PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Caruso

hommer
01-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Does anyone know if he has a website and if anyone on here goes to him , what info you can give.
Thanks

Evil Monkey
01-27-2010, 09:03 PM
I went and it is just an endless money pit.You get results then as soon as you stray a bit you become more obese than you were before you started with him.

HDV
01-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Does anyone know if he has a website and if anyone on here goes to him , what info you can give.
Thanks

Mu aunt went to him lost 120 pounds and has still kept the weight off and is not on a diet anymore. So its not true that if you stray you will get even fatter. Shes kept if off for about a year and a half, and shes looks good. It is a lot of money, and is really a last resort. Try good life gym and a diet? We just joined and it is 40 a month per person and no sign up fee. They have a special going on right now. As long as you keep active and eat right you should not have a issue, But for some people it is hard to loose weight. No matter what they do and that s when you need to seek professional help.

MaO3
01-28-2010, 10:11 AM
I went and it is just an endless money pit.You get results then as soon as you stray a bit you become more obese than you were before you started with him.

I know three people who went to him, lost 25 to 30 lbs each and all three as soon as they stopped the VERY rigid diet and started eating like a normal person, put it all back on and MORE.

HDV
01-28-2010, 11:10 AM
well if you don't exercise and eat right of course your going to gain weight, whether or not you were with Dr Caruso or not. Its just common sense. I do know that she kept off the 120 pounds she lost through him and she walks and eats right everyday. She eats healthy and she does a hour walk per day. Guess some people can keep it off and some cant.

I myself would not pay a doctor to help loose weight. I believe people can do it on their own if they try hard enough.

Xzavia
01-28-2010, 11:28 AM
My Mom went to him, she lost over 150 pounds with his help, as well as following her diet and joing up with an exercise club. She joined Achive Fitness and loved it. She looked and felt great, and she had my Dad's 100% support to help her keep it off. After my Dad passed away over 2 years ago she found it hard once she lost her main support.She stopped going to him. She gained some back, not all of it. And she's finding it really hard now to try and lose it on her own.

Yes he's costly, but if you can stick with it it can work for you if you are willing to completely change your eating habits and getting regular daily exercise if you don't already.

Good-Luck!

MaO3
01-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Two of my friends who went eat very sensibly and walk daily, one gained back most of what she lost, the other gained it all back. I think the problem with his diet is that it is TOO restrictive. Its not a lifestyle its a diet, and diets dont' work. Changing your lifestyle is the only way to loose weight and keep it off.
Of course the older you are the more difficult it is to take weight off and keep it off.

Evil Monkey
01-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Mu aunt went to him lost 120 pounds and has still kept the weight off and is not on a diet anymore. So its not true that if you stray you will get even fatter. Shes kept if off for about a year and a half, and shes looks good. It is a lot of money, and is really a last resort. Try good life gym and a diet? We just joined and it is 40 a month per person and no sign up fee. They have a special going on right now. As long as you keep active and eat right you should not have a issue, But for some people it is hard to loose weight. No matter what they do and that s when you need to seek professional help.

Are you speaking from personal experience here because I am. If you don't know what you are talking about as in you went through it yourself then don't respond. The 1st post said anyone on here go not someone you know who knows someone who knows someone else. I speak from personal experience when I posted my response so don't be calling me a liar!

hommer
01-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your replys,good to hear the good and the bad lol

HDV
01-29-2010, 11:34 AM
yes im speaking from personal experience. I communicate with my aunt about 2 times a day..lol.. and she kept the weight off. I do know what im talking about. When i said not EVERYONE who goes to him gains back all the weight plus more i meant it. Sorry if that makes you think it makes you look like a liar. I never called you a liar, i just said that not everyone gains all the weight back plus more. Sorry if you did and it did not work for you, some it works for some it does not. Everyone is different. And i can reply to any post i darn well please. You can t tell me what I can and can not reply to. Its a public board and like you day all the time, I have every right to comment. You get so defensive when someone proves you wrong and you get all upset, but its ok for you to do it to everyone all the time. im not here to argue with you or try to nit pick all your comments. I have better things to do. Also the 1st post said ANY info you can give. So i gave the info i had :) Sorry if that offends you.

So anyways Hommer, this is a decision you have to make and some it will work for and obviously some it will not. Good luck to you either way. It is hard to loose weight thats for sure. But if you stick to a plan and keep exercising and easting right you can do it :)

Xzavia
01-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Hommer...if you do go to him just be careful if and when you stop, that seems to be when most people have the difficulty keeping the weight off. Have a good support system in place helps too, from what my Mom told me she was shopping more often to get fresh produce and stuff for her diet.

