PDA

View Full Version : Wounder why this type of snow drive never caught on.

Lance1
01-15-2010, 09:38 AM
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,213971.0/topicseen.html

It could do a stand still 360 turn,never bury itself in deep snow and with our modern materials and technology that thing would cross thin ice and open water as well with those big water tight screw drums.

Jack Butler
01-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks Lance...way cool!
Never seen anything like it!

Anapeg
01-15-2010, 02:15 PM
There where various other prototypes of "twin screw" designs out there then tracks where attached and away we go. Some even produced a model of flat bottom with a motor and a propeller that went like hell but it was hard to steer, stop and it was noisy.

Anapeg
01-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Sorry Lance1 I did not answer your query. I suspect the biggest problem would be wear and tear on the drums themselves. Metal heavy enough to withstand the rigors would compromise performance while lighter aluminium would dent or perforate too easily. Any spinning or loss of traction would stress the screws working planes and cause damage especially on ground, rock or hard wood such as stumps..

Jack Butler
01-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Yup, that's good...Anapeg's played in the dirt.
Lots of open parts in motion too...a little dangerous.
How about the chains and sprockets driving the drums?
...tuck your pants and your laces in your boots!

01-15-2010, 07:03 PM
From what I gather from the vid, it's only supposed to be used in snow, not any other surfaces, though it says in an emergency it could be used on dry ground (grass).

Anapeg
01-15-2010, 10:35 PM
From what I gather from the vid, it's only supposed to be used in snow, not any other surfaces, though it says in an emergency it could be used on dry ground (grass).

Been on any trails lately?

Jack Butler
01-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Been on any trails lately?

Yup again....gotta love the good ole' Canadian Shield

Jack Butler
01-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Now here is something to write home about.
Can't imagine what the ride feels like....way cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2V8GFqk_Y&feature=related

Anapeg
01-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Looks interesting and fun at the same time. One would question putting that much weight on those feet though. A track would disperse the weight much better over a far larger area thereby leaving a smaller "foot print" so to speak. As well a cleat-ed track or rubber tire would offer more sure footedness on wet, rocky terrain I would think. The movements of the machine are extremely insect like just the same, almost delicate.

Jack Butler
01-16-2010, 08:20 AM
I thought the same thing.
It IS some engineering just the same....love that stuff!