PDA

View Full Version : So very frustrated wanting to cry.

Giggle Squirt
01-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Ok a little history first. MY first two kids the breast feeding lasted a whole month because i could not keep up production with their demands. With my last baby, being bound and determined to feed her strictly breast milk I begged with my doctor to give me a drug to help production right from the very start. She gave me domperidone which stimulates milk production and they use it in women who are adopting babies and want to bf them and women who have low milk supply. Well the first 2 months went great i was able to feed her enough and pump enough to keep her sustained. Well she is now just over 3 months old and I just can't keep up even with taking 90mg of domperidone a day I am still having to suplement about 4 oz total a day of formula becuse no amount of feeding mixed with pumping every 2 hours and the pills is upping my milk supply. I can't pump enough to store so if i send her to a sitters i can't send boob juice i need to send formula. I got a good madela pump in style pump. Does anyone have anything else to try to increase production? At this point i am willing to try anything. I am not getting the full feeling or the letdown feeling and when I do pump I am only getting a total of 2.5 oz. That is the ammount I was getting when she was a month old. :thumbs_down:

NewCasa
01-16-2010, 08:28 PM
NDP suggests beer, believe it or not. One a day. She says the yeast helps produce more milk. Also, express frequently to keep the milk flowing. Keep up good nutrition - makes a big difference, not only in quality and quantity.

For myself, I suggest thinking of cows - lots of cows. Oh and the Dom Perignone - well, not so sure about that - beer is probably better.

If you're into herbal stuff - fenugreek is supposed to help lots, plus they might have an herbal tea at the place on Brock street. And they say oatmeal is a good thing to add to your diet to increase milk production. Oh - and make sure you drink gallons of water.

But seriously - NDP knows stuff. But you knew that already.

mags
01-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Beer can help by relaxing you, drinking lots of water can too. It sounds like you may have gotten into a vicious cycle. You maybe to tense because of your past experiences and how things are going this time. Sometimes being anxious, tense inhibits milk production.
There used to be a lactation nurse at the General give them a call or call the health unit and see if there is any help there.

ArcticBlue
01-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Being that I don't have any children of my own, I did a bit of research on ways to increase breast milk production. I managed to stumble across a couple of interesting articles. Seems that almost anything I've read has made reference to Red Raspberry Leaf as one of the natural ways to increase supply. The other thing that is mentioned quite a bit is called Fenugreek and is generally ingested as a tea. Honorable mention also goes to alfalfa leaf, fennel seed, borage leaves, marshmallow and dill. Pretty much all of these things are natural as well, which can be considered a bonus!

Here are a few links to the articles that I skimmed through:

http://www.helium.com/items/15919-what-to-eat-to-increase-your-breast-milk-flow

http://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/article-pcos.aspx

http://www.ehow.com/how_2362347_use-fennel-increase-breast-milk.html

http://breastfeeding.suite101.com/article.cfm/increase_breastmilk_supply_with_lactogenic_foods

http://materiaaromatica.com/Default.aspx?go=Article&ArticleID=151

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/galact.asp

Tutones
01-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Just because you are only able to pump 2.5 ounces at a time does not mean that you are not producing enough milk. I was never able to pump more than that, even when I missed a feeding. My son breastfed happily for six months until I weaned him.

Giggle Squirt
01-16-2010, 09:20 PM
i have tried the raspberry and fenugreek and eat oatmeal. maybe i will take a list of the rest to the store. i saw a lactation consultant and she didnt say much.

mags
01-17-2010, 06:02 AM
Hope you can get breast feeding working for you. It must be frustrating, disappointed that the lactation nurse could help.

bluekrissyspikes
01-17-2010, 11:34 AM
why are you pumping? in my experience pumping decreases my milk supply. i try not to pump unless i have to. the baby sucking stimulates milk production much better than a pump can. other than that, what is your technic? i have 3 years of breast feeding experience and it's usually at around three months when the baby has a growth spurt and it always seems like there isn't enough milk because they keep trying to get more. even if it seems like none is coming out, some is so let her keep sucking for as long as you can on one side, even after it feels 'empty' and then switch to the other side until that feels totally empty. repeat if necessary. this will tell your body to increase production. it takes a few days for your body to catch up, it feels irritating and the baby might get cranky but it will work if you keep it up. drink lots of extra milk/water yourself during growth spurts to help your body keep up. they go through one every couple months and it's much more apparent when you breast feed cause it feels like they never detach from you...lol.. good luck. hope this helped

HDV
01-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Just because you are only able to pump 2.5 ounces at a time does not mean that you are not producing enough milk. I was never able to pump more than that, even when I missed a feeding. My son breastfed happily for six months until I weaned him.

