PDA

View Full Version : Im on a roll this year!

watchdog
01-16-2010, 06:02 PM
It's time for me to revive the "Ride Free die hard" topic. It seems that we MIGHT get a bike lane on Queen Street. Other than that, NOTHING. I HATE biking on the road, and everyone hates when people ride on the sidewalk because of pedestrians. So I ask myself, Why Haven't you done anything yet? Blogging on Soonews didn't work. Nothing happened. So........ I'm calling the City, and throwing myself into one of the commitee meetings. I hope I get what I worked so hard for-Transit reform- and Bike routes.

I'm on a roll for doing things. Oh, I don't chase trucks off the truck route anymore. So LAME!

DM46
01-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Oh god. Here we go again.

dancingqueen
01-16-2010, 06:11 PM
People should not be required to share the road with vehicles. You do no need to be licensed or insured to ride a bike, technically, you don't even have to know the rules of the road to bike, so you don't need to even know what different colored lights mean, or what a stop sign or yield sign means... Not safe... for anyone.

Dragonfly
01-16-2010, 09:08 PM
I agree that it is a good idea. I dont like when bikes barely miss me on the sidewalk or take up all the space on the road. I dont have the slightest clue how to implement chage or what change could work but its a neat idea to toss around. Good luck kiddo! I wouldnt be too hard on yourself if it doesnt work. MANY people have lobbied for change of different sorts and got the boot. I hope you dont get it but be prepared and dont get discouraged. At least your trying to make things better rather than smashing people's car windows in or beating up old people!

watchdog
01-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Trust me and you, if you seen the E-mail to the Transit manager, than you know I mean buisness. I won't post his response cause I know he'd be mad.. I want to know who might be in chare of possibly putting bike routes through.. I have some unfinished buisness.

01-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Just got off the phone with the 'transit manager'. All I have to say is BUAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

watchdog
01-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Groan. So my complaint isn't going to be taken seriously, huh? Isn't it their job which they get paid for, to listen to complaints and actually act?

HDV
01-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Just got off the phone with the 'transit manager'. All I have to say is BUAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Does the Transit managers name have the initials T.T

Strife
01-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Groan. So my complaint isn't going to be taken seriously, huh? Isn't it their job which they get paid for, to listen to complaints and actually act?

Its their job to listen to complaints but its not their job to act on the ones that are frivolous.

8th
01-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Groan. So my complaint isn't going to be taken seriously, huh? Isn't it their job which they get paid for, to listen to complaints and actually act? he wll probably take a restraining order out on you! LOL

IMHO
01-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Its only a matter of time until someone on a bike is killed on Queen Street East...especially as you get around the hospital area. There is just not enough space there.

Bluesky
01-17-2010, 12:46 PM
SSM has no bicycke lanes? That's lame.. You're in the dark ages.

Barry Morris
01-17-2010, 12:51 PM
..... Oh, I don't chase trucks off the truck route anymore. So LAME!

The bypass has a bike lane. The loud horn you hear right beside you while riding on the raod is me.

Barry Morris
01-17-2010, 12:52 PM
SSM has no bicycke lanes? That's lame.. You're in the dark ages.

Need decent roads first.

Other than those going by city councillors homes.

Anapeg
01-17-2010, 01:04 PM

This was the crux of my rant in your other thread. People you can access have little or nothing to do with maintenance, or purchasing. They have a job to occupy people such as yourself and let the real operations people do what they do without interruption. You can get to the grunts same as the rest of us. Those you need access to are above, way above that guy. Quite likely your exodus should have started with a government official in a transportation portfolio. You need the people with access to the purse not the ears.

01-17-2010, 01:55 PM
CM is the big cheese :)

IMHO
01-17-2010, 02:31 PM
I have alwys felt it would be SAFER for bicycle riders to ride FACING TRAFFIC. At least they could see what is coming and avoid the old hit from behind story.

Konig-OV
01-18-2010, 09:08 AM
I believe they should be on the sidewalk until there is a bike path or lane. Riders should get off the bike and walk it past and pedestrians. If they ride on the road, there is no garuntee someone is not going to hit them. If they ride on the sideway there is no garuntee that they are not going to hit someone. It's a catch 22. I do believe it is safer for them to ride on the sidewalk though. It may just be me, but I've heard of fewer accidents where a bike has hit a pedestrian than a car plowing into a biker. You also have to take into consideration road rules. Bikes impede traffic. Either you follow the rules of the road, or you don't. I've seen a bike in a turning, which they have eve right as of now, and when he turned he cut across 2 lanes of traffic to get back to the edge of the road, nearly got wiped out by a truck. Another instance, on McNabb st down by Rankin, a fellow was riding his bike in the motor lane, and traffic was backed way up to wait for this fellow (who was not wearing a helmet, nor reflective gear) to make a decision on what he was doing.

Hans
01-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Drive on the sidewalk. Where I am from that's where pedal bikes drive, and there's rarely an issue.

Konig-OV
01-18-2010, 11:30 AM
You will have the odd person who will not respect pedestrians, but overall, I think it is safer for everyone. Like I said, my biggest complaint was traffic impedence when it comes to bicyclists on the road.

Andre
01-18-2010, 11:55 AM
The big problem with riding on sidewalks isn't pedestrians, it's that people back out of their driveway without stopping until they get to the road to look.
That's where a lot of people on bikes get hit.

Konig-OV
01-18-2010, 12:54 PM
This is where it is up to the biker to scan the area, just as you are to in a vehicle, for possible dangers like that. If you are scanning ahead, you have plenty of time to make an educated assesment of potential danger. If I am riding my bicycle and I notice someone in a vehicle, in a driveway, I proceed with caution. If a driveway is hidden by a fence or shrubbery, then you should slow down anyway so you can see what is going on. Ignorance is no excuse for any accident. Everyone should have full knowledge of any vehicle they are operating, motor driven or not.

01-18-2010, 01:46 PM
I feel that there should be a compromise in that bicycles should be permitted on sidewalks on main arteries such as Queen St, Wellington, Trunk, McNabb, etc. and that they should be on the side of the road on side streets. This way they aren't in danger of being hit by a passing motorist on the busy streets and motorists have more time and space to pass a cyclist on the side streets.

01-18-2010, 01:47 PM
It's time for me to revive the "Ride Free die hard" topic. It seems that we MIGHT get a bike lane on Queen Street.
Damnit...thought you were starting a thread on motorcycles based on the "Ride Free die hard"

Barry Morris
01-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Damnit...thought you were starting a thread on motorcycles based on the "Ride Free die hard"

With the narrow streets in this burg, along with cyclists DEMANDING their rights, the phrase is quite apt.