Found some links you might check out too.

http://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/50588/ON/Sault-Ste.-Marie/Caruso

http://www.sault-canada.com/ecssm/index.aspx?l=0,2,33,65,142

He has a group on Facebook as well but it must be relatively new as there isn't really anything added to it yet.

IMHO
02-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Of course you will lose weight with the CARUSO PLAN.....he gives you a pittance to eat and you better love greens. I tried it and got so sick of the food i stopped donating money. I now create my own meal plans and enjoy my food and loose albeit very slowlt...but...I get to keep my money.

Krysta
02-05-2010, 02:35 AM
He isn't a miracle worker that with the wave of a wand your thin and stay thin.
It's a life style change.
Once you quit going to him you still have to eat healthy and exercise otherwise your guaranteed to gain the weight.
Most people though, who have food addicitions still diet to lose the weight but once off over eat the bad stuff to compensate for time on the diet leading to a rapid increase of the weight.
A life change is for life and something you need to work at daily otherwise you won't have lasting results.
Dr Caruso is good as he helps you start in the right direction and feel great about your self. It is expensive but worth it .
Fromhis strict plan you can branch out to add what works for you but helping you weight and calculate healthy portions of it.

lotsagifts
02-24-2011, 02:20 PM
What kind of diet does it include? Is it just calorie counting or is it complete refusal to eat things like carbs?

MagicFingers
02-24-2011, 07:46 PM
I find Dr caruso's diet is extreme and people who think that gastric bypass is extreme I think the caruso diet is even more extreme this is why.

With gastric bypass your stomach is smaller, you feel full even though you have eaten very little, with the physical change of how your food is processed you feel satiated and full faster and the chemical recepters to your brain are triggered easier. it also provides a built in behavior modification system where by you eat something you shouldn't and you are going to be very very ill, if you over eat you will be very very ill so much to the point that you simply won't want the food. So because chemicals being released to your brain says you are full, you are physically full much faster it is easier to be on a very small calorie intake and still be satiated, 90% of gastric bypass patients keep 80% of their excess weight off for 5 or more years. This is what is considered successful. As for Caruso's diet it is an unrealistic diet that does not offer behaviour modification you do it on your own and it is not easy going from per say a 2500 cal diet to a 500 cal diet and feel full or satiated. I know my mom was on the diet and couldn't eat many of the fruits, or veggies that she is used to eating, couldn't hardly eat bread and only a limited amount of milk. She got ill and had to come off the diet, I know several people who either got ill while on the diet or when they came off the diet they gained the weight plus more back. Not saying that these people binged or ate completely abnormal but when you go from a 500 cal diet to even a 1500 cal diet which can be considered normal it is expected that you would gain. Besides our bodies fight to be where they are used to being so if your body has been at say a 300 lb weight it will try to get there which is why large people have a harder time losing say the 25 pounds that a smaller person has an easier time losing.

We all have to remember that everyone's body and metabolism is different and despite how you lose weight losing weight is hard, and if you have lost even one pound than pat yourself on the back. Anyone who makes the comments "I believe people can do it on their own if they try hard enough" have not truly struggled with weight and don't fully understand how the body works. Anyone who has lost weight has done it on their OWN it doesn't matter what extent they took or what road they went down they still had to travel down that road. And if they have not lost weight or have struggled to keep it off it doesn't mean that they have not tried hard or hard enough it just means they have not gotten to their destination yet.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
02-24-2011, 09:02 PM
There is no way on earth that this diet is extreme in no way, shape or form. If you want to talk about an extreme diet let's talk about the Atkin's diet. The diet consists of some carbs and you can have a limited amount of protein,which is sufficient and fruit and vegetables.. The maintenance diet does not necessarily allow you to gain weight because you have to remember that the increased amount of calories (which are not recorded) are dispersed among certain foods. Its not as if I decide to have a thousand extra calories which would consist of fries and a burger every day, then I can understand the weight gain. The diet may not be for everyone but its not a far stretch from the diet listed in the Canada Food Guide. He gives you the tools to succeed and if you choose to stray from his plan then so be it the consequences will be obvious.

Edited to add that of course the diet may seem extreme to those that are used to eating thousands of calories a day before going on a diet....

gouligann
04-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Any diet or lifestyle change for weight loss is good as long as you stick to it and it's healthy for you. It is if/when you fall off the wagon that makes the weight go back on. No one can blame the diet or dietician. No one is shoving those extra calories down your throat lol.

