PDA

View Full Version : vga to hdmi, ?????

icecapp
01-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Ok My mom has a samsun 540 tv and she would like to hook her laptop up but with the laptop she only has a vga plug, not a dvi plug like on the main computer,

she would like to use a stereo mini plug/2rca cable, but when I plug in the vga to vga, she gets no sound unless she uses the pc audio cable.. like earphone to earphone..

so my ? is if I use the vga to hdmi, and imput the hdmi, as the computer and plug in teh stero mini plug into the rca jacks, will she get sound from the DVI

being Im using a hdmi/vga verses the hdmi/dvi as the laptop has not dvi output jack.. Hope this makes sense

I tried to find a pic of the back of the tv, if I find a pic I will post...

Ultra54
01-30-2010, 03:40 PM
I use a dvi to hdmi for video and plug the stereo minifrom the soundcard into an rca adapter into my surround and it works perfectly.

icecapp
01-30-2010, 10:15 PM
thats the problem, no surround sound, only speakers on tv... she does not like surround sound

Scabtacular
01-31-2010, 05:58 PM
I think I see the dilemma.....

you only have ONE SOURCE for both video and audio.....THE TV!!

Yes, you can get your mom's laptop vga video out, and yes you can get the audio out, HOWEVER, trying to get BOTH out on the same tv! Sounds like quite a pickle!

I would use headphone 8th inch jack to RCA red and white cable for audio and VGA to the remaining YELLOW RCA for video

Go to Clockwork and talk to Joe for the adapter, but bottom line is... YOUR GOING TO HAVE 2 CABLES COMING OUT OF THE LAPTOP (Video,Audio) INTO ONE TV!!

Ultra54
02-01-2010, 09:29 AM
The tv doesn't have an HDMI input? I'm not aware of any pc that can use the same hdmi cable for video and audio. Really the only advantage of hdmi is that video and audio are both on the one cable. Is there such a thing as a vga to rca yellow vid input?

icecapp
02-01-2010, 12:23 PM
The tv has 3 hdmi imputs

I am going to have to take a pic of the back of the tv..

My ? is can I use a HDMI/VGA instead of A DVI/HDMI.. more aless I am switching the dvi/ for the VGA cause the laptop does not have DVI jack.

the rca is a headphone/one white one red. Hdmi would be used to transport the video I would assume.

ByrdDawg
02-01-2010, 02:52 PM
There must be a vga input on the back panel of that tv. They all seem to have them these days.

Go vga out from laptop to vga in on the tv and run the audio out on the laptop to the audio in on the tv.

It works on mine.

icecapp
02-01-2010, 07:47 PM
there sure is . but the problem is the SOUND sucks.. thats why I would Like to run, the earphone to the earphone/rca(white and red)but can only use this cable If I use a dvi plug at the tv, and vga at teh laptop. or the manual is suggesting a hdmi... as its all in block.

ByrdDawg
02-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Isn't there an audio input beside the vga input on the tv ?

vga is an analog video signal.

dvi and hdmi are digital - dvi will only transmit video - hdmi carries both video and audio.

If you run an audio cable from your laptop headphone or line out jack to the tv rca audio inputs it should work for the sound.

What do you mean when you say the sound "sucks" ?

icecapp
02-02-2010, 05:26 AM
there is a earphone jack on the back of the tv aswell....

right now we have vga to vga, on the laptop from the tv,

Like I said sound quality sucks.. sounds like only one speaker is working

ByrdDawg
02-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Which audio input are you using now - if it is one of the other ones are you using a 1/8 stereo plug at the laptop to the red and white rca audio plugs on the tv ? If so, then sound from only one channel would mean that your cable is bad - try switching the red and white connectors at the tv - if the sound moves to the other speaker, then the cable is bad.

