PDA

View Full Version : SLR Camera?

Evil Monkey
01-26-2010, 08:47 AM
My wife is an avid photographer, not a professional though, and loves taking pictures. Her birthday is coming up and I want to buy her a digital SLR camera. Any suggestions on what brand, model etc to buy without spending $1000. I am willing to spend no more then $800 but am looking for a mid range camera that is of good quality. Any suggestions?

NewCasa
01-26-2010, 09:02 AM
My wife is an avid photographer, not a professional though, and loves taking pictures. Her birthday is coming up and I want to buy her a digital SLR camera. Any suggestions on what brand, model etc to buy without spending $1000. I am willing to spend no more then $800 but am looking for a mid range camera that is of good quality. Any suggestions?

Basically, you're looking at the following features:

- Maximum shutter speed should be at least 2000, but the higher the better
- It should have a 'bulb' setting on the shutter speed as well (that's basically a manual release so the shutter will stay open as long as you wish)
- High megapixel files - 12mp would be about the lowest I'd get
- Flash shoe
- Ability to trigger the shutter remotely
- Check the size of the CCD - the larger the better

My personal favourite is Canon, however Pentax and Minolta make great cameras too. Those are the traditional manufacturers. I haven't mentioned Nikon because I feel they are way overpriced for the value. Basically, they're the same quality as the rest, but you're paying for the name. One thing to consider is that Pentax are usually smaller and lighter. If your wife is fairly petite that might be a selling feature.

Most of the cameras come with a standard short zoom. If you can switch out that lens for another do so. If she prefers landscapes and family get-togethers she'll want a wide angle (28mm equivalent @135mm film). If she prefers sports and wildlife, etc. she'll want a telephoto (anywhere up to 300mm equivalent @35mm film). In either case a zoom will be much better.

Personally, as long as the basics are met with the camera I would always put the real money into the lens.

Evil Monkey
01-26-2010, 09:05 AM
What do you think of this one NoCasa?

http://visions.ca/Catalogue/Category/Details.aspx?categoryId=231&productId=5001 or this http://visions.ca/Catalogue/Category/Details.aspx?categoryId=231&productId=4615

Which one do you think is the better of the two?

NewCasa
01-26-2010, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't buy a Sony SLR.

Evil Monkey
01-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Is that Canon one any good or should I be looking at another Canon model?

NewCasa
01-26-2010, 09:35 AM
That's a good choice but if your willing to go up to $800 I'd say the T1i is a much better one. It's a new model, while the XSi has been around for a while. The T is a 15mp camera while the X is 12mp. I'd say the T is worth the extra bucks.

verotik66
01-26-2010, 11:20 AM
I think your wife would be pretty happy with the canon package.

When you start down a brand road, you are going to limit yourself on what lenses to purchase, Nikon won't fit on Canon etc...

Get her the kit with lens, get an extra battery, and a nice big memory card, i use 32gb cards, but 8gb is pretty cheap and will do her fine.

I purchase most of my gear at vistek.ca, you can also check henrys.ca

verotik66
01-26-2010, 11:34 AM
I think you will find you will be looking between these three camera setups, the Nikon and Canon both feature a movie mode in addition to the other features.

Nikon D5000 Kit with AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR DX LensKit
Compact and powerful blend of simplicity & advanced 12.3mp DSLR performance. Features a flexible, Vari-angle, Live View monitor, HD movie mode & still-image shooting at up to 4 fps. Includes AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR Lens. In Stock - ships in 1 to 2 business days Free Shipping Available

Webcode: 243490
Mfr item: 65055
$799.95 SAVE $50.00

Canon EOS Digital Rebel T1i w/18-55mm IS
Features 15.1 MPl Canon CMOS sensor, DIGIC 4 Image Processor, 3" Clear View LCD, compatibility with the EOS System of lenses and Speedlites, the EOS Rebel T1i adds remarkable Full HD video capture at resolutions up to 1920 x 1080. In Stock - ships in 1 to 2 business days Free Shipping Available
Webcode: 243098
Mfr item: 3818B005
$869.95 SAVE $30.00

Sony Alpha DSLRA500L with 18-55mm Lens
Sony's A500 a™ Digital SLR Camera with DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Lens featuring 12.3 MP CCD, Exmor CMOS Sensor, Quick AF Live View, 5 Frames Per Second and integrated SteadyShot™ Free Shipping Available
Webcode: 245847
Mfr item: DSLRA500L
$849.95 SAVE $50.00

Evil Monkey
01-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I will let you know what I decide to go with.

icecapp
01-26-2010, 03:31 PM
I myself just got a nikon d3000, it is a bottom line nikkon, 10.2 megapixel, I chose this over the d5000 as I wear glasses and for the extra 250 dollars to see the pic on the lcd screen while I was taking it was not benifical to me, as if IM taking a good pic I want the camera to my eye, My camara come with the 18-55 mm lense, but am looking at up grading in the near near future, also the d3000 does not take video but to me IfI want video Ill use my point and shoot so again it the d3000 weight out the option of the 5000 for that, also d5000 has 12 mega pixel, but to me, I know I will never blow a pic up any bigger then 11x14 so it was not a necesity for me... MY D3000 has me won over
I had a choice of what I wanted, and thats what I chose, at a meir 600 for everything, I have now purchased some add on lense what not off ebay.

