PDA

View Full Version : Teachers coming to the trough "again"

blueboy
01-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Just how much do the teachers need,really getting sick of their demands that taxpayers have to pay

It's really a shame that people are that greedy

Maybe it's time to shut the schools down for a yr and privitize the whole public secter jobs

Loved to see just how much a teacher makes "total pkg" how many hrs they work in a yr and compare it to the private sector

The union is just pushing for as many dollars as the taxpayers are willing to pay and this has gotta stop

Ever hear of a teacher quitting a/c better pay and pension in the private sector

Anapeg
01-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Your English teacher was overpaid, that is a given.

8th
01-13-2010, 05:46 PM
LOL.

bouffant
01-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Just how much do the teachers need,really getting sick of their demands that taxpayers have to pay

It's really a shame that people are that greedy

Maybe it's time to shut the schools down for a yr and privitize the whole public secter jobs

Loved to see just how much a teacher makes "total pkg" how many hrs they work in a yr and compare it to the private sector

The union is just pushing for as many dollars as the taxpayers are willing to pay and this has gotta stop

Ever hear of a teacher quitting a/c better pay and pension in the private sector

Do you even know anything about what you are talking about?

Anapeg
01-13-2010, 05:48 PM
I have been through this before (on your side) and won't antagonize the "professionals" again. I will howsoever await the few teachers on here to log on and see how they feel. I love a good, rousing debate, you feel up to it I hope?

IMHO
01-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Teacher salaries are no secret. It takes about 11 years to get to the top salary if you are in the top category. Having been a teacher I know this is always a problem. People thinking that teachers get too many holidays and are over paid. I would invite anyone having concersn to pay a visit to a school and see what teachers are dealing with. In some case the teacher sees more of the child than the parents does. I would suggest that teachers are well paid..but not over paid. Those that complain about teachers having the summer off should ask themselves if they would like thier child in school throughout the hot summers. keep in mind teachers are NOT paid for the summer. they have their total salary divided over 12 months so that they have a year round income. It helps with budgeting. Visit a school and see all the good stuff going on.

Oscar_Leroy
01-13-2010, 06:18 PM
so a quick question regarding the potential strike. If teachers do go on strike and the semester comes to an abrupt end, are students reimbursed any of the tuition fees they have paid, most often through OSAP, or are the students out of luck? I don't care either way, but find the situation interesting.

official soonet pu$$ycat
01-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Your English teacher was overpaid, that is a given.

:cat: - LOL the cat approves.

ssmarie
01-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Everyone has a choice as to what to do after highschool. Some choose to go into the education field - wait - we all have that choice - oops, sorry looks like some people on here didn't make that choice - live with the choices (careers) you make and don't be jealous of teachers. Want the summers off? - go back to school and get a teaching degree! Want a good secure pension - go back to school and get a teaching degree! I could go on but won't - I dare any complainer on here to go and spend a day in the life of teacher with 30 kids in the classroom - 1/3 of them special needs, some coming to school hungry etc etc etc. Teachers deal with all sorts of social issues out of the realm oftheir teaching degree so HATS OFF TO ALL THE TEACHERS OUT THERE!!!!!

Muse
01-13-2010, 06:53 PM
The potential strike isn't about teacher's salaries. The financial aspect of the negotiations were agreed upon by both sides. The issues that they're voting on striking for are workload and academic freedom. This isn't supersecret information, it's freely available.

It's going to be a mess for the students if they do strike. Especially financially. OSAP won't extend loans if the semester is extended as a result.

dancingqueen
01-13-2010, 06:59 PM
I am against a teacher strike as far as how it affects the kids in the classroom, that is all. Unfortunately, I am not aware of what it is they want, but highly doubt it is unreasonable

Huggy85
01-13-2010, 07:59 PM
so a quick question regarding the potential strike. If teachers do go on strike and the semester comes to an abrupt end, are students reimbursed any of the tuition fees they have paid, most often through OSAP, or are the students out of luck? I don't care either way, but find the situation interesting.

I was in college during the 2006 strike. It lasted about 3 weeks. There was no tuition refund.

Not only did we not get our money's worth for our education, but we all felt we were shorted on our learning as well.

Last year's strike at York University lasted 11 weeks. I don't think any refunds were given there either.