This should work if this is what your input looks like - you will need one of these adapters because that looks like a mono connection - it should come out of both speakers but it won't be true stereo.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/oldawg/connection.jpg

iluvchristian
02-02-2010, 05:07 PM
If you only have the vga cable plugged in, then I would guess the sound would be coming from your laptop, no?

icecapp
02-03-2010, 06:22 AM
I have it hooked up with the cable from laptop to the tv the way the pic shows... WITH NO RCA's

I would like to use the RCAs. But the problem is that with the vga plug it only gives to option to use the earphone to earphone cable as i would call it...

SO my? is that in the manual. it tells me to us a dvi/hdmi then I can use the section of the tv that is circled and says DVI AUDIO IN....

But the problem is the laptop only has a vga plug and not a dvi plug..

So if I get a vga/hdmi and imput the RCA's to the same plug that I would use with the cable dvi/hdmi cable.. Will I still get sound using the RCA's and the VGA/HDMI cord.

just I have to order the VGA/HDMI cable off ebay Cause I just paid 50 buxs for the vga cable to vga cable... so I dont want to spend another load of money on something that might not work..

see If I use the rcas right now I have to put them in a imput section, but I have to actually activate that imput on the t.v. for that componet to work.. such as the pc... I am more alless just looking for better sound quality.. I usually have not problem hooking this stuff up.. I just want to make sure it will work More alless if I am swapping the end of a cable from a DVI to a VGA but using the same section of the tv that would be required to work with a DVI/hdmi cable.

Upper Decker
02-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Is there an external audio system that is used 24/7 in conjunction with this tv? If so why not run video signal to the tv and the audio feed to the stereo if said stereo is there.

icecapp
02-03-2010, 10:39 AM
if said stereo is there.

lol there maybe in the near future lol

Hans
02-03-2010, 12:22 PM
You are not going to get better sound quality out of the TV speakers if you switch to a different audio source. TV speakers are limited.
What's the reason for wanting to hookup the laptop to the TV?

ByrdDawg
02-03-2010, 05:01 PM
I don't think it would - but for 300 bucks this would, i guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwhbkUH2a5s

But for less than that, you could buy a half decent powered speaker system for the laptop.

Hans
02-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Well, I use a WDTVlife and love the device to a point where I don't bother purchasing a Blue Ray player.

V Code
02-03-2010, 09:24 PM
You are not going to get better sound quality out of the TV speakers if you switch to a different audio source. TV speakers are limited.
What's the reason for wanting to hookup the laptop to the TV?

agreed! the way you have it hooked up is fine, your quality will not change. DVI CAN contain audio with its connection/wires, like HDMI, vga can not. if your laptop does not have a dvi or HDMI then your SOL. buy a new laptop with HDMI!!

Cruel_Intentions
02-05-2010, 11:06 AM
You cannot go nativly from VGA to HDMI as VGA is a analogue signal and HDMI is digital. The devices you see on Ebay modify the analouge signal into the digital format required for HDMI.

One problem that may have been overlooked is that on the laptop you are probably using the headphone jack for audio instead of a line out. The problem being (and someone can correct me if I am wrong on this) is that the impedeance for headphones and a standard line out are different and you will never get as good of sound reproduction using a headphone jack to control and external device.

The drivers on some laptops may allow reassignment of the headphone jack to a standard line out and that may give you better sound quality.

Otherwise, if the TV has a true DVI port then you can simply buy (or beg) a DVI to VGA converter and then use a mini-phone (headphone) to RCA cable for audio. One of the nice things about DVI is that it can carry digital (HDMI) or analouge (VGA) signals, as long as the device your connecting too (TV) accepts analouge input on the DVI port (Some don't).

What I would do personally is post the model numbers of the TV and Laptop and then we can look up the manuals online and let you know the best route to go, instead of guessing at what ports/features both devices have.

Hope this helps a bit.

ByrdDawg
02-05-2010, 12:16 PM
You can get decent sound using a headphone out but you have to be very careful with the volume level you are sending to the TV. Headphone out levels are way higher than line out and can overdrive the TV amp, resulting in distorted sound and possible damage to the amp.