check out the pellet stove. He taught me a ton about it. Seems there were a few areas I wasn't cleaning - mainly because it said nothing about them in the instructions. So now I know. Now the pellet stove is in great shape. Runs almost eight full hours before it chokes on clinkers. Good thing I've got the electric alternative - may be expensive, but at least I know my pipes won't be frozen when I get home after work!