Amaranth
01-13-2010, 08:18 PM
My husband was in college during the 2006 strike. It was incredibly frustrating and he felt he didn't get the education he should have.

Students do not get any tuition refunded, at least that is what a faculty member has explained to me. She also said that she would never let anyone in her course graduate if they were missing, for instance, three weeks of their education. This means that if the strike lasts three weeks, the students in (most) courses would be in classes for an extra three weeks. This will cause issues with funding such as OSAP (as well as others).

Another problem this would pose is that some agencies rely heavily on the students who are in placement. The non-profit agency I am with is very short staffed for a couple of reasons, one being a lack of funding. Without any faculty at the college to supervise students, there would be a liability issue and students would not be able to attend placements. For our agency this would create a barrier for the clients because a lack of students means there would be two fewer staff and that is a big deal.

theShadow
01-13-2010, 08:26 PM
I always get amused that whenever people criticize teachers for striking, someone always has to say it's because they're jealous. Maybe, people get critical because they are tired of seeing students held hostage during contract negotiations. There's a reason teachers don't go on strike June 1st.

fenderbass
01-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Now this is one big can of worms you opened.......Your on your own blueboy...I hope you know how to fight, You got one coming...When any of the teachers that are on this forum read this, they will rip you a new one...Trust me..

answerman
01-13-2010, 08:36 PM
If we are talking about college teachers, most are not teachers as defied by the government or the ontarios teachers federations. Teachers have Bachelor of education after getting a BA......college teachers mostly have life experience and are not teachers as defined by the federation. College teachers are well paid, but I think that this thread has gone astray.

Anapeg
01-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Where ARE all the teachers anyway? I'm anticipating the excrement hitting the rotary defuselator. Come on people!

Ocean
01-13-2010, 08:53 PM
The unofficial results are in…74.76% of all full-time academic staff cast their ballots with 57.03% voting in favour of a strike and 42.97% voting against a strike.

fenderbass
01-13-2010, 09:01 PM
They may have a hard time finding wood for a fire...We have it all on our picket line...

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
01-13-2010, 09:07 PM
I stole it all a few minutes ago...

Jackie B
01-13-2010, 09:17 PM
My friend just paid her daughter's $1,400 tuition with a check postdated for the 15th. She is contemplating cancelling the check. Any thoughts on that?

fenderbass
01-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Dam you 6th.....

Dragonfly
01-13-2010, 09:23 PM
I didnt read all of what was said but I read some things about it being about money. Well its not. They want academic freedom. They want a lightened curriculum so they can teach what they want. This is mainly why our students are outraged. They held meetings at the Outback and explained that this is a terrible thing because now it will be so much harder to get credit for courses completed at other institutions because all teachers will be teaching what they want and not necessarily the same thing. I never heard about there being a money issue, all that was spoken about was academic freedom. There may be a minor issue about money...but I never heard it at any of the meetings.

Amaranth
01-13-2010, 09:26 PM
I didnt read all of what was said but I read some things about it being about money. Well its not. They want academic freedom. They want a lightened curriculum so they can teach what they want. This is mainly why our students are outraged. They held meetings at the Outback and explained that this is a terrible thing because now it will be so much harder to get credit for courses completed at other institutions because all teachers will be teaching what they want and not necessarily the same thing. I never heard about there being a money issue, all that was spoken about was academic freedom. There may be a minor issue about money...but I never heard it at any of the meetings.

That's pretty much how the faculty member I spoke to summed it up - academic freedom. They work hard, I don't care what anyone says.

My daughter is in second semester CYW and she is kind of freaking out but I am just hoping that if they do strike, it will not be long. The students will get their full education but it just creates some problems with funding, with people who are graduating and need to get into the workforce, etc.

Dragonfly
01-13-2010, 09:27 PM

I spoke to financial aid about that and they said no way. We dont get an extention on our semester or any money returned. We simply deal with it and cram what information we missed into the weeks we have left. Some teachers are making plans for us to do some things on our own just in case. But no, no refunds. She said if anything WE would owe for childcare money that they give us but she also said that is extremely unlikely.