When my wife was Bf our daughter she tried to pump and got very little, so she thought that her supply was low and the baby was not getting enough milk, when she talked to the babys doctor she said that it is not good to go by what you can pump. A pump pumps less milk then when they baby is feeding. Its different suction and stuff. I cant remember word for word but she said that as long as the baby is having regular wet diapers then she is getting enough and if she is gaining and not losing weight she is getting enough. Also when you Bf you have to give your baby vitamin D drops.
So I wold not go by what you can and can not pump.

Giggle Squirt
01-17-2010, 04:53 PM
There are also some concerns with the doctor, slight weight loss,less wet diapers, and when she is feeding she gets very upset because nothing is coming out and I cant even express anything. I was told by the lactation consultant to pump every 2 hours and after she feeds to make sure that my breasts were completly empty. Now she is starting to refuse the breast.

bluekrissyspikes
01-17-2010, 07:36 PM
ah, giggles, that's sad. have you looked into the la leche league? i'm pretty sure there is a local group that may be able to help you.

Giggle Squirt
01-17-2010, 08:28 PM
ya i have to take her to get weighed every few days now.

bluekrissyspikes
01-17-2010, 10:39 PM
well, that's no good. it kindof complicates things doesn't it? if that is the case maybe giving her both your milk and formula is the best thing. i think if i was in your shoes i'd try giving her the 'boobs' then once that was done top her up with an ounce or two of formula. keep trying. some breast milk is better than none. even if she is not exclusively breast fed she will still get the immunities and other benefits of the breastmilk as long as she gets some regularely. i wish i could help you. more suckling makes more milk so i'd try keeping her on there as much as possible as long as she is not fussing too much.

Jackie B
01-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Aw...that's so sad. My first daughter breastfed for 14 months, and the only reason she quit is because I was 3 months pregnant with #2 and my milk had turned back into colostrum. After that, with each consecutive child, they breastfed for less and less time. I think it was pretty much 9, 8, and 7 months for the others. I was going to say what the others said, you can't go by how much you can pump. I was never able to pump much, but the weight loss and lack of wet diapers is definitely problematic. I would recommend buying some Mother's Milk Tea from the Country Way, and upping your water intake greatly. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. It sure is sad when you have your heart set on something but your body and your child have other plans. :(

Giggle Squirt
01-18-2010, 12:29 AM
well, that's no good. it kindof complicates things doesn't it? if that is the case maybe giving her both your milk and formula is the best thing. i think if i was in your shoes i'd try giving her the 'boobs' then once that was done top her up with an ounce or two of formula. keep trying. some breast milk is better than none. even if she is not exclusively breast fed she will still get the immunities and other benefits of the breastmilk as long as she gets some regularely. i wish i could help you. more suckling makes more milk so i'd try keeping her on there as much as possible as long as she is not fussing too much.

I do feed her first then if needed i give her an ounce or so of formula. I am going to try the tea see if it helps. I drink alot of water already so I don't think that is the issue. I try to have her just nurse between feedings to stimulate but if there is no milk coming then she scrams bloody murder, bites then tries to push away. The hubby thinks this is quite funny. Oh well taking her to get weighed again tomorrow. Hopefully they have some ideas to help this.

bluekrissyspikes
01-18-2010, 02:18 PM
she scrams bloody murder, bites then tries to push away. The hubby thinks this is quite funny. Oh well taking her to get weighed again tomorrow. Hopefully they have some ideas to help this.

mine all did the biting thing too when they were going through their growth spurts and i have to agree it's not very funny at all. try saying 'no' loudly when she does it. yes, it will make her cry but even at that age they will still learn not to do that if they get the loud 'no' everytime. try to stick it out. the longer you do it, the easier it gets. if you can get to 6 months, you'll be a pro.

mags
01-19-2010, 05:36 AM
How was her weight? How are you doing is the breast feeding getting any easier?

Sweet Little Sister
01-19-2010, 11:02 AM
my oldest was too weak to take the breast when she was first born so she was bottle fed for the first few weeks.
i pumped for those weeks , so she got breast milk from the bottle.
we had a hard time trying to switch to breast once she was strong enough to take it because she was used to the bottle
what the nurse had me do was to tape a small tube along the side of my breast with the end of it at my nipple..other end of tube was in a bottle of breast milk.
it really helped her want to latch on and get that milk! ad it help with my milk production as well..got way more from feeding than pumping.
maybe if you tried that the baby would be getting the milk she wants and realize that those babies are far better than the bottle.

hope you find a solution thats good for all of you :) good luck