I have said to friends that science probably has a "miracle" pill that we could take and not gain weight, but the pharmacies, scientists, weight loss clinics, fat farms, weight loss gimmics, etc ALL make BILLIONS of dollars each year off us.

Luv'inLife
04-24-2011, 08:58 AM
I find Dr caruso's diet is extreme and people who think that gastric bypass is extreme I think the caruso diet is even more extreme this is why.

With gastric bypass your stomach is smaller, you feel full even though you have eaten very little, with the physical change of how your food is processed you feel satiated and full faster and the chemical recepters to your brain are triggered easier. it also provides a built in behavior modification system where by you eat something you shouldn't and you are going to be very very ill, if you over eat you will be very very ill so much to the point that you simply won't want the food. So because chemicals being released to your brain says you are full, you are physically full much faster it is easier to be on a very small calorie intake and still be satiated, 90% of gastric bypass patients keep 80% of their excess weight off for 5 or more years. This is what is considered successful. As for Caruso's diet it is an unrealistic diet that does not offer behaviour modification you do it on your own and it is not easy going from per say a 2500 cal diet to a 500 cal diet and feel full or satiated. I know my mom was on the diet and couldn't eat many of the fruits, or veggies that she is used to eating, couldn't hardly eat bread and only a limited amount of milk. She got ill and had to come off the diet, I know several people who either got ill while on the diet or when they came off the diet they gained the weight plus more back. Not saying that these people binged or ate completely abnormal but when you go from a 500 cal diet to even a 1500 cal diet which can be considered normal it is expected that you would gain. Besides our bodies fight to be where they are used to being so if your body has been at say a 300 lb weight it will try to get there which is why large people have a harder time losing say the 25 pounds that a smaller person has an easier time losing.

We all have to remember that everyone's body and metabolism is different and despite how you lose weight losing weight is hard, and if you have lost even one pound than pat yourself on the back. Anyone who makes the comments "I believe people can do it on their own if they try hard enough" have not truly struggled with weight and don't fully understand how the body works. Anyone who has lost weight has done it on their OWN it doesn't matter what extent they took or what road they went down they still had to travel down that road. And if they have not lost weight or have struggled to keep it off it doesn't mean that they have not tried hard or hard enough it just means they have not gotten to their destination yet.

gastric bypass is a surgery...Dr Caruso's plan is non invasive
I know of 2 people personally that had that surgery and were so sick after and weak and within 2 years started to gain weight until they went back on their plan of diet and exercise given to them by the dietician before surgery, nothing in life is guarantee'd unless you are willing to work at it.

ssmarie
04-24-2011, 07:10 PM
His diet is very very similar to the Dr. Berstein diet and everyone I know has gained their weight back and trying to lose it again on their own as he is expensive. Some of the cost is covered by work benefits if you are fortunate enough to have it covered

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
04-24-2011, 08:49 PM
If you are gaining it back its because you arent on the maintenance diet. We have to remember why these people ended up at his office in the first place and that's because of their repeated bad habits...

Luv'inLife
04-24-2011, 09:31 PM
If you are gaining it back its because you arent on the maintenance diet. We have to remember why these people ended up at his office in the first place and that's because of their repeated bad habits...

exactly, there is no miracle cure for obesity, even gastric bypass patients have a diet to follow or they will re-gain the weight.

MagicFingers
04-25-2011, 10:35 AM
gastric bypass is a surgery...Dr Caruso's plan is non invasive
I know of 2 people personally that had that surgery and were so sick after and weak and within 2 years started to gain weight until they went back on their plan of diet and exercise given to them by the dietician before surgery, nothing in life is guarantee'd unless you are willing to work at it.