Amaranth
01-13-2010, 09:29 PM
I spoke to financial aid about that and they said no way. We dont get an extention on our semester or any money returned. We simply deal with it and cram what information we missed into the weeks we have left. Some teachers are making plans for us to do some things on our own just in case. But no, no refunds. She said if anything WE would owe for childcare money that they give us but she also said that is extremely unlikely.

Some professors will be making students make up that time. I know they will be for the SSW program should they strike because I was told that for graduating students there is no way they can graduate if they are missing more than a week.

Dragonfly
01-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Some professors will be making students make up that time. I know they will be for the SSW program should they strike because I was told that for graduating students there is no way they can graduate if they are missing more than a week.

I am in CYW and was told by faculty that they will not by any means extend the semester that it will be "hell for everyone involved because we are cramming everything in" as my Communications teacher put it. They arent allowed to say much but that is what I was told.

Giggle Squirt
01-13-2010, 09:43 PM
The last time they went on strike I lost out on so much money and class time. I was a student and had a unneeded vacation. The "co-op" time we did during the strike didn't count towards the class hours because they were not in teaching mode. And we couldn't just quit our placements because they teachers were on strike. So when the went back to teaching and we went back to class we had to make up our placement hours on our own time

01-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Wow that doesn't sound a bunch of educators that are looking out for the welfare of the students.

Dragonfly
01-13-2010, 09:54 PM
I agree. They definately aren't thinking of us at this point. I don't care what any teacher says, we are poker chips.

IMHO
01-13-2010, 10:25 PM
Why should anyone get their tuition back? When the strike is over you will get all the materials,perhaps crammed ,and you will graduate. You get ,therefore, what you paid for albeit wrapped in a slightly worn package.

Kesler84
01-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Why should anyone get their tuition back? When the strike is over you will get all the materials,perhaps crammed ,and you will graduate. You get ,therefore, what you paid for albeit wrapped in a slightly worn package.

To be fair, It would harm the students in the sense that they are missing out, Any placements would stop along with the strike as faculty has to be in the college while students are attending placement. In addition to that, As if tests and projects weren't already a heavy burden, usually all coming at once, this will compound the issue, no doubt directly affecting the students grades, thats not fair at all.

Giggle Squirt
01-13-2010, 10:50 PM
with my program we had to leave out certain topics of learning and didn't get all of our shop hours in because that would mean we would of had to extend the semester.

Dragonfly
01-14-2010, 08:45 AM
We are also paying to be there for 4 months, if I am there for 3 why the hell should I pay for the extra month? I quite frankly dont care if I get money back BUT if they go and extend the semester who is going to pay my rent, groceries, medications and bills that month? OSAP wont give us more money. I have good grades, if they cram everything, everyones grades will drop. How is that fair to the people who give a hoot about their education or GPA? Im tired of students being pawns in a game that they lose no matter what. They voted to strike and can go for the strike in mid-February, so thanks wait for us to be nice and settled in and then kick us on our butts.

Barry Morris
01-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Couln't the words "class action suit" fit in here somewhere?? Especially concerning money and time lost??

Dragonfly
01-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Probably not. OSAP are a bunch of terds like that. I'm no lawyer tho so maybe.

Amaranth
01-14-2010, 10:22 AM
I am in CYW and was told by faculty that they will not by any means extend the semester that it will be "hell for everyone involved because we are cramming everything in" as my Communications teacher put it. They arent allowed to say much but that is what I was told.

This morning I was told that each professor and co-ordinator has different views on it and I guess certain core classes for registered professions have to be complete so that makes sense. It is a personal choice for them (which made some people really mad to find out this morning lol) as to whether or not people have full requirements for graduation. This is what I was told is in place for NSSW and SSW. For SSW, two things will have to be complete at the professor's discretion before graduation this April: the outlined amount of placement hours (and work related to it) and the course outline for the core academic class.

Upper Decker
01-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Since this is the 2nd strike ive been through at the college (first time around was back in '06 when I took my pre-health) and they extended the course into the summer to make up for the strike. Im all for the right to fair treatment at work but this is ridiculous, every single little thing these idiots want they are getting on our dollar and time and they seem to not give a rats ass since they have us students by the balls otherwise.

Dragonfly
01-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Ridiculous

Soonet-china
01-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Is it fair if you are paying for police foundations or aviation. You dont get the proper education, will someone hire you if they know this?

