PDA

View Full Version : Being nosey and noticed some strange members?

Dragonfly
01-15-2010, 09:28 PM
No offence to the people it concerns if they are real users but I was being nosey and seeing who was on right now and somebody by the name MSNBot Spider and an AskJeeves spider or something along those lines were viewing forums. Is that normal? I am terrified of viruses/hackers and I know nothing about computers. Just a general concern I guess....

fenderbass
01-15-2010, 09:31 PM
It is normal....

Dragonfly
01-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Ok good :) Thanks!

mboy67
01-15-2010, 09:37 PM
yep and once I seen 12 different bots on gathering page info. When you goggle or yahoo or what ever search engine what comes up is what the bots have collected.

Dragonfly
01-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Oh yeah? Huh, thats neat. Thanks for the info! As I said, I know nothing about computers and hackers freak me right out. my eyes popped out of my head when I saw it haha. Thanks again!

Hans
01-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Those are spiders, automated search indexing services run by Google, Microsoft, and other legitimate search engines. .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler

Seraph
01-15-2010, 11:27 PM
And they do a good job.

Check this out

Go to Google and type Y7JKP098HGB3752 and this thread will be the only thing that comes up! (it's just a random sequence I typed but you can bet that since I just made that up this is the only page on the net with that exact sequence that google will come up with!)

Dragonfly
01-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Omg thats creepy. I didnt try it because I would rather be blind to the creepiness.

everywoman
01-16-2010, 12:57 AM
So what exactly does all of this mean?

NewCasa
01-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Spiders are the tools that google and other search engines use to go out onto the net and find the information they add to their searches. The way that Seraph's random number would show up on a google search is that the spider had gone out, read the number from this thread and then added it to the google search database. Then, when you type the number into the google search it taps it's own database, finds the number and presents the link in the results.

Seraph
01-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Spiders are the tools that google and other search engines use to go out onto the net and find the information they add to their searches. The way that Seraph's random number would show up on a google search is that the spider had gone out, read the number from this thread and then added it to the google search database. Then, when you type the number into the google search it taps it's own database, finds the number and presents the link in the results.

Exactly.
They are just like probes. They come here, say hey look they're talking about us, and then they post this thread in the google search engine so people can find it!

When people create a web page, without these probes no one would ever visit it and it would just be alone on the internet. But because these probes find everything and tell Google about it, everything you could ever want to look up is on the search engines because of spiders and web crawlers collecting data!