Nothing in life is guaranteed except death and taxes. The being sick and weak after surgery is not normal and not common, again it has more to do with the surgeon and what he has done and what you are eating that will make you sick and weak. After surgery and after losing the weight is it possible to gain the weight back, of course, you might not sit and eat a huge plate of pasta but if you graze all day you will consume the same amount of calories as someone who ate the huge plate of pasta. Although your body can not absorb all those calories depending on the type of surgery you had it is still possible to slowly gain some of the weight back. But the point being with the surgery or I shoudl say with the type of surgery RNY to be specific there is a physical change in your body that provides a behaviour modification where you will not eat high sugars/fatty foods without being violently sick, in most cases the person will stay away from those food choices. Carusos diet has no such thing so where there pros for the surgery there are no such pros for the caruso diet. On that diet you either choose to do it or you don't, after the surgery you basically have no choice without feeling like you want to die.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
04-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Its not a magic potion it's a framework for success. If you don't have the will power to follow it you will fail and if you fail you can't blame it on the diet if you don't follow it. Common sense logic prevails here, If you are prescribed drugs to assist with a certain ailment lets say and you don't take them you can't exactly blame it on the drugs lol

MagicFingers
04-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Your right in the fact that there is nothing that is a magic potion. Everything is just a framework for success. However it isn't always about will power. Weight loss is not all common sense otherwise it would be much easier to loose the weight than it is. There is a science behind it and there is not one weight loss method out there that works for everyone. That is the point to all this. Some diets work for some and not others, where other diets work for some and not others as well. The point I am making is that "I" think and truley believe that overall Dr Caruso's diet is not a good one, and that there are other weight loss alternatives that are much better than this option.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
04-28-2011, 03:28 PM
The diet he presents may not work for everyone, just like certain meds don't work for certain people's ailments. As for it not being good well I beg to differ. The Atkins diet is far worse, so to speak.........

A*lil*Loopy
04-28-2011, 05:00 PM
I tried going to Caruso. His system couldn't work for me. I was unable to stop eating by 6pm because of my work schedule and he found that unacceptable.
I had to go off of my medication (prednisone) for me to lose any weight. I got severe bruising from the B12 injections (because of my medication possibly?).
The diet wasn't too bad except for it seemed that it was similar to the Canada Food guide but drastically reduced. My memory screams of only lettuce greens that I got incredibly tired of. Every time I went in I had to buy more "vitamins" from them and I only ever saw Kevin Caruso once! I saw him the first visit where he talked with me but not about my medical condition/medications that may impede any other treatments. All visits afterwards were with a woman who did the injections.

I'm not going to slam his program but I will say that I felt as though I was only donating and he couldn't comprehend someone who had to alter their eating schedule to fit their work schedule. If I worked nights I wouldn't have been allowed to eat at all.

Now let me state that I didn't lose more than 20 lbs. I didn't feel at all like there was any support and I felt like they thought I was a binge eater or someone who ate an enormous amount which was not the case.

Would I go back...........not a chance. Would I recommend going to an enjoyable exercise place, hell yes. Go where there is support and you look forward to going, having support and positive feedback is an amazing tool.

MagicFingers
04-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Loopy you are sooooo very correct. Hope you find a place if you haven't already. Weight loss is a difficult thing for anyone and no matter how much or how little you have to lose pat yourself on the back each pound you lose. Each pound is one more pound closer to freedom. With my prgnancy and the year following I gained 30 pounds, some poor food choices but some of it is a medical condition. I am currently trying to get pregnant again and this will be our last baby, after that back on the wagon to get back to my goal weight. I did it once I will get there again, only this time I am much closer to it already. 5 years ago I lost nearly 200 pounds I gained 30 of it back that isn't bad, kept 170lbs off since 2006. The past two months I must have lost about 10 pounds, since doing daycare and not having time to eat and staying busy all day my pants fall off so I must have lost some and my jeans come off without undoing them YEAH ME.

lynys
04-29-2011, 12:20 PM
The diet he presents may not work for everyone, just like certain meds don't work for certain people's ailments. As for it not being good well I beg to differ. The Atkins diet is far worse, so to speak.........

Why?

Atkins has been proven to lower blood pressure and cholesterol. It completely removes refined carbohydrates and sugars from your diet, and pushes fresh fruits and vegetables onto the person following it.

I very highly recommend it. Never felt better in fact. If not for my pregnancy, and the need for those extra carbohydrates for my baby's sake, I would still be following the maintenance portion.

MagicFingers
04-29-2011, 12:30 PM
I personally don't believe in the Atkins diet in the strict sense but I do know that it has worked for some and thats great. I do believe in removing refined sugars and believe that our bodies do need an amount of carbs to be able to function properly, but do believe that it is great when you can remove the unhealthy carbs from your diet. Carbs in the form of fruits and veggies I believe is good.

lynys
04-29-2011, 03:52 PM
And that is exactly what Atkin's is. It doesn't completely remove carbs. They are abundant in fruits and veggies. It does remove sugary foods, starchy foods and carbs like white flour.