Bill Nash
01-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Why always jump on the teachers? How about getting on the college to back off and help the teachers get their knowledge to the students the best way possible, ...ie: academic freedom.

I don't for one minute sympathize with students on having to "cram in" three or four weeks of school. For the most part, I would hope they all have textbooks or resources of some sort where they could read ahead (who would have thought that would be an option!) and therefore be prepared to zip along and catch up on the semester. Part of learning is being able to "teach yourself", and if that can't be done, then why go through the process?

Never let it be said that someday, some of these students should ever be employed in a unionized job where they might ask for our sympathy and understanding.

Konig-OV
01-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Academic freedom promotes inconsistency within Ontario colleges. Wasn't it the teachers that wanted academic unity? I am probably wrong, I have no searched it. I thought it was the teachers that wanted all colleges to be the same, to level out enrollment. This was to eliminate rogue teaching styles, where a student could have benefited from learning at another school.

dancingqueen
01-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Why always jump on the teachers? How about getting on the college to back off and help the teachers get their knowledge to the students the best way possible, ...ie: academic freedom.

I don't for one minute sympathize with students on having to "cram in" three or four weeks of school. For the most part, I would hope they all have textbooks or resources of some sort where they could read ahead (who would have thought that would be an option!) and therefore be prepared to zip along and catch up on the semester. Part of learning is being able to "teach yourself", and if that can't be done, then why go through the process?

Never let it be said that someday, some of these students should ever be employed in a unionized job where they might ask for our sympathy and understanding.

So, what's the use in having teachers at all? or standardized practices.... Everyone can be an expert, just buy a book...
The teachers are needed because it is their responsibility to teach the subject material. That is why we pay tuition. I may not be completely familiar with what the teachers want, but the idea behind this post is silly, Why do you think we have teachers in the first place??? There are some things you just can't get from re reading the same passage over and over again. The teacher is there to help you understand what you cannot grasp from the book.

Dragonfly
01-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Its the same answer as would be given when we discuss what will happen when people graduate from the same course but at different colleges. If one college course covers more things or certain things more in depth than another college's course because of this academic freedom garbage, the ones who were taught less are going to be screwed. When another prospective college or employer looks at the course outlines and sees that one college has a better education level guess who is going to be hired. There are a lot of ways the strike and potential outcomes are going to be way worse for the students in the long run.

Dragonfly
01-14-2010, 01:44 PM
I can read it all I want but the professor is still going to cram it in and then the other stuff that should be taught at that time are going to be clouded by the cramming. The overall outcome is going to be less than what its original value could have been.I would rather the alotted week for a couple chapters then a couple days per chapter. I would rather know that we were given the absolute best amount of information and the time to absorb rather than have it all mumble jumbled together.

ssmarie
01-14-2010, 03:15 PM
If you read it and becomne familiar with the material you will know it when the time comes for the prof to "cram" it in as you put it. My hubby is already reading ahead to avoid a "cramming issue"

Dragonfly
01-14-2010, 08:56 PM
And your point is? Of course I will know when it will happen, the fact is that it will happen. I have been to most of the SAC meetings as well as readings. Cramming is unavoidable unless your prof is nice enough to give you alternate assignments over the strike period.

Bill Nash
01-15-2010, 02:10 AM
If you read it and becomne familiar with the material you will know it when the time comes for the prof to "cram" it in as you put it. My hubby is already reading ahead to avoid a "cramming issue"

My point exactly. I taught High School for 5 years, and most students are lazy,...plain and simple. Who is going to spoon feed you when you get out in the real world?

Upper Decker
01-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Ok you guys have something wrong with your heads. Since 06 this is the 3rd god damn hostage situation the teachers have put us through. What do you guys care, you arent paying 8 or 9 thousand for 4 months of school and constantly on edge of wondering if these idiot teachers are going to find something to whine about and strike. The went on stike of 06, had everyone hostage in 08 and now they are at it again. There are many many people who dont get funding extended and many of those who knew they were graduating and made plans for employment after school that are going to get the shaft because everything is out of wack.

This kind of issue the teachers could have waited until the summer months, but no the teachers know they can purposly strike right at the beginning of semesters as leverage to get what they want and no matter how you try to twist your words its wrong.

