PDA

View Full Version : chicken pox

bluekrissyspikes
01-14-2010, 11:33 AM
does chicken pox start out looking like 1cm wide pimples/ all the pics i see online look really red and blistery but my step son has really itchy pimple looking marks on his chest and shoulder. also, are you supposed to take them to the doctor for chicken pox or only if it makes them really sick? can i get calamine lotion at the pharmacy if i need it without going to the doctor

HDV
01-14-2010, 11:56 AM
In my experience with CP, it does start off the first day like little pimple then they get red and blistery. You do not have to bring him to the doctors unless he gets a very high fever that Tylenol does not bring down, or he gets very ill. You can buy calamine lotion at any pharmacy.

Babzz
01-14-2010, 12:08 PM
An oatmeal bath will help the itch also.. You can it at the pharmacy

Amaranth
01-14-2010, 12:33 PM
You can get calamine over the counter and the pink stuff works much better than the clear stuff. I only took one of my kids to the doctor for it because she was so covered and had such a high fever it freaked us out.

Chicken pox are pretty much blisters when they first start out. One shows then another then ten more, throughout the day til they are covered.

bluekrissyspikes
01-14-2010, 12:42 PM
thanks. i'm still not sure if it's chicken pox or not. i guess i will have to wait and see what it turns into. i kept him home from school and sent him to bed anyways.

Dragonfly
01-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Another way to tell is by looking in the warmer places like the armpits etc. My doctor told me they get worse in areas like that.

Luv'inLife
01-14-2010, 08:45 PM
if its CP and you put him in a tub of warm water, they will appear(they are already there so it does not increase the amount, it just brings them out)...benedryl is also good for the itch. no doctor is needed unless high fever and also once they come out and start to dry/scab he is no longer contagious.

bluekrissyspikes
01-15-2010, 02:37 PM
hmm...well i gave him a warm bath and it doesn't seem to be spreading so maybe it's not chicken pox. he only has one more than he did yesterday and it's on his leg. the ones he does have are a bit bigger and redder though.

HDV
01-16-2010, 10:44 AM
My nephew, when he had the CP he had a total of 6 pox throughout his whole body. Some kids get tons of them and some get a few here and there.

Jackie B
01-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Usually, if you get a really mild case of chicken pox, it is much more likely that you will get them a second time. That happened to me as a child. The first time was so light, my body didn't build an immunity to it. The second time was horrible...probably worse than the average case.

bluekrissyspikes
01-20-2010, 12:00 AM
well i don't think it was chicken pox anyways. i think he picked up some kind of fleas or something at school. i think i got rid of them all now. i called his doctor but he didn't seem to worried about it. we are taking him in next week but by then they'll be all gone.