MagicFingers
04-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Lynys....I know someone who followed a strict atkins diet made them severely sick and by strict I mean didn't eat anything but strawberries for fruit because that is virtually the only fruit they could eat, the others had too much sugar in them, the veggies, would be lettuce, celery and broccoli apparently the others had sugar in it and they ate all MEAT and cheese. That to me is an extreme Atkins diet and not healthy. but agree with what you said, I have in the past remvoed all refined sugars, I did feel better but I didn't lose the weight like others said I would. And no I didn't eat more of anything else. This is still after I had my gastric bypass and lost 170 pounds and I was trying to kick start my body into losing again, it didn't really work for me but then again I couldn't and stil can't eat high sugary foods, breads pastas and rice I don't tolerate well either.

lynys
04-29-2011, 11:31 PM
Then, they didn't follow Atkin's correctly. Trust me. You can eat more than strawberries, lettuce, broccoli, etc.

Add to that the fact that you can eat meats, eggs, cheese, dressings, nuts, etc. The only things that are cut out are flours (refined wheat flour) and sugars.

I followed Atkins for a while, and only stopped because the midwife told me I needed to make sure my baby receives enough carbohydrates for fetal brain development. Once she is born, I will be resuming immediately. I found it to actually give me more energy, made me feel much better, and less ill.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
04-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Why?

Atkins has been proven to lower blood pressure and cholesterol. It completely removes refined carbohydrates and sugars from your diet, and pushes fresh fruits and vegetables onto the person following it.

I very highly recommend it. Never felt better in fact. If not for my pregnancy, and the need for those extra carbohydrates for my baby's sake, I would still be following the maintenance portion.

I didnt say it doesnt work but it starves the body of the carbs it really wants. Most of the time you crave carbs to the point where it drives you crazy. As for the maintenance part of Atkins its not so extreme as like in the beginning where it is recommended you stay away from all fruit. At least the diet Caruso presents has a little bit of carbs to keep you from going crazy. I am sure that most doctors would recommend a diet that follows closer to the Canada Food guide or whatever its called than denying the body carbs. I could be wrong but who knows lol

lynys
04-30-2011, 11:08 AM
LOL! You are still getting carbs and it really doesn't make you insane. Basically the idea is to convert your body from burning carbs, into burning fat. And, this happens very quickly.

The most "sickness" one would feel is a slight headache about two days in because the body is changing it's way of thinking. After that, you feel absolutely amazing.

The only reason they have you cut out fruits in the beginning is because people are addicted to carbohydrates and sugars. Plain and simple. In order to fend off any addiction, you need to cut out sugar. So, cutting out natural sugars will make sure you do not relapse. They are re-added and you can eat fruits other than strawberries. Blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe, honeydew are also good fruits to include. Things like apples or bananas you should add during maintenance because they are much higher in carbohydrates and will eat up most of your carb total for the day.

For me, Atkins was less about weight loss ands more about eating less crap. It doesn't mean you can never eat a sandwich again, or a plate of pasta, or chocolate. I did. It was about learning to eat more "natural" foods and less processed junk. There's nothing better than enjoying a delicious grilled burger smothered in cheese, sans bun. Add a nice salad to the side, and you've got an awesome meal! :D

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
04-30-2011, 03:00 PM
LOL! You are still getting carbs and it really doesn't make you insane. Basically the idea is to convert your body from burning carbs, into burning fat. And, this happens very quickly.

The most "sickness" one would feel is a slight headache about two days in because the body is changing it's way of thinking. After that, you feel absolutely amazing.

The only reason they have you cut out fruits in the beginning is because people are addicted to carbohydrates and sugars. Plain and simple. In order to fend off any addiction, you need to cut out sugar. So, cutting out natural sugars will make sure you do not relapse. They are re-added and you can eat fruits other than strawberries. Blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe, honeydew are also good fruits to include. Things like apples or bananas you should add during maintenance because they are much higher in carbohydrates and will eat up most of your carb total for the day.

For me, Atkins was less about weight loss ands more about eating less crap. It doesn't mean you can never eat a sandwich again, or a plate of pasta, or chocolate. I did. It was about learning to eat more "natural" foods and less processed junk. There's nothing better than enjoying a delicious grilled burger smothered in cheese, sans bun. Add a nice salad to the side, and you've got an awesome meal! :D

I am already insane enough so I don't need carb withdrawal insanity. Besides, my doctor told me specifically to stay away from the Atkins diet and focus on the one that I eventually went on.....