BFLPE
01-15-2010, 08:20 AM
It never about money.

"Nobody wants to be on strike but they all understand this is our only legal option, to take a strike vote, to give our team a strong strike mandate to try to get the management team back to the table," Rosen said.

A strike, if it happens, wouldn't be until the end of February, said Ted Montgomery, the union's bargaining chairman. A strike would shut down classes for some 200,000 students across the province.

"I hope the message is now clear to the employer that it's time to get back to the table, that we're serious about the demands," he said.

Full-time college teachers have been without a contract since Aug. 31.

Talks broke down over money issues. The union wants a 2.5% pay increase in each year of a three-year contract. The colleges have offered 1.75% in each of the first two years and 2% in the last two years of a four-year deal.http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2260834

Dragonfly
01-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Screw you students are friggin lazy! I was doing homework from 6pm till friggin 2 am most everyday last semester AND going to tutorials AND being a peer tutor AND coming home to raise kids. I dont call that lazy. I pay thousands upon thousands to be in school and I value my GPA very very very much. Having to cram what would have been 8 weeks worth of information into 4 weeks is just going to cause many people to get lower grades and less time to process the information or get its full value or the teachers will have to cut out information period. Believe me college is anything but spoon feeding. Of course highschool student are lazy their between 14 and 18 and dont have to pay/go in debt 90 thousand to be there, or pay $1000 just for their text books and 80 just to park. They get most everything for free and the teachers are pretty easy going. There is a world of difference between college and highschool...especially motivation wise

dancingqueen
01-15-2010, 05:19 PM
My point exactly. I taught High School for 5 years, and most students are lazy,...plain and simple. Who is going to spoon feed you when you get out in the real world?

There is a SIGNIFICANT difference between High school students and college students...
using the same judgment for both is demeaning and quite offensive really.

01-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Lazy students that do not pay attention in highschool tend to not attend college. To group them together is absurd.

01-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Was there any strike that didn't involve money?

Bill Nash
01-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Are you guys really making this up as you go along.

Lazy high school kids go to college and are lazy there as well. I went to university and helped put two kids through university, and nobody has paid anywhere near $90,000.00. $80.00 for parking might be a lot, so why not try public transit for a lot less.

It seems odd that all the whiners are trying to question the fact that teachers are saying it is not about the money, yet the students are whining about money they might lose. So why is it OK for the teachers to lose money, but no the students.

Don't give me that sob story about going to school and then having to go home to raise a family, ... yada, yada, yada. You either blew your first chance at post secondary school and now want sympathy that you finally smartened up, or you should have thought twice about having kids when you where a teenager. Don't blame society for your mistakes.

Once all of you "professional" students get out into the workforce, don't forget all the idiotic comments you have made about this issue. The teachers have a right to strike, that is how labour works. The best education you will ever get will be to spend 35 years in the workforce and then sit back and shake your head at how a bunch of students know how the world should be run. Such is society, ... it will never change.

How am I doing Anepeg, .... I guess that New Year's resolution to be nice to people went outwith the recent thaw! :)

ArcticBlue
01-15-2010, 08:50 PM
I guess that New Year's resolution to be nice to people went outwith the recent thaw! :)

I'd say!

Giggle Squirt
01-15-2010, 08:53 PM
my resolution was to be extra grumpy and b!tchy

Cher
01-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Perhaps I'm in the wrong profession..
I am not unionized, therefore cannot strike.. I don't get a pension or stress days,.. I don't get sick days, so if I'm sick, I don't get paid to take a day off... yet I get up for work every morning and take care of your loved ones, in their homes while they recover from surgery, illness, to promote health or as they take their last breath... just a diploma RN, who received her education at Sault College, luckily without faculty striking throughout her education...

