PDA

View Full Version : what can I add to a cake mix to make yummier??

Babzz
01-15-2010, 11:42 AM
I have a cherry cake mix here. Any thoughts on how i can make it taste better. Its for my son birthday and want to make it yummy for him :)

HDV
01-15-2010, 11:46 AM
I heard that in chocolate cake you can add a can of coke. i dont knwo about cherry. My grandmother use to make cakes and one was cherry liek u said and after the cake was done she would take a wooden spoon and use the handle to poke holes throughout the cake and then put vanilla pudding into the poked holes. Then each piece of cake had some vanilla pudding filling. You can use whatever puddng you want but for cherry bvanilla would be the best. Wit just plain white cake we would use butter pecan pudding, ect...

Sweet Little Sister
01-15-2010, 01:43 PM
cherry chip is my favorite cake mix!
i make a plain butter icing, but instead of the milk i use juice from jar of marachino cherries. gives colour and flavour.

Dragonfly
01-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Adding apple sauce will make it less dry..other than that no idea sorry

ArcticBlue
01-16-2010, 01:07 AM
Chocolate chips

will
01-17-2010, 03:33 PM
being trianed in school for cooking and with years of experrice, you can put just about anything into the cake mix, just keep in mind the ballance of liquids....they all havea reason to be there that is scientifically specific. you want to mess around, make one from scratch, its easy. also you may have to add some flours, more egg, slow you cook time ect.. do what you will jsut remeber the balance of eggs, fats, liquids, leveners,and flours....

ssmarie
01-17-2010, 07:19 PM
all I can say is " wow"

ssmarie
01-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Maybe you could change the lemon jello to cherry and use vanilla pudding

Luscious Lemon Poke Cake

What You Need!

2 baked round white cake layers (9 inch), cooled
2 cups boiling water
2 pkg. (85 g each) JELL-O Lemon Jelly Powder
1 cup cold milk
1 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O Lemon Instant Pudding
3 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
Make It!

PLACE cake layers, top-sides up, in two clean 9-inch round cake pans. Pierce cakes with large fork at 1/2-inch intervals.

STIR boiling water into dry jelly powder in medium bowl at least 2 min. until completely dissolved. Carefully pour evenly over cake layers. Refrigerate 3 hours.

POUR milk into large bowl. Add dry pudding mix. Beat with whisk 2 min. or until well blended. Gently stir in whipped topping; set aside. Dip one cake pan in warm water 10 sec.; unmold onto serving plate. Spread with about 1 cup of the pudding mixture. Unmold second cake layer; carefully place on first cake layer. Frost top and side of cake with remaining pudding mixture. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Store leftover cake in refrigerator.

bluekrissyspikes
01-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Maybe you could change the lemon jello to cherry and use vanilla pudding

Luscious Lemon Poke Cake

What You Need!

2 baked round white cake layers (9 inch), cooled
2 cups boiling water
2 pkg. (85 g each) JELL-O Lemon Jelly Powder
1 cup cold milk
1 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O Lemon Instant Pudding
3 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
Make It!

PLACE cake layers, top-sides up, in two clean 9-inch round cake pans. Pierce cakes with large fork at 1/2-inch intervals.

STIR boiling water into dry jelly powder in medium bowl at least 2 min. until completely dissolved. Carefully pour evenly over cake layers. Refrigerate 3 hours.

POUR milk into large bowl. Add dry pudding mix. Beat with whisk 2 min. or until well blended. Gently stir in whipped topping; set aside. Dip one cake pan in warm water 10 sec.; unmold onto serving plate. Spread with about 1 cup of the pudding mixture. Unmold second cake layer; carefully place on first cake layer. Frost top and side of cake with remaining pudding mixture. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Store leftover cake in refrigerator.

i've had this before but it was chocolate raspberry. very yummy.