PDA

View Full Version : ADSB Selling computers

Cruel_Intentions
01-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows how to buy old computers from the ADSB. I know some people around the sault have been getting them, just wondering if they have an auction of some kind or what?

Amaranth
01-17-2010, 01:20 AM
They were giving them away this morning. An email was circulating at social services organizations earlier this week regarding it; we received it where I work.

Peety
01-17-2010, 11:14 AM
They should have sold them and put the money back into the new ones.

Tutones
01-17-2010, 11:28 AM
They should have sold them and put the money back into the new ones.

Many were sold earlier in the year to do just that. However there is no guarantee that any of these ones are in working condition.

In order to sell them the board would have to guarantee them in working order, which would have cost more money than the equipment was worth to sell. Giving them away allowed items to be repaired or recycled by others. Basically it was a move by the Board to avoid paying the electronic disposal fee.

Barry Morris
01-17-2010, 12:59 PM
I bought two computers that had been returned on lease to one of the big computer stores from ADSB.

Microage did this, as did ABC Computers.

Cruel_Intentions
01-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Not that I would think they have any left, but where do you go to get them if they are giving them away?

iluvchristian
01-17-2010, 03:45 PM
They did it Saturday. We picked up the dell ones. For those that picked them up and are having porblems with the drivers, see this post:

http://www.soonet.ca/showthread.php?37311-Regarding-free-computers-today-at-prince-charles-school

verotik66
01-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Many were sold earlier in the year to do just that. However there is no guarantee that any of these ones are in working condition.

In order to sell them the board would have to guarantee them in working order, which would have cost more money than the equipment was worth to sell. Giving them away allowed items to be repaired or recycled by others. Basically it was a move by the Board to avoid paying the electronic disposal fee.

I disposed of several hundred PCs for WSIB, with no guarantees that they work, putting a modest fee on each unit, kept the vultures from taking too many.

Andre
01-17-2010, 04:26 PM
So the guys that are selling them had to take the time to go over them and make sure they work, possibly fixing them.
Whats the big deal about charging a few bucks for that?

jeffster
01-17-2010, 05:55 PM
So the guys that are selling them had to take the time to go over them and make sure they work, possibly fixing them.
Whats the big deal about charging a few bucks for that?

thank you andre....i was able to get 4 of those dell systems...everyone of them was password protected when trying to get into windows
I took the time to format/reload all 4 of them, as well as supplying software, drivers, keyboards, mice etc etc
selling them for a meager $40 wasn't near worth the flack i received in numerous emails accusing me of being a "crook".
There was one person there (who currently has a post on sootoday) that i heard was able to walk out of there with 56 systems....that's a bit ridiculous
I guess exercising free enterprise and making a few bucks for my time automatically classifies me a crook. All four of the people that i sold these systems too were fully aware of the ADSB stickers on the towers...and had the option to walk away and not buy them
Some people just love to stir the pot

01-17-2010, 06:10 PM
I don't see any problem with it. A lot of these systems were not in working condition when they left. If you take the time to make them fully operational and sell them, there is no problem with that. Even at $40, it is the person who is buying it at $40 is a thief, as it is a steal! Where else can you get a fully operational computer for $40?

I can understand someone grabbing 56 systems, or anything more than 5 as being a glutton.

01-17-2010, 06:12 PM
To add I wish I knew about this, as I would have loved to get a couple of systems going. Are the ones complaining the ones who didn't get anything and is this why their is soreness?

Strife
01-18-2010, 12:15 AM
I wish I had known about this too. My fiance's hard drive just failed on her and her cd burner isnt doing well either. Rather than borrowing the items from a family member, I could have gotten the parts for free.

Asparas
01-18-2010, 09:26 AM
What sickened me about that whole ordeal is the amount of hording that went on. It was absolutely disgusting. I went there with my wife with the intention of getting two computers; one to upgrade some parts in my server and one to get built for my wife's cousin. After seeing people come out with stacks of laptops, LCD monitors, and P4 computers, I was only able to stay in line for a few minutes until I had to leave. I just couldn't stand being around all those greedy people. I knew that technically I would have been able to make away with 4 computers because my wife was there, but I decided against such an act simply because I knew there were probably people there who needed it more. I didn't even know they were giving away monitors and laptops either, but it didn't matter because I didn't need those anyway. I just simply wanted two computers for the reasons mentioned above.

However, those of you who horded, shame on you. I didn't need the computers that bad to stay there associating myself with all of you. When I say that, I don't include those who either needed the computers for whatever reason, or those who went there, got their limit and went home.

Are the ones complaining the ones who didn't get anything and is this why their is soreness?

Also just to add, as I mentioned I walked away, however, I got there early enough but I just couldn't make myself stay. Had you been there T-pot, you would have probably been disgusted at what you saw.

If I get flack for this so be it, I don't care, at least I wasn't one of them, hording for personal gain when others probably could have used it more.

Andre
01-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Ok I missed the part where jeffster said a guy walked out of there with 56 computers.
I thought people were only allowed a couple each.
That's different./

Peety
01-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Ok I missed the part where jeffster said a guy walked out of there with 56 computers.
I thought people were only allowed a couple each.
That's different./

I guess the guy with the 56 computer made a few trips.

jeffster
01-18-2010, 12:56 PM
The 2004 model Acer's were limited to 2 per person....they were 2.8ghz systems with 1 gig of ram...the dell's were basically a free for all...they weren't limiting them...at least they weren't when i was inside. I was 23rd in line....and i'm sure they had 300 people waiting. Regardless of the quantity of dells that they had, I fully agree with Asparas...there is absolutely no reason for ANYONE to walk out of there with 56 systems. I didn't take any of the acer systems because they were in limited quantities. Not that i feel the need to justify my actions, it's just that some people totally took advantage of the school boards generosity, while plenty of others did without

BFLPE
01-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Well, it's good to know ADSB is in such good financial shape they can give away perfectly good computers. Just goes to prove we're under taxed and the recession is long over.

Konig-OV
01-18-2010, 03:02 PM
The cost of upgrades and/or tossing the computers compares relatively close to buying new machines. With the fee for disposal, and the cost of new hardware adding to the cost to installation of the new hardware on hundreds of machines, it makes more sense to buy newer machines. I don't think it was an uneducated move to just toss them, I do believe they factored every angle into getting new machines.

BFLPE
01-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Hmm, I wonder what they are using them for then. A 2.8ghz system with 1 gig of ram doesn't seem that antiquated to me.

Konig-OV
01-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Those were just the Acer systems, which were very few in numbers in comparison to the Dells.