Dragonfly
01-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Handyman: First, It doesnt matter what my previous situation was and no I have not been in college before this and the fact that I am juggling all of it proves that I cant be lazy or I wouldnt bother with my 10 hour days and long nights. Second, After speaking to financial aid as well as the credit counselling service in town I will be somewhere in that range after the 5-6 years I am going to college/university. Thirdly, I dont take the transit because I have to drop 2 children off at daycare for 8am about a ten minute drive from the college so it is not a logical move, I would never make into my seat for 8:20 - 8:30 that way. Unless of course I drag my 2 children out of the house at 6am. PLus its 58 a month for a bus pass and 80 for a semester parking pass. Do the math there teach. I never said they do not have a right to strike I am all for it, I am just tired of students being used at poker chips. There is April, may, june, july and August that they could strike in. I agree that its a more threatening move when done during a semester I just think it causes a lot of diffculty for the thousands of students involved. Figures you were a teacher once.

ArcticBlue
01-15-2010, 09:29 PM
I taught High School for 5 years, and most students are lazy,...plain and simple.

And, what did you do for the other 30 years you were in the workforce?

iluvchristian
01-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Lazy high school kids go to college and are lazy there as well.

It seems odd that all the whiners are trying to question the fact that teachers are saying it is not about the money, yet the students are whining about money they might lose. So why is it OK for the teachers to lose money, but no the students.

Don't give me that sob story about going to school and then having to go home to raise a family, ... yada, yada, yada.
Once all of you "professional" students get out into the workforce, don't forget all the idiotic comments you have made about this issue.

Yes, and those lazy students don't give a crap about a strike most likely because they have OSAP, or mommy & daddy are buying (from what I've seen)

"Talks broke down over MONEY ISSUES. The union wants a 2.5% pay increase in each year of a three-year contract. The colleges have offered 1.75% in each of the first two years and 2% in the last two years of a four-year deal.

Other stumbling blocks for a deal are proposed changes to how workload is determined, academic freedom, the grievance process, probation for rehired teachers and pension credits for some faculty."
(http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2260834)

So, the number one reason they're striking IS the money issues, all the rest are secondary. I'm sorry, college/university teachers have a pretty sweet deal. They don't have to give a crap about the students and trying to get them to learn (like elementary/highschool), they are salary and have some pretty sweet vacation time, the have a union to go running to whenever they want something. I've never heard of any other groups going to the picket line so much as the teachers (although postal seems to rank up there too) My husband is going back to school (not because he 'screwed up the first time') but to change careers, he is doing great. We saved for him to go back, and he spent almost as much on books as he did in tuition. All the little things add up!
Your telling people "If parking is so much, take public transit" Well, I say if teaching isn't paying enough, find another job! Quit wasting everyone's time with "we're not being treated fair!" Compared to who? Like your job is so much harder then what? A nurse? A roofer? A call center worker? Ahh, whatever, LOL!

Dragonfly
01-15-2010, 10:02 PM
I have OSAP and I am still very annoyed. And in regards to Handyman again, I missed the whining about money part...I am going into massive debt, so yes Im peeved that my money isnt going to the weeks it was was supposed to.

iluvchristian
01-15-2010, 10:17 PM
I have OSAP and I am still very annoyed. And in regards to Handyman again, I missed the whining about money part...I am going into massive debt, so yes Im peeved that my money isnt going to the weeks it was was supposed to.

Yes, but I'm sure you understand that you have to pay OSAP back, where most ppl fresh out of high school don't quite grasp that concept. (I was one of them, LOL, I knew, but I didn't understand the full impact of it!) I'm completely 100% in agreement with you, that's why I quoted some of the BS from Handyman!

Dragonfly
01-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Ohhhh yes I know. thats why Im mad that I am going into debt for something I am not getting the full value of.

EyelashExtensions
01-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Academic freedom just messes up the entire college system. If the curriculum is different from one college to the next there are NO transfer of credits ever. I think teachers should have some freedom when it comes to teaching, or a yearly universal update per program. To do away with academic unity would only hurt students. My teachers in college don't want to strike.In fact they have told us the teachers that do want to strike are the ones in larger cities. The majority of Sault college teachers are against striking. Luckily for me, our teacher has been planning in case of a strike. Preparing material and leaving open our lab so that we can still attend class and continue with our education. We will not be able to go on placement and might have to make up hours. My program runs from September till august, with a new program starting again in August. So if the strike goes longer than a month we're bummin! The college and the teachers locally are trying to come up with a plan in case they walk in February. It is management and teachers in the bigger cities where these problems are coming from.