Like I said it is a entry level for slrs but if you do the reviews on it, its also much more then that, I am taking the photograpy class right now at the college, and my camera does just as much as the others in the class whos camera are worth double.. right out of the teachers mouth

I love it and it takes great pics and has more then enough settings for me............. to keep me happy untill I become a pro lmao

KARM
01-26-2010, 04:53 PM
I think it's great that you want to surprise her but so much of shooting a good camera is how it feels in your hands. No matter how good the camera is, if it doesn't feel right in your hands then you won't get the full enjoyment. I would personally take her to Camera Craft or Future Shop and let her try them all out to see what feels best. Most of the cameras in your price range have all the same features and even the same zoom range. An 18-55mm lens is standard for the entry level Nikon, Canon and Pentax cameras to name a few.

verotik66
01-26-2010, 10:43 PM
A very good point KARM, my wife prefers a smaller SLR than my NIKONs, she finds the d200, d3 types to be too big for her hands and not comfortable to use, on that note you might want to take a look at the 4/3 sized dslrs:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Red Micro Four-Thirds DSLR w/ 14-45 Lens
Red Lumix G™ Micro System Digital Interchangeable Lens Camera with Micro Four Thirds Standard, Full-time Live View, Intelligent Auto Mode and features a light-weight & compact design. Free Shipping Available
Demos from $699.95
Compare
Webcode: 240405
Mfr item: DMCG1KR
$799.95
More Info Add to Cart

maybe take her out shopping at future shop and get her to handle some of the models there, you can pop a few questions and still really suprise her about getting a camera

Evil Monkey
01-27-2010, 09:32 AM
I ended up buying the Canon T1i 15.1 MP. I ended up buying at Future shop because they had it for $799 and I found it online for $729. So I only paid it with their price match plus 10% thing $722 plus tax.

NewCasa
01-27-2010, 10:05 AM
I ended up buying the Canon T1i 15.1 MP. I ended up buying at Future shop because they had it for $799 and I found it online for $729. So I only paid it with their price match plus 10% thing $722 plus tax.

That's the one I would've chosen too. Good choice. Only thing is, if she finds she'd rather have something smaller and lighter, a Pentax may fit the bill. I've haven't checked out Panasonic and Sony very closely lately, but I'm pretty sure Canon and Pentax will have much more range in terms of other equipment available, such as lenses, flash, etc.

Paully
01-30-2010, 09:57 PM
There is much more lens availability at the moment for Canon and Nikon so going with Canon will give you some benefit there. I unfortunately had a bad T1i out of the box after upgrading from the XSI that is poor craftsmanship. I sold ALL my gear lenses, filters, flashes and other accessories for the canon and went to Nikon, a hard and pricey decision to make. Right out of the box the quality could be felt overall and the pictures are outstanding. I use a D90 and now upgrading to the full frame D700 in the near future, overall personally I have used both canon and nikon now and find canon lenses to render softer looking images whereas Nikons tent to be sharper, another nikon feature I like is that they offer Active D-lighting (makes blacks more defined in bright light instead of blacking everything out). all cameras are good if treated well and for most cases its a matter of personal opinion. The Pentax are good, solidly built and most of all offer the best weather sealing SLR camera on the market. the lack of lenses are what made me shy away there.

Evil Monkey
02-09-2010, 08:38 AM
I gave it to her yesterday and she loves it. The pic quality is also unbelievable. I will post some pics that we take with it from our vacation when I get back.

KARM
02-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Don't you love technology? Last week you bought the T1i and this week Canon announced the T2i to replace it with all sorts of improvements at the same price :D

It's still a great starter camera, though so I wouldn't worry about it. There's no way to keep up with technology.

verotik66
03-08-2010, 10:31 PM
CANON REBEL T2I W/18-55 EF-S IS

Webcode: 567CAN073

* 18.0 MP Digital SLR Camera
* w/ EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Zoom
* Advanced HD Movie mode

Be the first to rate it
Usually ships in 4-5 business days.

Price: $999.99

Add To Cart