Dragonfly
01-16-2010, 07:27 AM
Agreed!! Apparently to people on here were only lazy college students and academic freedom is the way to go!!! But it sure as heck isnt. 88% of Sault College teachers voted to strike I thought? Only one of my teachers is making preparations to my knowledge but we certainly wont be in the building for them. And HI!! Lizard havent see you here in a long time!

Bill Nash
01-16-2010, 08:31 AM
Wah, Wah, Wah!

KDawg
01-16-2010, 08:57 AM
So the teachers are going to strike for more money and "academic freedom." (that's union-speak for less work, same money).

Here's my take. The problem here is the union executive. Since colleges are provincially funded, the unions see that as a bottomless pot of money, so why not strike? I also doubt the union locals have the balls to stand up to their provincial bosses, to get a "no" vote on a strike.

Again, I'm talking about the union executive here, not the individual members -- I'm sure most of them do a fine job at teaching.

Dragonfly
01-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Your a teacher and thats what you come up with? And you talk about maturity...

Bill Nash
01-16-2010, 11:00 AM
So the teachers are going to strike for more money and "academic freedom." (that's union-speak for less work, same money).

Here's my take. The problem here is the union executive. Since colleges are provincially funded, the unions see that as a bottomless pot of money, so why not strike? I also doubt the union locals have the balls to stand up to their provincial bosses, to get a "no" vote on a strike.

Again, I'm talking about the union executive here, not the individual members -- I'm sure most of them do a fine job at teaching.

A union isn't individual members. Now I know where they get the term oxy"moron".

Bill Nash
01-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Your a teacher and thats what you come up with? And you talk about maturity...

That's the best comeback you have? Our society was, and always will be, built with the sweat of real workers, not professional students.

Blue Lotus Rising
01-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Wah, Wah, Wah!

Here, have a tissue.

Dragonfly
01-16-2010, 11:08 AM
That's the best comeback you have? Our society was, and always will be, built with the sweat of real workers, not professional students.

How is it my fault that to get a good, well paying job you have to go to school for years? I am not a professional student. Im in second semester idiot. I MUST take 3 years of college and then the extra 2 years of university to get the degree in what I am aiming for. How did you get to be a teacher? How many years did you put in? I dont understand how someone like you..is a teacher.

KDawg
01-16-2010, 11:13 AM
A union isn't individual members. Now I know where they get the term oxy"moron".

I understand your point of view, comrade.

Apparently reading comprehension wasn't a requirement for whatever union job you had. I said the UNION EXECUTIVE were to blame -- the union executive is made up of individuals who are just do what they're told by their bosses, like good little minions, whether individual members get screwed in the process or not.

BTW, unions ARE made up of individual members, but I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

ArcticBlue
01-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Handyman: Have you ever given some thought to bridging the generation gap? Times have changed since you were a student, or even a teacher for that matter.
Personally, I think that it is good to see that people are still attending college and university - no matter what age they are or when they decided to do it - and at least making an attempt at furthering themselves.

Barry Morris
01-16-2010, 11:24 AM
How is it my fault that to get a good, well paying job you have to go to school for years? I am not a professional student. Im in second semester idiot. I MUST take 3 years of college and then the extra 2 years of university to get the degree in what I am aiming for. How did you get to be a teacher? How many years did you put in? I dont understand how someone like you..is a teacher.

A tradesman can get to be a high school teacher with 8 months of teachers college.

A tradesman can get to be a college teacher. Period.

To the best of my knowledege. AND experience.

Dragonfly
01-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Fair enough, but he never said that. MOST teachers go the route of going to teachers college etc. But let me guess they are professional students going nowhere too? Or Doctors now they are there for yeaaaaaars, but they are only professional students who dont know what real work is. Right?

dancingqueen
01-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Lazy high school kids go to college and are lazy there as well.

What an arrogant statement!

dancingqueen
01-16-2010, 03:38 PM

You seem to have a hard time grasping the concept that finding a good job is very different these days than when you where finding a job. You didn't need an education, you just walked in with probably not even a high school diploma and got your comfy little job, these days, you need a minimum college diploma to get anywhere, so quit your ignorant complaining about students, It's getting old.

Tutones
01-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Fair enough, but he never said that. MOST teachers go the route of going to teachers college etc. But let me guess they are professional students going nowhere too? Or Doctors now they are there for yeaaaaaars, but they are only professional students who dont know what real work is. Right?

College Teachers do not require a teaching degree to teach. They must only have a masters degree or experience in the field/subject they are teaching. Only elementary/highschool students are required to be TRAINED as teachers.

Dragonfly
01-16-2010, 06:12 PM
And he was a highschool teacher. SO then I am right and he needed to be a "professional student" no?

And Yeah Dq, today we cant even pick up effin garbage without an education...

EyelashExtensions
01-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Agreed!! Apparently to people on here were only lazy college students and academic freedom is the way to go!!! But it sure as heck isnt. 88% of Sault College teachers voted to strike I thought? Only one of my teachers is making preparations to my knowledge but we certainly wont be in the building for them. And HI!! Lizard havent see you here in a long time!

Actually 57% voted to strike, not 88%. If only one of your teachers are making preparations, than you need to go and talk to the other ones and see what you can do to keep up if they do strike. We have plenty of projects and know a lot of our practical stuff already, so that hopefully we won't fall behind.

I also have to agree with Fudd....this could have waited to at least the summer. They could have continued negotiations in the meantime and voted to strike in June. It still would have affected my course, but it would of benefit the majority of students.

Dragonfly
01-17-2010, 09:00 AM
it was 57% in ontario.

Dragonfly
01-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Ontario colleges continue to seek a negotiated settlement with OPSEU

TORONTO - (January 13) - With its strike vote now completed, Ontario's 24 colleges are urging the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU) representing full-time faculty to return to the bargaining table and work to get a negotiated agreement.

The colleges have made an offer to faculty that increases salaries by eight percent over four years and raises the maximum salary to $103,975, ensuring that Ontario college faculty members continue to be the best paid in Canada.

Dr. Rachael Donovan, the chair of the colleges' bargaining team, said the colleges will be asking OPSEU to return to the bargaining table as soon as possible to work to avoid a strike.

"We are committed to negotiating a fair, affordable and practical settlement, which ensures that our students receive the highest quality of education possible," Dr. Donovan said.

The initial results indicate that approximately 57 per cent of faculty voted in favour of a strike.

Although this is a narrow vote in favour of a strike, the result still gives OPSEU a strike mandate and the ability to now call a strike at any time.

However, Dr. Donovan said the priority has to be on reaching an agreement and averting a strike.

"The union must work with colleges to reach a fair, affordable and practical agreement," said Dr. Donovan. "A strike mandate hasn't made OPSEU's positions any more affordable. It hasn't given the colleges any more money."

Amaranth
01-17-2010, 09:09 AM
It was 80.99% at Sault College. http://collegestrike.ca/?p=221 :omg:

The night before the vote, a good friend of mine who attends Sault College said his professors "guessed 80% will vote for a strike". The professors had apparently taken a poll. Now, the professors I have talked to said they are going to try and wait to strike during the February study break which begins on February 15th. This way, the students miss as little as possible.

IMHO
01-17-2010, 10:25 AM
You people can cry all you want ...BUT.. the teachers are doing nothing illegal...they have the RIGHT to strike after following all attempts to reach a settlement. Surely no one is suggesting that the right to strike should be taken away from this one group. If the College was so concerned about the education of its students it would get in a room with the teacher negotiators and not come out until they have an agreement. It will come down to that eventually so why not now? Keep in mind...SOO COLLEGE AND THE LIKE ARE A BUSINESS. Its all about profit and loss and then quality education comes AFTER that. It would seem the College employers have backed the teachers into a corner and they are fighting to keep what they fought for in the past.Teachers should not have to give up anything. YES I am a retired teacher.

dancingqueen
01-17-2010, 12:28 PM
and the students just don't matter then right?

Anapeg
01-17-2010, 12:34 PM
and the students just don't matter then right?

Teachers, for the most part are not there for the student. They are there for the pay, the vacation, job security, good hours and clean, climate controlled work environment. They will tell you different for they wish, as all do, to sound noble. Alas it is but a business decision and you but a pawn.

dancingqueen
01-17-2010, 12:36 PM
sad, but true.
I am sure there are some who are there for the students... but alas, probably the vast minority